Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 1:55:00 PM EDT
I'm a college student and would love one of these bags for going to class, carrying all my books etc... but if everyone who sees it is going to wonder if i have a gun in one of the pockets its not really worth it. What are your thoughts?

Obviously everyone that is heavily involved in guns is going to know what could be inside, im more concerned with non-gun or even worse anti-gun people that make up the majority of people on campus.

Thanks for the thoughts

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The first one looks just fine to me.  The second's a bit sketchier, but still probably safe.

Though... you could probably use just about any $10 backback you find at Walmart and be just as well off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were a thief I would zero in on that nice expensive looking bag before I did a plain old backpack.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHOP a backback is much better for books and suck.  Shoulder bags dont really distubite the weight well.

Just dont get a 10 dollar backback from Wallmart they can't handle the load look at hiking daybacks at a outdoor store such as Campmor etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you plan on carrying a gun in the bag?  If not, don't worry about what anybody thinks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think I would be more likely to see some wannabe cool guy carrying his books in a gun case than see anyone on a campus carrying a gun in a bookbag/backpack/whatever now days. Seriously, how many tree huggers on campus wear and use mil-surp or mil-surp look-alike crap on campus? Does anyone ever give them a second glance or suspect them of packing some sort of weapon?
If you like the bag them go for it, if not get something else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the low profile black or khaki rather than the OD
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
To me, it screams
I CAN'T GET LAID SO I COMPENSATE FOR IT BY WEARING COOL GUY TACTICAL STUFF!

But that is just me.
YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I would skip the tactical ninja look.  Put your books in an LL Bean backpack and clip a Nalgene bottle to it like everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've thought about getting some of the Max. stuff, it's great, quality stuff and frankly no one around here would probably know it from any other pack.

Just my .02 though
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To me, it screams

But that is just me.
YMMV

I need to pick one up then.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I use my Eagle backpack to carry my books around when its not being used to cart around my firearm supplies at home.  Nobody gives a shit, but my rationale was simply that I figured I might as well get some good use out of the 140 dollar backpack I bought :-), since I'm not really using it to do range work when I'm on campus.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from a black one.  It seems to scream gun to me.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
You can carry a gun on campus?

Wow.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can carry a gun on campus?

Wow.

+1

If you're really going to carry on campus, look at the Camelbak Demon...... Nice pack.... with a specific concealed weapons pocket.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I dont think he's planning on carrying anything but books.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
To me, it screams

But that is just me.
YMMV

Don't you have one?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To me, it screams

But that is just me.
YMMV

Don't you have one?

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Except for the pouches ... it looks just like a laptop bag to me. IMO, it's looks ok.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont know that it screams anything.  More like it mumbles to itself in the corner.

Either way, it doesnt look like a gun-indicator to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IMHOP a backback is much better for books and suck.  Shoulder bags dont really distubite the weight well.

Just dont get a 10 dollar backback from Wallmart they can't handle the load look at hiking daybacks at a outdoor store such as Campmor etc.

nah rei is better.  i have an rei hiking daypack that i have been using for school and everything else for 13 years.  

i have never heard of maxpedition so i would guess most people haven't either.  therefore they won't think you have a gun any more than any other person might.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
To gun friendly guys and gals like us, yeah you might have a gun. But then again we don't care because we have a gun.

To the sheeple, it's a nice book bag. I doubt most of them would even give a fanny pack a second look.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
i cannot carry on campus, but the second i leave campus the gun goes from my lock box to my hip, or in some cases my bag.

The reason i want to know if it screams gun is because during the day when im not on campus it will have a gun in it, or close by on my hip.

i have an old backpack, had it since 4th grade, gotta love jansport. There just really isnt any room for a gun, atelast no room where i could get to it quick. and there isnt really any way to secure that i know of.

I have a laptop case for my computer that just looks like a nicer version of this, so i think itll be ok.

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I carried an OD canvas "map case" (for lack of a better term for it) that looked similar when I was in college and nobody said anything to me about it.

Maxpedition's good stuff, I like it.

PS do you wear a vest ever? Or wear a fannypack turned around to the front? If so, you automatically look like you're carrying a gun anyway. IMHO just this bag will not really trigger anyone looking at you funny unless it's a gun nut like one of us.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Maxpedition makes good products that will last through hard use.  Also, most of their models (including the one you posted) have a concealed carry section with a velcro patch to attach a holster.  They have a hook & loop holster, but I prefer the 5.11 holster.  I have a Jumbo Versipack with a 5.11 holster and my SIG P220 fits in it just great.  I'm actually considering getting the operator version of the bag that you posted also.  It's not like college age people are going to be looking at your bag to check if there's a gun in there.  I'm a big fan of Maxpedition products, so I say go for it.

Anti-gunners are not going to be looking at your bag and thinking there's a gun inside.  And if they do, screw them.  How are they gonna prove it?  Unless they carry a metal detecting wand around with them, they have no proof.  And if for some strange reason they do carry one, well, it's just your iPod or your Surefire setting off the wand.

ETA: I'm a college student also, and the few times I've taken my Versipack on campus (yeah, I had to use my manbag a couple times), I never got a second look from anybody.  Carry yourself with polite confidence and nobody's gonna question you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#25]
In Florida students and faculty can ccw on campus.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

DUDE! You truly are the Gunshine state!

/can't do that in MI
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#27]
wheres the gun at?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/can't do that in MI

Hell yeah I am soo glad that Florida lawmaker's don't fuck with our gun rights.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#29]
No, it screams Jack Bauer!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#30]
you can ccw on campus you just cannot enter "any structure" which translates to leaving the gun in your car - unless they have changed the law since i read it last. but last time i read it, you could carry in the buildings... which im sure is a rule we ALLL follow!

im sold on the bag, now i just have to wait until they sell the damn things
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No, it screams Jack Bauer!

LOL.  Tactical knap sack.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/can't do that in MI

You can do it in PA also.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Pretty cool, think I will have to get one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Max makes great gear but I wouldn't be caught carrying that.  Any wannabe cop, armchair commando, recruiter, former soldier, National Guard, Police, etc., etc. is gonna zero on that in a heart beat.

I'd get one of those cute Teddy Bear backpacks that the crazy girls carry.  You might be mistaken for a poof but no one will think yer carrying...that's for sure!!!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#35]
If you like it and it is functional I would use it even if you did have a handgun. If you go to the malls a lot of the new stuff looks like that. It looks like it would work well for a lap top and who ever said not to use the $10 Walmart back packs is correct. My two boys were going through them like crazy so I am going to be getting them better packs. Personaly I would rather have a nice pack with shoulder straps than a shoulder case but to each his own.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Nobody will think you have a gun.  Its a bag.  Big deal.

Our state names ONE school as a no gun school.  VCU.  But my school has its own rule saying no guns.  We have to check them in at the campus PD weapons locker and get them back out when we go off campus.  They are really nice about it and the locker is available 24/7 to us, still blows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top