Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 3:23:37 PM EDT
Got my Hi Power back from Novak last week and I am still doing a bit of tweeking here and there ( doing a new, shorter front sight in a minute ) but so far so good, and essentially done.

Browning HP MKIII ( 1993 production )

Sights:  Novak MKII HP Tritium Target Ring with weld up,  fitting and original installation by Novak's in West Viginia.

Grips: Navidrex Micarta, glass beaded blasted, routed and fitted to this specific gun with Acra Glass Gel and Black Brownell's Acra Glass Dye.  All work by me.

Internal Mods: Cylinder and Slide Sear, interface angles cut and stoned by Me.   Magazine safety removed.  Feed ramp and hood polished. Barrel is glass bead finished.  New Wollf Xtra Power Recoil and Firing Pin springs.

External Mods and finish.   Bobbed hammer and shaved hammer back strap to prevent hammer bite.  All surfaces heavy sand blasted then Parkerized and Coated with Dura Coat in Dark O.D. Green and Black.

Shoots like a dream.....I'll have another thread about tech-ing it out later.

Here she is.  More pics to come.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
SCHWING !!

Nice HP!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice. I'm a Browning HP purist, I guess.
 I own an HP hard chrome(listed as Silver Chrome) and all I've done is remove the mag. safety.
This is as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not knocking yours, it's just that I think the HP is great as is. (minus the mag. safety).
To each his own.  Good job, though.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Trust me, I am a purist, too, but for modern work both the HP and the 1911 can do with a BIT of tweaking.  In this instance, I needed new night signts and the style I originally liked is no longer made so I went with the only logical choice, Novaks.

Now as far as the uber tactical finish, my sweat is nearly as acidic as it gets.  Browning, Colt and Smith and Wesson have all made blueing that could take my sweat.....but only for so long.  This HiPower is 13 years old and had been my main conceal carry piece for MANY years....needless to say there was nearly NO blueing left on the gun.

So, after the original MeproLight sights had died and the gun had been left to languish in a coat of oil at the back of my safe for many years, it was time for a change.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Lookin nice.  Hopefully this new coat will withstand the sweat :P  I know my neighbor has that same prob.  He handles all his guns with rubber gloves
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Very nice!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lookin nice.  Hopefully this new coat will withstand the sweat :P  I know my neighbor has that same prob.  He handles all his guns with rubber gloves

I actually have quite a few friends with coated guns and they stand up very well to acidic sweat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
CeraKote is very sweet but you have to constantly keep it mixed in order to get a proper coat...or so I am told.  That being said, I hear it is worth the effort.

Oh...thumb safety is a Cylinder and Slide....got it from Brownell's many, many moons ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top