Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 7:43:35 AM EDT
My mom has expressed interest in getting a pistol and CHL license.  We have a family farm that we go to and do work on quite a bit, and we stay in there house there overnight quite often.  Lots of meth crap going down out in the countryside now and I think it would be good for her to have something for when I am not there as well.  She’s in her late 50’s, is 6’0”, and has fairly large hands.  Anyway, she doesn’t know much about guns, and I’m thinking I might pick something up at the gunshow this weekend for her, especially since her birthday is on Saturday as well.  I’m leaning towards a revolver, probably a .38, but maybe a .357 for more versatility, since she is a gun novice and revolver = simple.  I would like recommendations on what a good model would be.  Or if there is a reliable, simple semiauto, I’ll consider that.  Preferably in 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19-reliable, simple 9mm.  That would be my first choice.

I would also agree that a .357 revolver is a good choice since you can run .38 SPL through it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Sig P239
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Take her to the gun store and see how she likes "racking" slides.  Make sure she trys it with the hammer down, since that adds additional resistance.

I don't like autos for new shooters, as they introduce a lot of "safety" issues.

A revolver is great for a woman.   Pull the trigger and it goes bang.   If she's going to carry in her purse, go for a hammer-less S&W.  I'm talking about the one with the completely concealed hammer:  it keeps lint and shit out of the mechanism.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife carries a Sig 239 in 9mm. She likes and is able to handle the "slide racking" with out a problem.
If your lady seems to like an auto but has a problem with the slide have her PUSH the grip, instead of PULLING the slide. It helped my wife when she started shooting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I love my 19, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new woman shooter.  They're not too hard to limp-wrist.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
SGB is right, there is always somewhere locally that teaches a Women's Defensive Firearm Course.  That would be a great place to start.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Every one in my family can shoot the Glock 19 and operate in no problem. I would recomend a G19 or a CZP01. In my opinion if the pistol is not good for a guy it is not good for a woman either. If a .38 {I am not saying it will not} will not stop a criminal for a man it will not stop one for a woman either. I would get the pistol for her and take her to the range and them scedule her for the class if she will go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Like you said, women tend to do well with the simplicity of revolvers. Do yourself a favor, though, and also check out the Kahr P9.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking .50 AE Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.357 for more versatility, since she is a gun novice and revolver = simple.

SW .357 or above with at least 4 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I like teaching the revolver first to starting shooters. Loading/unloadind and safely handeling is simple and intuitive. If the person has medium and on up size hands a full sized revolver with a bit of heft will have much less recoil . I have been in love with the S&W 685 6". Doesn't carry well but is really very shootable. Start with 38 target loads along with good earmufs and glasses and work up to full loads as the comfort /confidence level goes up with shooting. Even a 38+p out of a 6" barrel packs a punch and the .357 is a fearsome power level that isn't to bad to handle out of this medium sized gun. Same loads in a snubby  or exotic metal gun are downright brutal-to be avoided unless carry is necessary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
GLOCK 19 -reliable, simple 9mm.  That would be my first choice.
I would also agree that a .357 revolver is a good choice since you can run .38 SPL through it.

Good advice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Asking what pistol a woman should get is like asking what type of bra she should get.  It is a personal decision that has to do with several factors.

-hand size
-wrist strength
-concealablility on her body/purse
-willingness to try larger calibres
- will she use a tactical light?

Most women I know who shoot prefer a 9mm or 45 ACP Glock.  Some of my girlfriends preferred my 1911.  Like I said, personal choice.  

WHY DON"T YOU have her TRY TO GO AND SHOOT SEVERAL TO DECIDE.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Take her to the gun store and see how she likes "racking" slides.  Make sure she trys it with the hammer down, since that adds additional resistance.

I don't like autos for new shooters, as they introduce a lot of "safety" issues.

A revolver is great for a woman.   Pull the trigger and it goes bang.   If she's going to carry in her purse, go for a hammer-less S&W.  I'm talking about the one with the completely concealed hammer:  it keeps lint and shit out of the mechanism.  

I hear this bullshit all the time.  My ex-girlfirend learned to shoot a glock 23.  It was her first gun she owned.  The only real safety on a gun in not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.  All other safeties are just knobs and whistles to get in the way and slow you down.  6/10 women I have went shooting with said that revolvers suck compared to autos.    Again, this is a personal choice.  Revolvers and harder trigger pulls are just archaic and decrease the likelihood of hitting the target.  So there is my anti-revolver comment of the day.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife used to love shooting my S&W 686 6" with .38 sp

She could hit a tennis ball at 25m almost every time.

