Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:07 PM EDT
Hello all,

Here is my dillema.  I have a mint Sig P-226 9mm that was made in the mid 90's and only has about 500 round through it.  It has a great trigger pull and is....well.....a Sig!  The problem is I like the feel of a M-92FS as well and is better suited for left handed shooters like me.  So.......should I make the plunge and trade it for a brand new M-92FS or keep the Sig?  Like I stated before, the Sig is like new in the box with two spare unused mags in the wrap.  Help me out guys.

Pete
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the Sig.  Much better weapon over all.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1  Save up some $$$ and get used Berettas here
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Save up some $$$ and get used Berettas here

Thank you for the link.  If I did get rid of the Sig, it would be for a new Beretta.  So I see a pattern here to keep the Sig.  Anyone else have some input?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
They're both equals in my eyes.  If one fits you better than the other, you already answered your question.

Beretta is a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Beretta is a fine weapon, but SigArms is just a bit better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Both are top quality pistols. If the Beretta fits you better, get the Beretta.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Berettas are made well enough that a used Beretta is just as good a new one, aside fron cosmetic wear.  I have a M9 with about 10,000 rounds throught it and it still shoots as good if not better then it did when it was new.  Sigs will be the same way so I would go with what feels the best.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a lefty and I use both extensively (My duty weapon is a P229, and I carried the M9 in Iraq), and, IMHO, I rate the Sig an order of magnitude better (and more accurate) than the Beretta.  If you practice long enough and develop your muscle memory, you will be just as fast (if not faster) than the right handers when it comes to handling the Sig.....

ETA: Not trying to start a Sig/Beretta flame war, I just like the Sig better.....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a SIG P226 in 9mm and I consider it a far superior firearm to a Beretta M92F; I carry an M9 in the military and although the M9 is a good weapon, it doesn't hold the candle to a SIG.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig is just a better all around gun
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
There both fine weapons and having only recently sold my P226R to buy another Beretta, a 92FS, there is nothing that is better about the Sig. It's a fine pistol, but better is just an opinion, as is mine of course. I like the Beretta far more than the Sig myself also being a lefty as the Beretta is more lefty friendly and has a ambi safety, but it also has a chromelined barrel that will outlast the P226 barrel. Both are accurate, both are made very well, both have good quality mags available for cheap to reasonable prices. It's just which one feels better to you and has the features you like more that matters. I haven't felt a pistol yet that feels as good in my hands a 92FS in a wrap around Hogue finger groove grip and I enjoy shooting more. I had my Sig P226R in Hogue FG's too, but it just wasn't as good in fit as my M9 and my 92FS now also. Use what feels and works best to you, not someone else.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
You should just get the Beretta. After you play with both for a while you’ll see which one you tend to like shooting more. I had both, but ended up selling my Sig because I never carried it anymore. You’re right about the trigger though. Beretta has a much nicer trigger. Of course I would highly recommend a trigger job for both guns. If you have large hands like I do you might like the Beretta better. But if have smaller hands you might like the Sig better. As for being a lefty, you can change the magazine catch around for both pistols. It’s all about personally preference though. But I think they are both the best 9mm pistols around. So whatever you choose you can’t go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok... I'm gonna go out on a Looooooooooonngg thin limb here... but I would consider buying a PT92

Let the flaming begin...  

David

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I've regreted every gun I have ever sold except for my POS AK-74. I would keep the SIG and buy a new Berreta when you get the money. You never know, your son or daughter might one day want that SIG and you'll have sold it and be sorry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have't lived to regret it yet, but I bought a HK P2000 & traded my Sig Pro .40 for my BM A3 M4... I really liked my Sig Pro... but I shot better w/my P2000...

I do wish now, that I had just bought my Bushy outright.

Hope this might help.

David
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Should I trade my Sig for a Beretta???  

