Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 11:09:08 AM EDT
Why do some people find the need to use a different holster at the range than they do when carrying their pistol. I see this and read about it all the time. Someone uses a nice IWB for every day carry, but uses a Fobus or whatever for range practice. What the hell sense does this make?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done it before. Usually during training when I'm practicing with the handgun, but not drawing from a holster. It's rare though, because I usually like to practice my draw atleast a few times while at the range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Range holsters

Well there are two kinds.
1 the competion holster
2 the what did I get this for? holster
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There are three different reasons to have a "range holster."

1.  You shoot IDPA or USPSA and want to be competitive.  You can shoot with IWB, but you're handicapping yourself.  This brings up another interesting issue... if you're handicapping yourself in a game, wouldn't you also be handicapping yourself in a defensive situation?  Hmmmm... another topic perhaps.

2.  You live in a state that doesn't allow legal CCW.  You can't carry IWB or OWB outside the range so you may as well use what's comfortable.

3.  You are taking your first defensive handgun class.  This is not an insignificant one.  If you have never taken one of these classes before, you're about to get a HUGE amount of information.  You'll be doing things that you didn't consider and doing it a lot.  Yes, you can use an IWB for this, but if you do, you're limiting yourself.  You're going to spend more time adjusting the gear or fighting your shirt.  You'll be concentrating more on the holster than you will your gunhandling skills.  Take a class with a good OWB to get the basic skills and then take those skills home and practice them with your carry gear.  The cadence is VERY similar but you'll learn more with an OWB and the more you learn, the more you can apply to your real life gear.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
kind of hard to conceal this

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.safariland.com/images/catalog/012_l.jpg

But wouldn't you love to see the bad guys eyes when you draw down with that?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are three different reasons to have a "range holster."

1.  You shoot IDPA or USPSA and want to be competitive.  You can shoot with IWB, but you're handicapping yourself.  This brings up another interesting issue... if you're handicapping yourself in a game, wouldn't you also be handicapping yourself in a defensive situation?  Hmmmm... another topic perhaps.

2.  You live in a state that doesn't allow legal CCW.  You can't carry IWB or OWB outside the range so you may as well use what's comfortable.

3.  You are taking your first defensive handgun class.  This is not an insignificant one.  If you have never taken one of these classes before, you're about to get a HUGE amount of information.  You'll be doing things that you didn't consider and doing it a lot.  Yes, you can use an IWB for this, but if you do, you're limiting yourself.  You're going to spend more time adjusting the gear or fighting your shirt.  You'll be concentrating more on the holster than you will your gunhandling skills.  Take a class with a good OWB to get the basic skills and then take those skills home and practice them with your carry gear.  The cadence is VERY similar but you'll learn more with an OWB and the more you learn, the more you can apply to your real life gear.

A couple of good points Cliffy, mainly the first defensive class probably shouldn't be taken with an IWB unless the individual has practised with it a lot.  However, you are bias against IWB holsters as they just aren't comfortable for you.

I can actually draw faster from my Kydex IWB than I can from a couple of the good belt holsters I've had.  I contribute this to the fact I know exactly where the gun is, because I can feel it at all times, plus Kydex is extremely fast.

As for range holsters, I've never understood it myself.  All of the ranges I've been to have had tables to set equipment on and all have been secure enough that I felt I could leave a pistol and walk 50 yards away if needed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

www.safariland.com/images/catalog/012_l.jpg

No, you just need a long trench coat but it might look a little stange on a sunny day in July?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why do some people find the need to use a different holster at the range than they do when carrying their pistol. I see this and read about it all the time. Someone uses a nice IWB for every day carry, but uses a Fobus or whatever for range practice. What the hell sense does this make?

I feel the same way about "range ammo" and "range mags" etc.  IMHO you should practice with what you carry/use.  Sure it can be uncomfortable and/or more expensive, but it is well worth it in the long run IMHO.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a Fobus for the range only.  Can't conceal it with the clothing I wear.  I will also use it for competition this summer.

I feel there is no reason to play uber-ninja all the time.  If I want to practice drawing from a concealed holster, I will.  When I want to plink or shoot at competition, I'll use the big plastic holster.