I loved/hated taking her to the range..../

Sucks when the wife is a better shot. (only with pistol....I rule the rifle roost)

Taffy

home protection.... .45
even if the kick sticks her on her ass....one well placed  .45 will put most perps off their game.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife started out with a S&W Mod. 649 .357 Mag but always shot .38 Specials through it.  ( Once in awhile she asked to shoot .357s )

She just got her carry permit and she loves her new Glock 26 9mm.

She said she would recommend either.

LB
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He is correct, autos are not good for new shooters.  My dad is not really into shooting, but he wants to carry when he hikes in the mountains.  Since he doesn’t always clean his guns or shoot them regularly, I recommended he get a revolver.  It is simple enough that a newbie can easily shoot and maintain it.  He got a .44 S&W which should be good for protection against two and four legged targets. I would recommend a S&W J frame or something similar for your mother.  If your mom does get an auto, please tell her to shoot and clean it regularly (at least once a month IMO).  I would even go with her to make sure she is shooting it correctly/safely.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]
1911 in 9mm. She has small hands, I was able to adjust the 1911 so it would fit her hand size.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Take this for what it's worth, my dad goes shooting with me every other weekend.  For pistols he has a Hipower and an M9.  He still asks questions about the function of the weapon and doesn't fully grasp how it works.  He's not stupid either but he doesn't fondle them while not shooting or study them. Plus we don't always shoot the pistols, sometimes rifle.  So  he just puts them away and doesn't think twice about them and therefore sometimes gets confused.  I tell him to keep his .357 revolver for home defense because if he's confused about his autos not under pressure, he'll be lost under pressure.  

Having said that, I think the auto issue depends on  the person.  Girls are like guys, some are very smart and some are dumb.  Some are strong and some are weak.  I think I have to agree with the "see what your mom likes" crowd.  

I personally started with a Ruger Mk1 .22, then went to a .38 detective special, then went to a taurus 9.  Now I shoot a M9 and a 1911.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]

.357 revolver ~
(You mentioned she has no experience with weapons)

Revolvers for non-shooters

Affordable
Easy to use
Effective
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Sig P239. 9mm or 40 depending on her shooting experience.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear this bullshit all the time.  My ex-girlfirend learned to shoot a glock 23.  It was her first gun she owned.  The only real safety on a gun in not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.  All other safeties are just knobs and whistles to get in the way and slow you down.  6/10 women I have went shooting with said that revolvers suck compared to autos.    Again, this is a personal choice.  Revolvers and harder trigger pulls are just archaic and decrease the likelihood of hitting the target.  So there is my anti-revolver comment of the day.

Oh, get off of it and don't run the bullshit flag on what I've posted.   The fact that you have a g/f who can rack the slide of an auto without difficulty does not disprove my point.  The plural of anecdote is NOT "data."

I've taught about 10 women to shoot handguns as "new" shooters.   Only two or three were fully comfortable racking the slide.    Less than that were able to reliably clear a jam during practice sessions with dummy rounds intersperced in the magazine and after being instructed on tap-rack-bang.   Almost all of the really "new" shooters had trouble with the concept that removing the magazine does not necessarily unload the weapon, even with repeated instruction.  

I am sure that there are plenty of experienced, sophisticated shooters (male and female) for whom an auto would be no problem.   But this poster asked about his mother who does not have experience.   I revolver is a good bet for her.  Obviously, she should go to a range with rentals and see what else she likes, but I don't think you can go wrong with a good 38/357

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#24]
GLOCK 19 or SIG makes a real nice set-up to, wouldnt go above a 9mm

good look
THE GLOCK is reliable and light just a few plus marks for that
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]

He is correct, autos are not good for new shooters

Don't know about that... first few guns I dealt with or owned were semi-autos, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Get her a Springfield XD9!!!  

OH yeah get her a semi-automatic.  You don't want her to have ony 6 bullets.  The more the better.

Semi-Auto's are fine for beginners; they just have to be trained.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Take her to a store and let her handle several different choices. See what she is comfortable handling. After she gets something take her to shoot it enough that she can operate it comfortablely, safely and effectively. Something like a Glock or revolver are usually good but anything quality that she is comfortable with should work.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
My wifes favorite is the USPf .45 but she has shot alot of pistols and has many hours of training.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, get off of it and don't run the bullshit flag on what I've posted.   The fact that you have a g/f who can rack the slide of an auto without difficulty does not disprove my point.  The plural of anecdote is NOT "data."

