Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 12:51:24 PM EDT
I run a lot and I am getting tired of carrying a 20+ oz. pistol in my fanny pack.I am preparing for a marathon and even that little weight has an afect. I have been looking at these tiny ultralites and wanted to know if anyone has had one and if so how well do they work.
I know it is very small and low powered (.22 mag is the one I am considering) not to mention difficult to aim etc. But I don't like the idea of running unarmed (almost empty city park trail through the woods) and the PA 63 is getting heavy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll still be unarmed if all you have is a mini-revolver.  You'd be ahead with a carbon fiber Knife, At least then, you wouldn't be kidding yourself about your defensive "capability".  1 shot per second, 100 lousy ft lbs per shot, pathetic likelihood of thumb slipping off of the tiny hammer as you try to cock it, pathetic small butt and lack of trigger guard mean likely to drop the thing as you try to cock it, etc. Forget it.  There's the 11 oz Beretta M21 .22lr, but I dislike the lack of an extractor, and fitting is at least $100 worth of gunsmithing and Tig welding.  As slow as a fanny pack draw is, best get running shorts with pockets, a front pants pocket holster, and go with a 9 oz Keltec 380 P3AT, I guess. It's not much, but it's 10x better than a mini revolver in a fannypack.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a bad little weapon, but should not be your primary carry weapon.

They are only like $170, I'd get one to just have fun with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You'll still be unarmed if all you have is a mini-revolver.  You'd be ahead with a carbon fiber Knife, At least then, you wouldn't be kidding yourself about your defensive "capability".  1 shot per second, 100 lousy ft lbs per shot, pathetic likelihood of thumb slipping off of the tiny hammer as you try to cock it, pathetic small butt and lack of trigger guard mean likely to drop the thing as you try to cock it, etc. Forget it.  There's the 11 oz Beretta M21 .22lr, but I dislike the lack of an extractor, and fitting is at least $100 worth of gunsmithing and Tig welding.  As slow as a fanny pack draw is, best get running shorts with pockets, a front pants pocket holster, and go with a 9 oz Keltec 380 P3AT, I guess. It's not much, but it's 10x better than a mini revolver in a fannypack.

There is someone here that has done some testing on the mini with several different loads and it contradicts your opinion.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
'so they lied about it, that's all. With that short barrel and cylinder gap, 100 ft lbs (or so close it doens't matter any) is all you get.  There's no contradicting what I said about the slowness of repeat shots, or likelihood of fumbling while trying to cock the mini revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with an alloy framed hammerless J-frame S&W in .38.  They're small enough and light enough to jog with without sacrificing too much in terms of firepower.

I wouldn't have enough confidence in the NAA minis to actually use one in a SD situation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd go with an alloy framed hammerless J-frame S&W in .38.  They're small enough and light enough to jog with without sacrificing too much in terms of firepower.

I wouldn't have enough confidence in the NAA minis to actually use one in a SD situation.

+1
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The lack of power is something you won't be able to change with this little gun, but with practice you CAN learn to aim it and shoot it relatively quickly.  I've done 3" 5 shot groups at 10 yards...after a bunch of trial and error with grips and aiming.  I have one as my "always gun."  If I'm clothed I'm armed (when legal, of course).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/scrcteach/Shooting/100_1696.jpg
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the little NAA .22mag version with the folding handle that doubles as a carry clip. Nice little shooter up to about 7 yards or so.

No doubt the airweight .38s would be a better choice, sometimes just having a gun makes all the difference versus just having a knife. As for the .22mag's power, I ask you: would you want to be shot by one?????    
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As for the .22mag's power, I ask you: would you want to be shot by one?????    hr

AMEN, brother!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It wouldn't be in a fanny pack, that is what I am trying to get rid of. 6 ounces is light enough to be carried in a pocket. I know the power level isn't great but I am of the school that believes simply presenting a weapon will stop over 90% of any altercations. I just want to know are they reliable and are they shootable. I have small hands so a small gun is not a problem, weight is. I though about the Keltec but it does weigh 50% more and I have heard they do have problems jamming but I digress, thanks for the help so far guys, anyone else have anything they could tell me?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If the Keltec jammed on the second shot, every time, it'd still be a better choice than the mini-revolver, because at least you dont have to fumble with cocking a hammer.  Look, I've been attacked or near-attacked about a dozen times. Whatever you can't do in about 1 second flat, you'll never get done (in time for it to change anything). You can empty the mag of the keltec before you can fire 2 shots out of the  minirevolver. If your attacker KNOWS that you haven't yet cocked the mini revolver, he's likely to make you eat it.

