Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 11:24:04 AM EDT
So I have been carrying for about a year now. I would say I only carry about 70% of the time with me being at work, drinking or around family. However while at the range last week a guy asked me why I didn't carry a extra magazine. I've never really thought about it, but would like to assume that with 8 rounds I would hit some part of the person I was trying to aim at!

With that said, what are your reasons for carrying extra ammo?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
In case I miss with the first 16 rounds, or they don't finish the job.

Haha.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Because one night I was too lazy to bring my spare mag with and I ended up in a firefight where the motherfucker ended up doing a staggered .45 ammo dump on my friend & I. I had the 7 and I was counting desperately, knowing I needed some exit rounds. If I had the extra mag lots of things could have gone better. Thank God they didn't get worse. NEVER again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
  Yeah I hear ya on that! However I only have 8 to get it done.  I think for me it would be more of an state of mind thing. If missing I would have extra ammo, or if I was in a situation where there were multiple people I would need to engage.

Or heck I guess accuracy by volume isn't a bad idea if it's not a populated area rught
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 26 in a C-Tac with a minimum of 37 rounds every time I leave the house. Two 10rnd, and one 17rnd. If im wearing a coat I usualy take another 17rnd with. You never know when or where the poo poo is going to hit the fan.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Dupe
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=27584

2 (or more) spare mags for me, always; regardless of what i am carrying
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a spare for both primary weapon and back up gun.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
While carrying you gun, extra mags, flashlight how do you not leave a print while carrying in warm weather.

When it's warm in Washington I find it hard to conceal it without wearing a light jacket over my t-shirt! I have for both guns a inside the belt holster. It's comfy but leaves the handle of the pistol exposed a little. I can't imagine having all the extra stuff. The mags wouldn't be a problem I don't think however`
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While carrying you gun, extra mags, flashlight how do you not leave a print while carrying in warm weather.

When it's warm in Washington I find it hard to conceal it without wearing a light jacket over my t-shirt! I have for both guns a inside the belt holster. It's comfy but leaves the handle of the pistol exposed a little. I can't imagine having all the extra stuff. The mags wouldn't be a problem I don't think however`

this is what i carry everyday (outside of school at least); h/w, during the summer, i cut it down to 1 tac light, and if i am wearing shorts, i leave out the G26 and mag:

i wear size 32W khakis (i'm a 30); loose, Lg Tshirt, belt
2 mags for primary HG hang OWB via belt clips; 1 extra for the G26 goes in my pocket; rest of the stuff goes in 1 of my 4 pockets

oh and as to reasons, consider this: 2 yrs ago, my folk's corner store was robbed by 3 Af Am gangbangers, strong arm, through the front door, 1 long arm clearly visable....

think 8 rnds is enough?
i certainanly as hell did not think so besides, extra mags are helpful if your auto jams unexpectedly

point being: no one said that there will ONLY be 1 BG who tries to do you harm; you can NOT have too much ammo, but you can have insufficient amts of ammo; when the SHTF, it hits HARD; carry a spare and another, of everything if possible
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Extra mag(s) means much more than just Extra ammo.  

You should take some Combat Handgun courses, Wubbie.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't agree more. I was actually looking into some classes locally. Now all I need is an extra 150.00! So hopefully soon@!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Spare mag, ALWAYS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you swiming?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#15]
A spare mag.  I like having 30 on tap for my Glock 19.

Max
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, because gang members attack in gangs. Seven shots would probably be plenty for 1 person but what about four or five?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/000_0923_1.jpg

How do you carry the Hisattsu? Neat knife.

Anyway, I carry a spare mag, always. Not for the ammo, but in case the mag fails. Mags are the weak point in the system. I need to get some more Beretta and PPK/S mags.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]
No one has ever been criticized for having "too many rounds available" as a deterrent.........!  3 or 4 extra clips for my Kimber works well for me...!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
3 extra mags all the time, total 41 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No one has ever been criticized for having "too many rounds available" as a deterrent.........!  3 or 4 extra clips for my Kimber works well for me...!

Is that some kind of Kali gun where you have to load a clip threw the ejection port?

I plan on carrying 2 extra mags for my Kimber CDP it just makes sense
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/000_0923_1.jpg

How do you carry the Hisattsu? Neat knife.

On my belt just behind my weak side hip and just in front of my spare GLOCK mag. I carry it tip up, edge facing rearward for a very fast draw into a reverse grip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I always have a "New York" reload and generally an extra mag on me (works for both guns).  The cars and truck have extra mags available also.  Almost forgot the Bug!  I should have enough.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because one night I was too lazy to bring my spare mag with and I ended up in a firefight where the motherfucker ended up doing a staggered .45 ammo dump on my friend & I. I had the 7 and I was counting desperately, knowing I needed some exit rounds. If I had the extra mag lots of things could have gone better. Thank God they didn't get worse. NEVER again.

huh? details..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I always carry one extra mag. As previously mentioned both for weapon malfunctions and for extra ammo. On a very very rare occassion will carry a second spare mag or a bug. I would probably carry a second backup mag more often it was more convenient.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Three at work.  One or two off duty.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Two 17 rounders
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I carry 1 mag in the weapon and 2 mags on my person. If I die in a gunfight, I do not want it to be because I lack the abililty to shoot back. Taking a combat gun course is a good thing, you will be amazed on how many misses compared to how many hits will be made when your heart rate is elevated to 115 to 145 bpm and the instructors are screaming in your ears. Like all things, combat shooting should be practiced regularly to become proficient. With regular practice in stress shooting your heart rate will eventually stay normal and your hit to miss ratio will improve.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I carry an extra magazine all the time. Right now it is, 8+8.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I've not carried a spare mag 2 times.  Other than that, at this point I always carry 1 spare mag.  Gives me a total of 25.  I'm looking at getting another spare for my normal carry gun with summer approaching and the city going to hell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
When I carry, I carry one spare mag, primarily for magazine malfunctions, but also reloadability.  I only use factory hi-caps for any weapon or Wilson Combats for my 1911; in other words, magazine-related malfunctions have yet to be a problem (except for M9 mags in Iraq).
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#31]
2 reasons I carry extra (2 mags/16 rounds mostly.) First like the Witch said, for malfunctions but also just in case I get pinned down and can't beat feet the hell out of there. Nothing worse in my mind then some nut job terrorizing the place with an AK and me out of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dupe
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=27584

2 (or more) spare mags for me, always; regardless of what i am carrying

I remember that one, the thread got locked because of people fighting I'm not crying Dupe here because I'm hoping this thread will turn out better than the last one.  

As for the topic: carry as many mags as you are able to comfortably carry and reasonably conceal.  Also make sure you are able to actually reach your mags quickly without having to fumble or look through a bunch of other stuff (particularly applies to women who use purses).  

2 to 4 spare mags, plus 1 in the gun, is enough for most situations.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top