Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 3:35:28 AM EDT
I did so because I'd never carry such a large, heavy gun for defense, anyway.   I now practice with an Officer's ACP size, alloy-framed 9mm.  It's every bit as  hard to control as the full size and weight .45, and the ammo costs about half as much.  I don't have to bother retreiving brass, casting bullets or reloading for the 9mm.  This lets me practice twice as much with the 9mm, giving me both greater ability with my pistol, and more fun-time, as vs work-time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever works for yah.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
It's every bit as hard to control as the full size and weight .45

Uhhh, ever shoot a govt model .45??  

Neither myself, my wife, nor my children ever found it hard to control.    
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
  WUSS    
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Same here, including my wife as well. I don't pick up and keep my brass or reload either. .45 acp FMJ isn't THAT expensive.

Whatever floats your boat. However, I think your reasons for rejecting the Govt/.45 acp model are a little invalid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, including my wife as well. I don't pick up and keep my brass or reload either. .45 acp FMJ isn't THAT expensive.

Whatever floats your boat. However, I think your reasons for rejecting the Govt/.45 acp model are a little invalid.

x2.

I've never shot any 1911 besides a fullsize, .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
9mm?  Get a 226 or a G19.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

A G19 is smaller, lighter, and easier to shoot than an officers model and holds twice as many rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

A G19 is smaller, lighter, and easier to shoot than an officers model and holds twice as many rounds.

I doubt that.  I have a G19, and I don't find it easier to shoot than any other handgun, in fact, its the hardest to shoot handgun that I own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm...unusual post
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Knew that name was familiar. "unusual" is a troll account that was busted by site staff in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#12]
of all my pistols, my Kimber TLE is the best, smoothest shooting gun i have seen--just point and shoot and follow up, easy

my glocks require a little more grip and concentration for me, but i love em too
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  WUSS    

lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Try a CZ 2075 in 40 SW they are sweet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I just sold my last ( FOR NOW) 5" 1911 to help fund some other things one of which is a Wilson Compact CQB.

I have owned and or  shot O'ACPs since they first came out.

They are great guns IMO!  I am still kicking myself for selling my last and favorite lightly customized O'ACP.  

I  have my eye on a nearly-virgin light weight O'ACP that a freind just can't handle.
I have shot it more than he has..... and I like it!  He keeps saying, maybe someday !

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just sold my last ( FOR NOW) 5" 1911 to help fund some other things one of which is a Wilson Compact CQB.

Good idea.  No wait, scratch that -- FANTASTIC idea.  My CQB has been my most reliable, easiest to shoot, and by far most accurate firearm.  I very very highly recommend them.

The only problem I have with mine is that I love it soooo much that I don't want to carry it -- I don't want to have it taken from me if I end up having to use it.  That's what the Glock is for .
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh, and so as not to be too far off topc.  To the original poster -- WTF ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]

The only problem I have with mine is that I love it soooo much that I don't want to carry it -- I don't want to have it taken from me if I end up having to use it.  That's what the Glock is for.

I used to look at it like that. Now I am more of a mind that if I do need it, I want the best in my hands at that time.  I tried a glock  for your very reason and sold it. It simply did not trip my trigger, so to speak.

Besides I still have my current favorite 4" Kimber compact as a backup to my CCQB went I do finally get it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I did so because I'd never carry such a large, heavy gun for defense, anyway.

If the full-size 1911 is a "large, heavy gun" you need to see the inside of a gym.

I now practice with an Officer's ACP size, alloy-framed 9mm.  It's every bit as  hard to control as the full size and weight .45,

"hard to control"?? see my response above.

and the ammo costs about half as much.

No argument there.

I don't have to bother retreiving brass, casting bullets or reloading for the 9mm.  This lets me practice twice as much with the 9mm, giving me both greater ability with my pistol, and more fun-time, as vs work-time.

If it's work-time to you, then keep spending your money. I enjoy reloading, and still get away cheaper than you do to boot. But, to each their own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like the worst of both worlds to me.

I have no exp with 9mm 1911s, but I hear enough owners complaining that they don't cycle reliably.

I have a shitload of exp with .45 1911s in officer config and I KNOW the design is unreliable. I moved up to a 4" barrel compact and yes, that .5" is a night and day difference.

Maybe 2 wrongs make a right in the gun world, but I would agree with the others to pick something else if you are going to carry a 9mm.

BTW, I understand your desire to carry something smaller, but why in the world would you downgrade from a .45 to a 9mm? That's a hell of a drop. I mean there's .40 in between.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Hard to control a 9mm? lift some weights Nancy Boy
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Unusual? Why yes, yes you are.

BTW, a 9mm 1911 is called a 1935
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top