HELL NO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Something else to add the beretta most of them anyway have plastic triggers and guide rods, which  main synthetic components on a metalic framed pistol is shitty IMO which when I looked at about 4 different types of model 92's I was pretty surprised. The only models with metal triggers and guide rods are the Inox series and the brigadeer, and I havent seen the new model A1's yet but I heard they are coming with metalic parts unless beretta got cheap on those too and put the synthetic parts in them as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Something else to add the beretta most of them anyway have plastic triggers and guide rods, which  main synthetic components on a metalic framed pistol is shitty IMO which when I looked at about 4 different types of model 92's I was pretty surprised. The only models with metal triggers and guide rods are the Inox series and the brigadeer, and I havent seen the new model A1's yet but I heard they are coming with metalic parts unless beretta got cheap on those too and put the synthetic parts in them as well.

I agree it is disheartening to see all those plastic parts after decades of nice metal being used.  But plastics have been proven to hold their own and I doubt Beretta would forsake their reputation of being one of the best just to save a few bucks.

Luckily I have an INOX, and it is sweet.  

I'd save the $ and get a Beretta.  You will always regret a gun sale.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Sig.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't worry too much about any polymer parts on there working well, but they are very easy to change out if you want them to be metal. The new Beretta's and I do believe it's all new models from what I've seen, come with a metal trigger that is polymer covered, the mag release is polymer with metal inserts, a polymer lanyard loop, and polymer guide rod. I have so far keep the mag release, lanyard loop, and trigger, but I prefer a steel guide rod in any action and have changed both of mine out to Wolff steel blued for 25.00 a pop.
One nice and easy way to tune the trigger a little more on a Beretta 92FS or like model without having a trigger job done is to change the hammer spring out to a "D" hammer spring which is about 4 dollars on average and lightens both the DA and SA while not effecting function in any way. It's a small but another plus to the Beretta's.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
The 92FS trigger can easily be lightened with the use of a $5.00 spring and five minutes of your time (something that can't be said about the SIG).

The 92FS mag catch can be reversed for lefties (can't recall whether SIG allows this)

The SIG wins on sights, though: the 92FS lacks a front dovetail.

I have observed my 92FS to be slightly more reliable than my SIG, probably because of the open top slide, but your mileage may well vary.

I have observed my SIG to be more accurate than my 92FS, probably due to tighter lockup at the muzzle.

Pick the one you like best, you can hardly go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sig.

1+  duhI 't belive I even wasted my time with this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, it seems like everyone that has experience with the two personally owned has come to the same conclusion.

They're both damn near equal in terms of performance.  Only difference between the two of mine is that I personally like the trigger more on the Beretta.  Some prefer sig.  One thing that I KNOW for sure is, the Beretta has a better finish- its less prone to rust, and it also doesn't require as much oil to run properly.  My beretta has functioned wet, dry, caked with mudd, etc.  My sig had some issues until I started giving it more oil.

Given the information provided, I will reiterate my original point.  If one feels better to you than the other, that should be, and is, the only issue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Both are fine weapons, but the best weapon for YOU is what fits YOU best.  

The SIG's seem to have a higher resale value (around here anyway) but that means squat if you dont intend to sell or trade it.  

But whats 50-100 bucks of resale value in the long run or grand scheme of things?   Not a whole hell of a lot.  

Get the weapon that suites you best.  That Beretta has been around a LONG time and is still very popular among Law Enforcement Agencies.  In fact the FHP here uses them.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep the Sig or send it to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I think something to consider is the manual of arms of both weapons. If you prefer the slide mounted safety over the frame mounted decocker or vice versa would be the deal maker or breaker for me.

As far as which is better, that's nothing more than personal preference. Both are top quality pistolas.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#28]
+1 for going with which ever feels best to you. They are both great sidearms.

(bigger +1 to "get both")
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#29]
WOW!!  Thanks for all of the input guys.  I did not know Beretta uses plastic triggers  I guess if I do get a 92, it will be an older model.  Thanks again.
Pete
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll seriously buy that SIG from you if you choose to sell.  IM sent!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top