Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 7:23:10 AM EDT
For years I've been putting off the idea of replacing the sights on several of my pistols because I can't stand the idea of paying someone to do it.

Now that I own a few that I may change sights on, the sight pusher idea doesn't seem so bad.  Who makes a reasonable sight pusher under $100 that would work for several different types of pistols?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody that I'm aware of. Every one that I've seen has been over $100 and is model specific.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
In the past I've used a hammer, punch, vise,  and a lot of caution.  I've had good results.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no such device for $100 or less. Most are specific to a particular model and most are very expensive. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
P500 Universal Pusher

I've been eyeballing this one for a few weeks now and is a "little" over $100. It appears to be infinitely adjustable.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it would work on a lot of slides i can think of.  I used a vice, a hammer, and a drift.  It works, but its not the best at all.  I wound up with more slop than I wanted but it didnt matter cause its pinned.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
P500 Universal Pusher

I've been eyeballing this one for a few weeks now and is a "little" over $100. It appears to be infinitely adjustable.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I saw that one.  No way I'm paying that.  The only problem with paying someone to do it is that if it's not perfect in its position, you'll have to move it again.

I know that it can be done with a vice, drift, and hammer, but I'm really hoping to have something a little more professional than that.

It just doesn't seem like this would be a hard item to make at a reasonable cost...it's not like you need serious force to push a set of sights in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is no such device for $100 or less. Most are specific to a particular model and most are very expensive. Charles.  

MGW makes several sight pushers available for under $100.

The MGW Sig sight pusher will work on most Sig's (229, 226, 220, 239, etc.) so it's most definitely worth the $85 especially if you're a Sig fan like me who has more than just one Sig.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
the sights on the XD are a total bitch to remove and install. Definately need a pusher on that one
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had the p500 universal sight pusher for a couple years.  bought it from the manufacturer.  It is well worth the $$.  I've used it on different pistols and rifles to good effect.  Others have borrowed it and not complained, though the nylon inserts are getting a little beat up at this point.  IMHO, a good enough tool.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
A brass or plastic punch and a hammer from the same set. Inexpensive and universal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A brass or plastic punch and a hammer from the same set. Inexpensive and universal.

yep and a padded set of vise jaws .
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Tim, I am not sure what type of pistols you are installing the sights on, but if they are glocks I have one you can use. I live in LaSalle County.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I tried that with my Sig 229... ended up breaking the plastic punch and the brass punch didn't move the sight at all and just left a bunch of ugly marks.  

I then decided it was time to buy a real sight pusher.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tim, I am not sure what type of pistols you are installing the sights on, but if they are glocks I have one you can use. I live in LaSalle County.

Thanks, but they're not Glocks.  My Glock already has a set of aftermarket night sights.  I actually have a SIG that needs the rear sight drifted to the right a bit...but more than anything I just wanted to own the tool.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
No problem. If I make it to the next shoot at Buffalo Rock I'll bring it along for you to check out. It's a MGW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top