Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 10:58:47 AM EDT
Like single action, double action/single action, double action only, ect

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer SA, but DA/SA isn't that bad either. I currently use two DA/SAs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Single
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
SA>DAO>DA/SA in my book.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't personally have a preference.  I carry a DAO style gun (well, striker fired, or whatever.  When I pull the trigger it goes bang, and there's no hammer) and a DA/SA depending on my mood.  I'd really like to get a 1911 as well.  I'm just comfortable and confident enough to be personally confident with whatever style I might have.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Single Action Only.  Rephrased, Browning Hi Power.

Also shoots USPc, but that's just for summer sweat beater.

I like Glock Safe Action too.  Just prefer BHP by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I like a smooth triggered 9mm high capacity DA/SA with a fast ambi safety the best.  To be exact I prefer my Beretta's the most with there triggers lightened and loaded with +p EFMJ's or HydraShok's. The trigger are very nice to me and the safety is easily switched off beforehand if I'm going somewhere it should be.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
single action
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Most preferred, SA.
Followed by, DAO.

I like to keep the trigger pull consistent, im not a big fan of DA/SA guns like Sigs, and some HKs.

SA, most preferred due to crisp trigger break, consistency, and it is what I am most used to.
DAO, 2nd preferred, a nice smooth DOA around 9lbs isn't too bad if you put the time in to learning how to draw the weapon and manipulate the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#10]
DA/SA because of the doublestrike capability.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Single Action.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Single

+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Double action for at least the first shot. I think it lessens the chnace of a ND while carrying, drawing, whatever yet still allows for a single handed draw and shoot. And before the cocked and locked crowd "draws down" on me I have to say I sometimes carry a BHP cocked and locked but there have been a couple of times the safety got moved to the off position while riding in the holster. That kinda scares me and is why I prefer DA or DA/SA for daily use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
SAFE ACTION®!!!

I prefer a fairly short, light trigger and NO external safety gizmos. I have almost completed switching all of my defensive handguns to this type of action. When done I will have a GLOCK 34, 2-GLOCK 19s, a Khar PM9, and a Kel-Tec P-32. This will keep everythig simple, intuitive and working in the same general fashion. I have had DA/SA and single action autos in the past, but have gotten rid of all but one which is soon to go.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Single action.

My next job will likely dictate that I carry a DA off duty, so I'll go to DA/SA.

DAO is last choice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Single.

Second best is glock safe action.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
KISS.... "Keep It Simple Stupid"............    GLOCK.... Reliable, easy to clean, same trigger pull each time.
I apply the KISS principle to rifles too.  AK's
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
DA/SA
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Single, in the flavor of 1911 of HK.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have a big preference.  I've carried SA, revolvers, TDA (i.e SA/DA), DAO (THAT one I don't like).  What I prefer to carry is what I'm either training with, or most comfortable with training wise at the time.  

Currently I carry a TDA.

The action means little.  It's far more important to match the action to your training.

It's the shooter that matters.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
SA (1911)/DAO

I feel SA works best for small hands, and I like the recovery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sometimes carry a BHP cocked and locked but there have been a couple of times the safety got moved to the off position while riding in the holster.

could you remember the type of holster you carring the BHP in? Just curious to see which one(s) caused it to do that..
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Use to carry a DA/SA, but now have the HK LEM (light (7.5lb) DAO with short reset) and really like it. Same as Sig DAK I think.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry double post..
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Single, in the flavor of 1911 of HK.

+1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Single Action Only.  Preferably the 1911 or the Browning HP.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]
All my carry guns are DAO.  No safeties to worry about in a time of stress, consistant trigger pull and works @ the same across most handguns and MFGs (most people have guns from various MFGs).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I was wondering because I like single action
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sometimes carry a BHP cocked and locked but there have been a couple of times the safety got moved to the off position while riding in the holster.

could you remember the type of holster you carring the BHP in? Just curious to see which one(s) caused it to do that..

I will check into it later, look for this post to be editted.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]
DA/SA.  2 Steps versus 3.
I like safety off pull to fire.  Versus.  Safety off, cock, pull to fire.
I do not belive in Cocked and Locked.  If it's cocked I should be ready to fire.  Locked at that point adds another step.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I do not belive in Cocked and Locked.  If it's cocked I should be ready to fire.  Locked at that point adds another step.  IMHO.

