Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:44:27 PM EDT

I'll post more pics after I get the frame in the machine shop to mill off the factory "panels" and modify it to use 1911 grips.

I still don't know if the grip wall will be thick enough to epoxy some 1911 grip screw bushings in or if I will have to epoxy some 1911 grips in place with holes drilled for the pin.

I'll post pics of the finished goods and some of it in process, if I think about it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I lost my patience and went at it with a dremel.  It got the job done, but it took a lot longer than it would have if I had access to the Bridgeport I love to use.

And here's a quick mock-up:

Now I have to install the 1911 grip screw bushings.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
There were a couple "how-to"s on this over at www.mkii.org.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There were a couple "how-to"s on this over at www.mkii.org.

I havent' seen one for the MKIII yet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right. I didnt notice the MKIII.

Is there a difference in the process between doing it for a MKII 22/45 and a MKIII 22/45?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're right. I didnt notice the MKIII.

Is there a difference in the process between doing it for a MKII 22/45 and a MKIII 22/45?

There isn't a whole lot of difference.  The MKII model needs officer's size grips.  The MKIII can use full size grips.

The factory "panel" on a MKIII is thinner than a MKII so it is actually easier to modify.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Broken Gun Ranch did my MKII 22/45. I'll try to post pics later!

www.brokengunranch.com/

teamroper
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's an integrally suppressed one I did.  Grips are STI with Ruger button inletted.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Too cool.  Tagged for later to consult for info...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, my bushings finally came in and I got them installed.

It looks great and feels like a real gun now.

I ended up drilling the holes to 7/32" and I let the bushing thread its way in.  Start with a smaller bit and work your way up.  You need to constantly check the location of the bushing holes in relation to the holes in the grip to make sure everything is lined up.  If you figure out that the hole isn't in the right place, you can always try to fix it with one of the smaller bits.  I put JB Weld on the threads and around the flange of the bushings to hold them in place.

Here's a pic of the finished product before I applied the JB Weld (didn't want to wait to have to wait to post pics).

If you try this mod, do yourself a favor and slightly countersink the holes to make the bushings easier to start.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
--nice!

tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top