If you can't carry 10 ozs in your pocket, you've got something seriously wrong with you, dude.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If the Keltec jammed on the second shot, every time, it'd still be a better choice than the mini-revolver..  
(Edit)
You can empty the mag of the keltec before you can fire 2 shots out of the  minirevolver....

Not if the Keltec jams every second shot.......

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
[sarcasm]Nevermind, GaryM...forget everything that I or any other NAA owner has told you.  They are worthless, unaimable, unshootable, slow, and not worth the stainless steel from which they are made.  They'll explode in your pocket, and they actually have been known to SHOOT BACKWARDS!  That's how horrible they are.  Just ask unusual.[/sarcasm]

Anyway, you can't depend on any gun that you're not willing or able to carry.  And you can't depend on any gun that you don't practice with.  The NAA is capable, but, like any firearm, is worthless if you wait until you have to shoot it to shoot it for the first time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I would only carry it as a third gun. The Kel-Tec P-32 is so light and so small that it is hard to justify a single action 5 shot .22.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#15]
My back up gun.  It is reliable and light.  I would say it is very high quality, especially for the $140.00 new price.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
How about the 22mag black widow? It has a slightly longer barrel, decent sights & a better grip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one that I carry with when I can't carry anything else.  I have used it in IDPA bug matches and my scores aren't that far off from the DA revolver shooters.

I would opt for the Keltec 32 if you can make it work, but I really like my NAA for what it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The 22mag has a little bigger grip than the 22lr and is very useable.  From 5 yards on in I don't see any one volenteering to pursue you.  In the "kind word" vs the "kind word and a gun" scenario you would be on top.   It will light your way in the dark to boot!  I love mine.  Maney will tell you that if you can't have an M4 you better have a 1911 but they are saying it from the couch not wearing their
Asix Gells.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one in .22LR, and I would rather carry pepper spray than rely on the mini revolver. Just my 2 cents worth. The world is awash with lighweight pistols that pack much more stopping power... your life has to be worth a bit more research and experimentation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have one in .22LR, and I would rather carry pepper spray than rely on the mini revolver. Just my 2 cents worth. The world is awash with lighweight pistols that pack much more stopping power... your life has to be worth a bit more research and experimentation.

You are being sarcastic aren't you?

Yes............  Ok good joke.

No.............   Ok, you are a moron.

I have a .22 mag in the NAA it is the 1 5/8 inch.  I filed my front sight down to 1/16 of an inch and painted it orange.  It shoots consistant 3" groups at 10 yards.  With the full front sight you'll shoot about 2' low at 7-10 yards.  It still shoots about 3 inches low.  I use the federal 50 grain HPs, I know they don't expand (tested them with this pistol), but they get more penetration.

I carry mine as my secondary CCW and I carry it as my backup when I am on duty.

Blagga..... I have shot several dogs with this thing, they all died.  I have also pepper sprayed several dogs, they all lived.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think it was a joke.  I shot an armadillo with it when I was home and it died before it got back to its hole.  I would use my pocket knife before I spraysomeone with something.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I found a neat parlor trick for my NAA Mini mag (and don't get me wrong, it's a capable gun for someone that's practiced with it).  I was out splitting wood with a couple of guys and we kept getting bothered by large slow flying bumble bees.  I pulled out the mini mag (that's always in my pocket no matter what as long as it's legal).  I said, "Watch this!"  I took aim (safely) at a bee while it was hovering and blew it out of the sky.  I failed to tell them that I keep one CCI shotshell in the first hole (the rest are winchester hollow points).  They were impressed, and not really gun people, so they didn't ever figure out my trick.

ETA: thankfully they didn't ask me to do it again, as I only had one shotshell with me at the time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I found a neat parlor trick for my NAA Mini mag (and don't get me wrong, it's a capable gun for someone that's practiced with it).  I was out splitting wood with a couple of guys and we kept getting bothered by large slow flying bumble bees.  I pulled out the mini mag (that's always in my pocket no matter what as long as it's legal).  I said, "Watch this!"  I took aim (safely) at a bee while it was hovering and blew it out of the sky.  I failed to tell them that I keep one CCI shotshell in the first hole (the rest are winchester hollow points).  They were impressed, and not really gun people, so they didn't ever figure out my trick.