The one thing I can't stand is the completely impractical and lame race-gun bullshit.  Go bitch at them  

- BG
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I feel the same way about "range ammo" and "range mags" etc.  IMHO you should practice with what you carry/use.  Sure it can be uncomfortable and/or more expensive, but it is well worth it in the long run IMHO.  YMMV, of course.

Hmmm... let's see, 300 rounds per week at $27/box of 50 Winchester Rangers.  That comes to $8424 per year for practice ammo.  That would make shooting so expensive that I couldn't afford to practice.  

I agree that people should frequently function check with thier defensive loads, but using it to the exclusion of everything else is unrealistic unless you're the kind of person who only shoots 100 rounds a month.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm... let's see, 300 rounds per week at $27/box of 50 Winchester Rangers.  That comes to $8424 per year for practice ammo.  That would make shooting so expensive that I couldn't afford to practice.  

I agree that people should frequently function check with thier defensive loads, but using it to the exclusion of everything else is unrealistic unless you're the kind of person who only shoots 100 rounds a month.

I shoot 100-200 rounds of range ammo (WWB) a week, followed up with 20-30 rounds of my carry ammo(Speer GD 124 +p).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I shoot 100-200 rounds of range ammo (WWB) a week, followed up with 20-30 rounds of my carry ammo(Speer GD 124 +p).

That makes perfect sense to me.  I shoot 50-100 rounds of defensive ammo a month but I can't see doing more than that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That makes perfect sense to me.  I shoot 50-100 rounds of defensive ammo a month but I can't see doing more than that.

I don't really see anything wrong with a "range holster". I do agree that range magazines are gay (either a mag works 100% or it doesn't. If it doesn't, fix it or pitch it) but range (practice) ammo makes perfect sense. I have to think anybody who uses nothing but their main defensive ammo to practice with at the range is either A. Using crappy (cheap) defensive ammo. B. Doesn't practice much or C. Has more money then brains.

My routine is similar to Cliffy's (although I'm sad to admit I don't go every week )
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm... let's see,  300 rounds per week at $27/box of 50 Winchester Rangers.  That comes to $8424 per year for practice ammo.  That would make shooting so expensive that I couldn't afford to practice.  

You'll note that I said in the original post that it  would be more expensive.

I shoot more than 100 rounds/month but I rarely if ever shoot 300 rounds/week out of any single weapon unless I'm attending a training class.  

But your $27/box example is a tad unrealistic as well, if you'll be honest about it.  I don't buy my ammo by the individual box, nor do most of the people I know who shoot "a lot."  I buy my defensive ammo in bulk and shoot what I carry (primary CCW and BUG) and use (HD ARs).  For guns I don't carry or employ in SD/HD, of course I shoot cheaper stuff.  Sure, I could save a little money by compromising on what I practice with in my primaries... but it wouldn't be worth it IMHO and I get by okay.

And, as I said originally, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... I have to think anybody who uses nothing but their main defensive ammo to practice with at the range is either A. Using crappy (cheap) defensive ammo. B. Doesn't practice much or C. Has more money then brains...

Think what you will, but I can assure you that A. & B. don't apply, and I would like to think that C. doesn't either...

FWIW, I use Georgia Arms "Shear Power Plus" loads (they use GDHP bullets) in my defensive handguns and buy them by the thousands.  I have had good service out of these for years.  I happen to believe that any marginal gain another particular, more expensive load might have wouldn't outweigh my intimate knowledge of what it will and won't do in my handguns from 1000s of rounds of it, exclusively, downrange (versus "practicing" with something cheaper and carrying the "good stuff").  Just my opinion - if yours varies, I certainly respect that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just my opinion - if yours varies, I certainly respect that.

No, I don't agree but more power to ya!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
IMO it is a PC thing so you don't scare the wannabe PUSSIES when they see you draw from concealed!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I can use the use for one for when you are justy concentrating on your shooting technices and not with drawing but any other time you need to use what you carry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I usually cary IWB at about 5 o'clock.  Not allowed on the range.
I practice on provate property for drawing from IWB and use a plain holster for practice at the range.
My practice ammo (reloads) shoot to POI of my carry ammo, so why waste money?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top