Whether it's in DA mode or cocked, you're still flicking the safety off. I like DA/SA with a safety, ala HK.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#32]
As an old fan of the 1911 pistols, I used to think DA triggers were terrible. (The only ones I had tried were old revolvers. I couldn't hit anything with them in DA and  they prejudiced me for some time on DA.) But then I got a modern Taurus PT745. I don't mind the long trigger draw as it's smooth and takes up nicely. You can preload the trigger to the ramp up point and hold it as part of your brace while aiming and then finish the squeeze as though it were a SA trigger.
From a home defense standpoint, I wanted saftey, accuracy and reliability.
The Taurus gave me 2 out of 3 anyway. It's at Taurus now being repaired as it won't fire reliably. If they fix that, it's a gem of a pistol.
But I see the DA as a safe trigger. You really have to mean it to squeeze off a shot. Only a retard could pull this trigger by accident. The built in gun lock is a nice feature. I can stock it loaded and cocked with the lock engaged and the slide, trigger and firing pin are all imobilized. That's good for safe storage loaded. My wife and I have the keys. One twist and it's ready to use. It's our one gun we keep out of the safe. It is compact and hard hitting and holds 7 rounds with one in the chamber. My wife is a pretty fair shot and can handle this pistol well and shoot it comfortably. That's important. So it's a good tool for either of us if needed. And I just like 45's. If someone tried to come through that front door, one shot with a .45 HP round would knock them right back out of the door. So I believe choosing the right caliber is important for home defense.
Accuracy? At 30' I can keep all  the rounds in the bullseye. At 51' I can keep them in the eight ring. For me, that's very good for a pistol with only a 3.2" barrel. My wife keep all her shots at 30' well within the body mass on the target with an eye for bullseyes, kidney hits and testicle hits. Maybe it's a female thing, but if any guy tried to come through that door who wasn't welcome, they'd be useless as an organ donor after she finished with them.
Reliability? It has to fire and feed every time. It has to handle ball and HP ammo reliably.

If my XD 45 acp had the Taurus built in gun lock on it, that would be my pick as an ideal home defense gun. But since it is "hot" as soon as you pick it up, I prefer to keep it locked up as we have teenagers in the house. I can shoot the XD even better than the Taurus. It's more accurate at 51' with it's slightly longer barrel. Both are great bullseye takers. And it feeds and fires with perfect, so far, reliability. And it's Glock style trigger has superb feel. It's a much larger gun and holds twice as many rounds. Seems excessive to me. Like killing fleas with a hammer. The Taurus's capacity is fine and the gun is smaller, lighter and very compact and easy to handle.

There's my take on gun features and home defense. I'll take hitting power, safety, reliability and accuracy in my defense oriented handgun. SA or DA doesn't matter as long as you can handle well what you choose. But I give DA the nod slightly ahead of SA for home defense since it is less likely to be fired by accident.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You should look into some firearms training.

AR's are carried cocked and locked...do you not believe in that either?

And furthermore, whats the logic behind "safety off, cock, pull to fire".  The USP is the only firearm that would even allow you to do this, and that being said, you'd still only have to pull the trigger assuming it was a V1, since its still a DA/SA firearm.

1911's and Mk23's dont even let you engage a safety unless the hammer is back.

For the 1911, thats because with the hammer forward, the trigger doesnt do shit.  The only thing a forward hammer does on a 1911 (assuming your chamber is loaded) is make your firearm unsafe.

Theres a reason most DA firearms don't have a safety and only a decocker.  If you're not comfortable around cocked and locked, or DA without a safety, I feel bad for those around you while handling a firearm.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I like a consistent action, DAO or SA.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#35]
DA/SA

In the middle of the night I don't want to have to remember if the damn thing is cocked or not. I want to pull the trigger and it go BANG. Point blank.

SA is nice for targets and percision but when the shit hits DA is simple and easy.

*flame suit on*
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock Safe Action or SA 1911
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Single action.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

HK's LEM is a modified DAO with doublestrike capabilities.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Double action for at least the first shot. I think it lessens the chnace of a ND while carrying, drawing, whatever yet still allows for a single handed draw and shoot. And before the cocked and locked crowd "draws down" on me I have to say I sometimes carry a BHP cocked and locked but there have been a couple of times the safety got moved to the off position while riding in the holster. That kinda scares me and is why I prefer DA or DA/SA for daily use.

That has happened with my Para-Ord P12 also.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#41]
All my handguns are DA/SA, as that is what I started with and am comfortable with. This is also a function of the pistols I like to buy (mainly Walthers).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top