ETA: thankfully they didn't ask me to do it again, as I only had one shotshell with me at the time.

Thats a good story.  We have a lot of land in Florida that we have put fences up on.  We Always kept a .22 in our pocket with some shotshells for snakes.  The shotshells were great snake killers.  I wish I had my NAA .22 back then.  My Ruger would look a lot better with out all those hours of hard work carry.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one of the 22 mags.  Shoots well, built well, and is easy to carry ALL THE TIME.  The NAA website has different grips, and holsters, including a shoulder rig that might suit your purpose well.  I put on a set of their rubber grips, not the Hogue slip on they have, but the set that has the same profile as the regular rosewood it comes with.  This makes it much easier to hang on to and is also more durable.  They are not as pretty, but for pocket carry or any other deep concealment they handle sweat better.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It wouldn't be in a fanny pack, that is what I am trying to get rid of. 6 ounces is light enough to be carried in a pocket.

What you need is a belly band
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't like belly bands...they always end up near my chest at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#27]
They go bang every time,but I would think High standard derringer in 22 mag!

3 less shells,but a little(not much)bigger but easier to hold and fire!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I run a lot and I am getting tired of carrying a 20+ oz. pistol in my fanny pack.I am preparing for a marathon and even that little weight has an afect. I have been looking at these tiny ultralites and wanted to know if anyone has had one and if so how well do they work.
I know it is very small and low powered (.22 mag is the one I am considering) not to mention difficult to aim etc. But I don't like the idea of running unarmed (almost empty city park trail through the woods) and the PA 63 is getting heavy.

I used to have one of those, but I sold it after almost shooting my balls off one day.
The revolver in question has a 5 shot cylinder and is single action. It has notches in the cylinder between each chamber that the hammer is supposed to rest in for safety when the gun is carried. I put the loaded gun in a pocket holster made for it with the hammer down and resting in the safety notch. I carried the holster in my pocket and when I took it out later that day it was fully cocked and ready to fire. All it would have taken was a little pressure on the trigger and I would have punctured my sack. I can only guess that either it snagged when i was taking it out of my pocket or the motion of walking caused it to cock but either way I wanted no part of it anymore.

Not to mention in my limited testing the thing was really no more powerful than a pellet gun. You would have a good chance of just making any attacker more angry and willing to do you harm.

Get a aluminum alloy framed snub nosed revolver.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]
For what its worth I have the 22LR sized mini revolver as a cap and ball mini.  I bought it because I always wanted one of these mini revolvers and second I wanted to learn about black powder.  My opinion from the cap and ball version is that it is not a good self defense weapon.  I too have been in bad situations and I believe a good lock back knife is going to be more usefull a deterent and most likely will cause more damage.  A 22 will kill, but with adrenaline pumping your just not going to have the muscle memory to efficently use a naa mini, especially to recock it for a second shot.  If I was alowed CC I would research the kel-tec p32 or p3at.  If only glock had a smaller 26, now that is my ideal.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The .22 mag. has stopped more than a few fights. Telling someone they are unarmed when carrying one of these would sound to foolish to the wife of the cop that was killed with one, or the mom of the thug that was killed mid-mugging with one.

I did what another poster suggested, and replaced the grips on my .22 mag. with the rubber grip panels.
Mine is with me when I can't carry anything larger.
(I have the one with the shorter barrel than the one shown.)
I've owned the .22 version before, and the smaller grip left it standing straight up after each shot.
The larger grip on the magnum makes it much easier to shoot.

But, even this little chunk of steel may get irritating thumping against your leg in your pocket.
I'd add a little nylon pocket holster from Uncle Mike's.

To answer your question, they are reliable and well made, and the company has excellent customer service.

The KelTec .32 or .380 are going to be close in the weight department.
Not much superior ballistically in my opinion, but you could argue that.
For a buy-it-and-shoot-it gun, I'd go with the NAA.
A KelTec has a higher likelyhood of needing some work before it could be carried.
But, they can be made into reliable guns.
(I've owned 5, so I know what I'm talking about.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top