Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 4:41:44 PM EDT
I have a chance to purchase a 1945 Rand for $425.00. The gun has been modified by a gunsmith with trigger work including a skeltonized trigger and hammer.

I have no knowledge about this weapon or it's accuracy and shooting ability.

Any pros or cons?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
WWII vintage U.S.G.I. 1911-A1
Too bad it's altered, but sounds reversable.
Made during the 2nd world war, it was one of the more common makes.
If you can aquire the original parts, it would be worth more, but as is, sounds like a decent buy.
In my years, I have had a few Remington Rands and they were "GI accurate" and were made for hardball originally. All GI parts fit it, afterall it IS a GI! (even the tiny sights)
I wonder how extreme this example was worked over, besides the swapping of a few parts?
It should retain the original parkerized finish, if not, some of the historical value would obviously be affected, but would still be a good shooter. At $425, I would be tempted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't do it. For just a little more you could buy a Springfield mil-spec gun that is probably in better shape and have the comfort of knowing that Springfield stands behind their products if something goes wrong.

The Rem-Rand would have been nice if original, but in it's altered state to me is not worth very much.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
JMO...if you have to ask, then stay away from stuff like this. GI slides are not as hard as commercial guns for a rebuild, which will cost mucho bucks anyway, and God alone knows if the "gunsmith" who worked on it knew what he was doing or if this is a home "hack & whack" job...lots of those out there just waiting for some poor schmuck to drop lots of dollars on. These "bargain" guns start to look real crappy after you sink another $100-200 into them to try and make them work like they did before some clown fu##ed with them.

Springfield will sell you a nice, GI type gun at a fair price and you will at least know that the only monkeys who have touched it are those at the factory.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it if you intend to restore it to its original condition.  If all that's been done is some parts swapping, this is pretty feasible.

Don't bother if you are looking for a shooter to tweak.  

Although that's a pretty good price for a real 1911; you probably won't lose money on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Check with OKLAHOMALAWMAN  he had one,A Remington Rand was graded not the best but unequaled to none,to war time 1911, yes even Colt!  

In orig finnish,they run around 900.00!

Bob  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top