Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:15:18 PM EDT
I was looking at getting my first handgun.  Looking for an auto pistol.  Any suggestions from fellow lefties.  I am open to any quality brand... SIG, Glock, XD, etc.  Looking at 9mm, or 45apc.
Thanks all.

Edit: forgot to add since I am in NY also looking for a pistol that has high cap PRE-ban mags available.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
glock or 1911.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not mistaken, HK makes left handed models of the USP.  They'll be pricy, though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the above have Preban mag capabilities.

I sold all my beautiful Pre ban Para P14 mags with extended floor plates (15+1 cap) to someone who had an XD. He reported they work perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
SIG
I'm a lefty and I can manioulate  my SIG with 0 problems.  Release mag and decock with your trigger finger, sling-shot the slide for everything else.

See if you can't get your hands on a few of the big brands, even in NY.  Maybe at an indoor range that allows you to rent them.  You'll be able to focus your list a little bit better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
easy--cz85.  it is ambi and takes the same mags as the 75 so 16 round mags are around but aren't as cheap as glock mags.  but they feel a lot better in the hand than a glock too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SIG
I'm a lefty and I can manioulate  my SIG with 0 problems.  Release mag and decock with your trigger finger, sling-shot the slide for everything else.

See if you can't get your hands on a few of the big brands, even in NY.  Maybe at an indoor range that allows you to rent them.  You'll be able to focus your list a little bit better.

THANKS GUYS!   sWs11, a couple of friends suggested that I rent to try them out.  There is a range here on LI that does that rentals.  I am going to try a few.  I just wanted to see what other peoples real world longer term experience was.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
HK USP would be good, big and lefty friendly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
SIGs do have fat grips.  I know cause I have small hands and my SIG lasted no more than a year in my arsenal...Try P220 or P226 as they have the widest grips.

Quoted:
SIG

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig- would work for ya since your right thumb wouldnt have the chance to mess with the slide lock.

Glock- well, it doesnt really have any controls other than a mag release- which I think you can change over to be lefty friendly- slide lock...whatever

HK- P2000 series is FULLY ambidextrous.  USP series has an ambi mag release, and you can get ambi safety as well.  Slide lock is not ambi, but you don't really need one anyways.  USP .45 pre-ban mags ARE available.  I got a few I wouldn't mind parting with that I know for a fact are legit pre-bans.

1911- Mag release can be ambi, safety can be ambi, slide lock is not, but just like the USP, it really isnt needed.

Give em all a shot and see what works for ya.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm left handed and I find Glocks to be very easy to use, followed closely by a 1911A1 with ambi safety.

Since you have large hands a .45ACP or 10mm Glock would be perfect. A G17 fits great in my smallish hands.

It also helps that I am dexterous enough to be able to operate the mag catch with the middle finger of my left hand with the Glock still in my left hand and not break my grip! It makes for very fast mag changes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
As one big handed lefty to another, it's still what works and feels best to you. Even for another big handed lefty the same pistol may not be setup and balanced to your liking. You should try as many out as possible. As your first pistol you should probably look at a pistol with a safety till you get use to having and using one, and learn safer carrying practices for a non safetied pistol which will have an double action first pull (heavier) as it's trigger control on average. Fit and feel is very important with finding a good pistol for you, besides spending your money on something of good quality. One pistol that is very good for a lefty in setup, very reliable, cheap for spare mags, has lots of accessories for and is in wide use, is the Beretta 92FS. After shooting many others, it is also my favorite, and as it happens I  now have a 92FS and an M9.

Beretta 92FS
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I as a lefty would also mention the beretta 92 which has the ambi safe reversible mag catch and has the least expensive high caps around .a close second would be the sig 226. To the other posters remember we live in NY and can only have pre-ban high caps. Glocks are not a bad choice but high caps in cals other than 9mm will be hard to find and costly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn commi state gun laws, sorry. Sadly a bunch of my family lives in NewYork state too.
With that in mind and that you'd be restricted to 10 rounds, it might be better to just buy a .45 with that capacity or close as a normal thing and learn to use well like any firearm you buy. I prefer the higher capacity myself and to be able to put two holes in someone than just one and still defend against the same number of people, but in your case the .45 is probably a better choice. Hopefully all the hype of a .45 being so much more powerful and effective will be somewhat true.

These are another great choice for a lefty also.

