Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 10:40:41 PM EDT
How bad is the recoil on these revolvers?  I am talking about the light Taurus and smith pistols.

www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=444MULTI&category=Revolver

Everyone i talk to has said it would be so bad you dont want to shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I think depending on the ammo it's shootable.  I have shot 44Mags for about 20yrs now.  The problem I see is Titanium will flex when under stress.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

From the Taurus site:
The light weight makes this the perfect pack gun or sidearm for the hunter.

I haven't shot one of these but I'd imagine that the recoil is considerable.

But that's OK.....I'd put this gun (despite the fact that it's a large frame revolver) in the "Carry a lot, shoot a little" category. I have a few handguns I put in that category--most notable would be my titanium J-frame. It's a great carry gun, but I wouldn't want to put box after box of +P rounds through it at the range.

That Taurus looks like it would be a very nice sidearm in "dangerous game" country.

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My usual practice is to go shoot ~50 rounds on a pistol per session.

I do want somthing loud and powerful, do 4-5" barrel steel .44 mag revolvers recoil alot?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My usual practice is to go shoot ~50 rounds on a pistol per session.

I do want somthing loud and powerful, do 4-5" barrel steel .44 mag revolvers recoil alot?

yes 4" barrels do kick hard and have alot of unburnt powder to make a spectacular fireball

if you wanna make alot of noise without killing yourself (hard recoil just ain't fun!) get the Taurus M44 with porting here.   And the M44 is a heck of alot cheaper than the titanium model
i have the 8" ported model and with Remington 180gr. UMC loads the only handguns louder than mine on the range are .454's and .480's

That  28oz. titanium  pistol would be like grabbing a tiger by the tail with full power loads
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't be much worse than the 11oz .357mags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The recoil is VERY bad.

Full power .44 mag in a 6" bbl full size steel frame will even get your attention.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can't be much worse than the 11oz .357mags.

Those things are a b!tch with full power loads; 5, maybe 10 shots tops before I can't take it anymore.
They are however good for medium velocity snubbie loads that still exceed what you can get from a .38SP +P+.  

The .44 Taurus's might be better suited to using .44SP loads, which is still a damn fine round to protect yourself from man and beast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

if you wanna make alot of noise without killing yourself (hard recoil just ain't fun!) get the Taurus M44 with porting here.   And the M44 is a heck of alot cheaper than the titanium model

I was actually looking at that exact pistol the same day.  The price for the titanium was $470 and the stainless one was $410.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How bad is the recoil on these revolvers?  I am talking about the light Taurus and smith pistols.

www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=444MULTI&category=Revolver

I bought one early last summer.  I've only had it out shooting a couple of times.  That's not a reflection on the revolver, it's just that I usually have other priorities when I find the time to get out to the range.

The first time I took it out to the range, I think I put maybe 21 to 24 rounds through it.  180gr UMC.  I shot the first 6, then loaded up another 6.  The first 6 weren't all that bad.  About half way through the next six, however, I was definitely having some hand stinging.  Sometime while shooting, I became aware of the red insert in the grip pressing into my hand.  Or rather, I could feel the grip to either side of the red insert pressing more into my hand.  Hope that made sense.   I wish I could tell you more, but my experience with revovlers is limited, and that is the only .44 I've ever shot (yeah... I guess that was a big leap on my part - to buy it for my first .44 - but I like the way it feels in my hand and I love the sights... the titanium also drew me in due to some freaky wiring in my brain I suppose ).  I think I paid about 460 for mine after taxes and bg check.  Anyway, it's certainly not something that you are going to spend a lot of time shooting in one outing, but putting a couple of cylinders worth of rounds through it on occasion isn't going to require any physical rehab, either.  Hope this helped you some.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
that a beauty man.i dig the taurus ultra lite titainium in 44 mag.wow whatt a nice carry peice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I bet if you were shooting at a charging bear, you wouldn't feel a thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 629 4" that I took with me hunting and while on my 4 wheeler I could always feel it and worried I would lose it sometimes, but never did.  I then bought a 329PD and never looked back. Yeah, it kicks like a bitch, but if you put the Xframe (model 500) grips on it, it's a lot better. I'm a big guy so the recoil isn't that bad to me and I've rapid fired 6 rounds at a moving target and survived.  Some of my friends have fired the 329 and half don't think it's so bad, while the others swore they never should have shot it. Like the previous poster stated, if a bear was charging you, you won't notice the recoil. Carried alot, shot very little.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the S&W airlite in 44 mag, and the first time I shot it I put it down after 5 rounds and wouldn't pick it back up again until after I bought the pachmyr decelerator grips for it.  I now have the grips on it and it's MUCH better now, I still wouldn't want to fire more than 20 or 30 rounds out of it at a time, but the whole idea behind the revolver is to have the heavy caliber in an emergency without having to carry the heavy gun around all the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Is 410 a good price for the 4" SS taurus .44 mag?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is 410 a good price for the 4" SS taurus .44 mag?

