Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 8:22:14 PM EDT
Anybody seen one of these, am looking for one! I have a Browning BDA 380 for sale or trade for one. Talked with lots of people at the gun show this weekend, everyone knows of them, but seem to be hiding from me? Next collectable????
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ruger-firearms.com/rvsmall.html doesn't mention a 9mm version of this revolver, probably because 9mm is an autopistol cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger stopped production of this revolver a few years back, I do know that 9mm is an auto cartrige, but ruger made one and I'm looking for one. I have talked with the ruger company about this, they said if they get enough orders for it, they will make another production run of them. It is a little different, but its a 9mm revolver, thank you for your replie.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ruger stopped production of this revolver a few years back, I do know that 9mm is an auto cartrige, but ruger made one and I'm looking for one.

PMFJI but one could peruse a copy of Gun List newspaper for that gun & probably find one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
They're out there somewhere. My dad has one that has had about 20 rounds through it. Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] so that I have your e-mail address and I will ask him if he wants to sell it. I doubt it but I keep trying to convince him to get a Glock 26 instead.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't seen one around here.  There are several revolvers chambered for 9mm auto.  In reality it makes a great revolver cartridge.  I own a S&W M547 which has a special extractor specially made to handle 9mm auto without moon clips.  Ruger has made most of their revolvers in 9mm auto for markets overseas.  Seems a lot of countries want police with revolvers, but common ammo with their military.  

All the Ruger offerings in 9mm require moon clips to extract properly, except the Blackhawk.  Still, moon clips are a really fast way to reload a revolver and the short 9mm case pops right out on even the shortest extractor throw.  Out of a revolver, the 9mm Para sits in between a .38 spec and .357 mag in power out of the same barrel/gun.  Sounds kinda weird with that short case and all, but that's the way it works out.  

If you can find one, buy it.  They're out there.  Just be patient and jump on the right one when it comes by.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Ross! I appriciate the info, they are around, but few. I'm thinking that they are going to be collectable, doesn't seem to matter what it is, if its hard to get, its collectable. Oh well, I like the thrill of the hunt too! I'm going to look into the Smith 547 that you have, as I'm not stuck on Ruger, but did'nt know that there where other 9mm revolers out there, Thanks much for the info, Norm.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The 547 is a "k" frame S&W.  It came in a round-butt 3" and square-butt 4".  Fixed sights, blue.  Unique features are the grips, which were just unique (not any better or worse, just different), and the hammer, which on my 3" is semi bobbed from the factory.  The extractor has little fingers that pop out when you push on the extractor rod.  The fingers go into the extraction grooves and pop out the cases.  No moon clips.  In fact it uses HKS speed-loaders specifically designed for it.  The mechanism sounds fragile or complicated, but it's neither.  It's a sturdy and simple system.  The cases headspace on the rims, just like an auto.  Mine is highly accurate.  Shooting perfect to point of aim with the fixed sights.  I put the standard "K" frame, round-butt Pachmayers on it.  I'd love to find a 4", but you don't see them too much.  They were made for a French contract.  

The same European market resulted in the Speed-six, Service-six, Security six being made in 9mm as well.  They used clips to hold the 9mm in place and for something for the extractor to work against.  

The SP-101 would really shine as a 9mm.  The short cases would really make it easy to use in such a small gun.  You could also load whatever the heck round you wanted and not have to worry about functioning in a revolver.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Ross, thanks for the replies, you've got me thinking about that smith! Going to take my time and check things out. Theres a gun show this weekend I'm going to, do some looking at the nines, starting to like the sounds of that smith better and better, thanks again< Norm. Also, Kevin, thanks you also for the web sites, been to one of them, will be looking over the other two, thanks so much for all you guys help and insite, its been invaluable. Maybe I'll buy one this time and keep it, instead of saying "shit" after I shoot it, and going back to the drawing board! Norm.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Opps, forgot to thank DarkHelmet also, just to let you guys know, he jumped though a couple of hoops for me trying to hook me up with a sp-9mm, real good guy! Thanks, Norm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top