Ruger

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
all rugers have ambi safeties or decockers--if they have either.  and most have ambi mag release.  slide stop is the only non-ambi control.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

make it 3. I am lefty and have big hands, all I carry are HK USPs. I hate the controls on the sigs even though they shoot nice. I don't like glocks for the lack of safety. Get a V2 USP and you will be happy
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

make it 3. I am lefty and have big hands, all I carry are HK USPs. I hate the controls on the sigs even though they shoot nice. I don't like glocks for the lack of safety. Get a V2 USP and you will be happy

Must resist...argh...can't..do...it...eh fuck it, not like ya'll couldn't see it coming.

+4
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
You could get a Bersa Thunder Fullsize. Ambi controls, 17 +1  in 9mm. It is basically a Walther P88 copy. I just picked up my T9 ultra compact 9mm today. I'm impressed with the quality. I can't wait to take it shooting. I paid $360 out the door.

Bersa Thunder High Capacity

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I am also a lefty and am able to manupulate all the functions of the USP.  If this is just a range gun, Sig would also be a great option.  If it's a CCW, I wouldn't consider Sig unless you can figure out a way to lock the slide back with your left hand.  The first step in clearing a double feed malfunction is to lock the slide back.  If you have to fumble around and switch hands to clear a malfunction during a gun fight, you might not make it out alive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I taught myself how to shoot righthanded.  There were several reasons for this, the first being my left elbow couldn't take the constant pounding and would ache after a long day at the range (I had surgery a couple of years ago...still have 11 screws, a couple of pins, and a metal strap wrapped around the place that most people use for propping themselves up on a table, sigh).  Second, this makes gun choice a non-issue, as all are made for righty's.

Now the gun feels more comfortable in my right hand than my left, but I can still shoot it pretty well with the left hand occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks again everyone!  How hard is it to find pre-ban mags for the HK in 45?

I am going to try a few before I buy.  The pistol licensing process here in NY sucks.  I probably have a few more months till I get approved.  So plenty of time to shop.

The pistol would be for range use not carry.  Trying to get a carry permit in NY is next to impossible unless you are Howard Stern!  He has a NYC carry permit which is next to impossible to get.  With that in mind is the HK USP the full size model that you guys really like.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Consider the USP Tac.  It has a smoother trigger. If you have lots of $$ set aside for this purchase, you might consider a MK23.  If you can find pre-ban mags, the price probably won't be worth the extra 2 rds.  

ETA: Found factory new pre-ban HK mags at KY Imports for $99.99.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Must resist...argh...can't..do...it...eh fuck it, not like ya'll couldn't see it coming.

+4

Can't go wrong with one...

+5
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Consider the USP Tac.  It has a smoother trigger. If you have lots of $$ set aside for this purchase, you might consider a MK23.  If you can find pre-ban mags, the price probably won't be worth the extra 2 rds.  

ETA: Found factory new pre-ban HK mags at KY Imports for $99.99.

Just checked out the HK website...

MSRP
Mark 23 - $2412

That is a lot coin!!  I could get like 4 regular USPs for that price.  I am sure the street price is lower but is it really worth it?  The Tac is more reasonable but I am never going to put a can on it here in NY.

I looked up the pre-ban mags and like you said for 2 rounds it is not worth 2x the price.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Its not just the can you can put on it.. Match trigger and .5 inch more barrel = higher fps... MK23 is the badest of bad, but Tac is real close...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't have an HK, but all USPs can be convereted to lefty (at least the variants with selectors) by an armorer.  Mags are expensive.

Glock.  I am a lefty, and it's become my primary pistol (G17).

Sig.  As mentioned earlier, I use trigger finger for mag release and decocker, then slingshot the slide.  

Beretta.  I hate it because of the grip angle, but I dump mags with the trigger finger.   Support hand decocks and slingshots the slide.

1911.  My fav with the Glock.  Ambi thumb safety.  Slide lock and mag release are manipulated by my trigger finger.

Browning HP.  Same as above.

CZ 85 is another good choice, or the Baby Eagle.  Don't know about suppressor for these, but the other are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I have magazines that are all legit pre-bans.  Find me some new or used post ban ones, and whatever price ya find is what I'll sell mine to you for.  

As long as I can replace mine, I'd have no problem selling mine off to help out a ban state member.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have magazines that are all legit pre-bans.  Find me some new or used post ban ones, and whatever price ya find is what I'll sell mine to you for.  

As long as I can replace mine, I'd have no problem selling mine off to help out a ban state member.

Thanks Marksman!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top