Sounds decent to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If at all possible, see if you can try one first.  I have a 29 mountain gun that I can put 100 rounds through in a session.  Never really gets to me.  I have friends that refuse to try it though.  Except for this one skinny girl and she likes it.  Recoil perception varies a lot.  But those titanium mothers are snappy!  Always seem to be a few used ones at the fun shop...  Personally, I think the 357 titanium ones are worse than the .44's.  Makes the hand all tingly
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
there's a problem with lightweight hard recoiling revolvers where the bullets actually move forward outta the casings from recoil, causing the cylinder to lock up. (i think it's called 'set-back')

the lightweight titanium handguns are good for alot of carry and a little shooting.

i say get the M44 i linked you to previously
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh yeah, the other problem with these little charmers it that you actually have to test them with the ammunition you plan to use...  If you feel the need for .44 mag ballistics, then you might as well carry full-power 44 mag loads.  I'll bet it would be a short list of volunteers to fire off a couple of dozen 300gr Buffalo Bore's for a function test!  If you are going end up with 44 special equivilant loads, buy a G20/29, double your mag capacity and have a handgun that's faster to shoot and reload.  But the testing is key, since I think these ultralights are pushing the envelope.  

I thought my 38+p titanium S&W would be the perfect hiking gun.  Very light and probably fine for anything I'd need it for (not planning for bear).  I'd put a couple of hundred .38 specials through it and it seemed to be fine.  Tried it out with +p loads before the trip and it locked up after 3 rounds.  Seems the forcing cone wasn't cut right and the recoil is so fast and sharp with the +p rounds that copper was peeling off at the top of the cylinder and binding it.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm with Luopo.  Just got a 329 PD this week end and I'm very impressed.  Got it on the way to the range and didn't have any .44 loads with me so I picked up a box of PMCs when I got there.  The recoil is stout of course but I put the box through in half an hour and my hands are fine.  But I got the gun to fire ".44 Supers", 10 gr. or so of Unique beneath 240 gr. lead,   where I think it will be the perfect carry gun in certain situations.  It is unbelievably light and I've ordered a Galco Silhouette which will make it go away with the infamous Hawaiian shirt, for me anyway.  Certainly not something to wear to the symphany but maybe not just for the back wood either.  A 240 gr, lead bullet at 1000 fps or so is pretty much hot 45 ACP ballistics but from a very stable, accurate and reliable platform.  I have my share of 1911's and have had nothing but good luck with them but this 329 has potential.

Quoted:
I had a 629 4" that I took with me hunting and while on my 4 wheeler I could always feel it and worried I would lose it sometimes, but never did.  I then bought a 329PD and never looked back. Yeah, it kicks like a bitch, but if you put the Xframe (model 500) grips on it, it's a lot better. I'm a big guy so the recoil isn't that bad to me and I've rapid fired 6 rounds at a moving target and survived.  Some of my friends have fired the 329 and half don't think it's so bad, while the others swore they never should have shot it. Like the previous poster stated, if a bear was charging you, you won't notice the recoil. Carried alot, shot very little.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top