I've taught about 10 women to shoot handguns as "new" shooters.   Only two or three were fully comfortable racking the slide.    Less than that were able to reliably clear a jam during practice sessions with dummy rounds intersperced in the magazine and after being instructed on tap-rack-bang.   Almost all of the really "new" shooters had trouble with the concept that removing the magazine does not necessarily unload the weapon, even with repeated instruction.  

I am sure that there are plenty of experienced, sophisticated shooters (male and female) for whom an auto would be no problem.   But this poster asked about his mother who does not have experience.   I revolver is a good bet for her.  Obviously, she should go to a range with rentals and see what else she likes, but I don't think you can go wrong with a good 38/357

Are you assuming that this person will just give her the gun and say "well, that's it.  Your all set"?  That would be stupid on the author's part.  The point is that any new shooter can learn quickly to use a semi-auto with proficiency and safety.  Failure to properly train a new shooter is an accident waiting to happen anyway.  To think that she would be too stupid to learn how to shoot a semi is arrogant also.  I am not saying that a 38/357 is the wrong answer.  I am saying that it is illogical to assume that a revolver is the only answer or the best answer or the safest answer.  I also think it is a bad stereotype to assume that  new women shooters will have difficulty with semi-autos.   Maybe I am putting words in your mouth.  It's just that I have heard this old rant from too many on the revolver vs semi as if it is pure fact.  If a revolver is great for a woman, so it a semi-auto.  That is my point.  And yes, maybe the BS flag was a bit over the top.

And for what it is worth, if they are not going to spend a few weeks practicing up front, a revolver would be the way to go for the short term.  But if it was the best defense (which is sometimes a good offense) the military and most police would still be using revolvers.   If I can train a woman to operate heavy machinery, I am sure I can teach them to be proficient at shooting a semi.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#30]
IMHO:  New shooters have a lot of information comming at them.  There is simply less to learn on a revolver than an auto.   Most absolutely new shooters can very quickly grasp the operating principles behind a revolver and how to safely handle them.

Autos are another story.   There are multiple controls and multiple steps to clear the weapon.

If someone is going to be seriously studying shooting and self defence then by all means go with an auto.

If their attitude is "Teach me to shoot so I can defend myself" and have no real interest in shooting beyond that, go with the revolver.   You can spend less time teaching how to manipulate the weapon, and more time on safety, gun handling, and shooting.

I don't think this point can be stressed enough.  Level of interest is critical.     The amount/quality of the initial training doesn't mean squat if 5 years from now the student picks up the weapon and can't remember all the operating details.   Without time spent maintaining skills, its easy for people to forget the details of manipulating an Auto.   Its easier to drill into the new students head " keep finger out of trigger guard, open cylinder" than "keep finger out of trigger guard, press magazine release, remove mag, pull slide to rear, check chamber"

I would recomend the Ruger SP101 in .357 mag. preferably with the 3" barrel.   Its a heavy, reliable, stainless steel,  small frame revolver.    They have been on the market for a long time and you can find them used for very reasonable prices.    Start with .38 special, and as skills improve more powerfull ammunition can be used.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Glock Model 29
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#32]
+1 for a springfield XD or G19
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the replies.  I picked up a cheap (in price) Star BM at the funshow Saturday.  Got her to shoot it that afternoon, and while kind of hesitant at first, she seemed to enjoy it.  It seems like an easy to use, no frills starter.  So we'll work on things with it and go from there.  Maybe upgrade to something nicer/newer/better in the future.

BTW, it's a neat little gun.  Forged frame and slide, reminiscent of a compact 1911, sans the removable mainspring housing and grip safety.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife has tiny hands, and trigger reach is the number one limiting factor for her.   Most DA autos just don't work for her; she has to shift the backstrap out of the correct position to get enough finger on the trigger.  

We found that the Kahr models fit her quite well, and also 1911s with a flat MSH and short trigger.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My sister shoots a Glock 19.
My wife shoots a 6" S&W 686 loaded with 38s.
I think my wife would prefer a S&W 22 mag. because it would be even more fun to shoot and make just as much noise.  The fabulus new FN 5.7 super killing machine isn't much more than a 22 mag so I think it would be adequite.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love my 19, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new woman shooter.  They're not too hard to limp-wrist.

Wow... Good comment there....Ive got a really good friend.. Who just happens to be a woman.. Who shoots an Kimber Eclipse... Im not seein any limp wristin from her....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top