Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:03:12 AM EDT
I don't really have a lot of experience with handguns, I am definately more of a rifle and shotgun person, but for police academy, I have to supply my own handgun, and I think it has to either be 9mm or .40.  I would kind of prefer to have a .40 cal because of its greater stopping power and thats what most police forces have switched over to.  I really would not like to spend much more than $400.  I know that I can find a well used or some cheap pos hi-point for much cheaper than 400, but if im going to buy a firearm, I am going to go ahead and at least get something decent.  I was kind of thinking a glock 22, or 22c, but I heard of a lot of people saying they fire out of battery and can injure you.  Is this true?   What would you experts recommend?  I kind of want a pistol that is full or near full sized, because it will most likely preform better for qualification, am I right?  I still have quite a bit of time until I will be in the Academy, but i'm just looking around a little ahead of time since it's an excuse for me to buy another gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with a Glock 22 because most agencies use them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

about how much do they run in price?  I think the msrp was like 600 or something, but as far as gun websites and msrps, you can't really go by that... The msrp for my plain old mossberg 500 brand new, with no extra slug barrell was 319 on the mossberg website, but if anyone actually paid that much for a stock mossberg 500, I would say they totally got ripped off. It was a christmas present, but I think she said she paid like 170 or 180 for it brand new from the store in the box.  Which was pretty far off from the "msrp"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

about how much do they run in price?  I think the msrp was like 600 or something, but as far as gun websites and msrps, you can't really go by that... The msrp for my plain old mossberg 500 brand new, with no extra slug barrell was 319 on the mossberg website, but if anyone actually paid that much for a stock mossberg 500, I would say they totally got ripped off. It was a christmas present, but I think she said she paid like 170 or 180 for it.

you can find used/PD trade in G22s for ~$400....check out CDNNinvestments (great prices on NIB ones too!) and summit gun broker

most NIB glocks run ~$550 or a little less

personally i dont like the .40sw--too much snap in the recoil imo
i prefer the .45acp--shoots more like a 9mm

glock also offers a LEO discount....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

about how much do they run in price?  I think the msrp was like 600 or something, but as far as gun websites and msrps, you can't really go by that... The msrp for my plain old mossberg 500 brand new, with no extra slug barrell was 319 on the mossberg website, but if anyone actually paid that much for a stock mossberg 500, I would say they totally got ripped off. It was a christmas present, but I think she said she paid like 170 or 180 for it.

you can find used/PD trade in G22s for ~$400....check out CDNNinvestments (great prices on NIB ones too!) and summit gun broker

yes, but I dont think I would qualify for that discount since I won't technically be an LEO yet. It's for training to be a LEO.  I have never shot a .40 s&w.  But I have shot 9x19, .45ACP, 9x18mm, and a few other handgun calibers... But your telling me that a .40 has more recoil than a .45?? I'm not saying your wrong, because I have never shot one, but why?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Glocks can be found quite commonly under $500. Also what I would do is check out what department your looking into, see what they carry and what they offer for carry.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, explain to the gunshop what it's for. Most decent ones will cut you a break if it's for a police officer (or soon to be police officer).

As for my recommendation, check out Springfield XDs, a bit cheaper then glock and just as realible. I've carried mine for awhile now and shot it a lot. 0 problems.

If you really want a Glock, I like the Glock 19. Fairly compact, but still enough gun to be a good duty weapon. The 1/2 inch barrel difference isn't going to make a difference when it's time to qualify, the farthest we shot pistols in the academy was 25 yards, and thats no problem for a Glock 19. It's 9mm...but with decent ammo, it's just as good as any .40.

But it's really up to you lots of good options out there. Myself, I'd stick to the major manufactors, Sig, glock, HK, S&W, Springfield because they will most likely have the holsters and police accessories most available.  But the bottom line is, just find something to fits your hand and has a trigger you like and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but I dont think I would qualify for that discount since I won't technically be an LEO yet. It's for training to be a LEO.  I have never shot a .40 s&w.  But I have shot 9x19, .45ACP, 9x18mm, and a few other handgun calibers... But your telling me that a .40 has more recoil than a .45?? I'm not saying your wrong, because I have never shot one, but why?

to me the .40sw has a more upward snap w/ the recoil and i suck w/ it for follow up shots--i think that its the higher chamber pressures that contribute to the feel
next to that, if i want a high pressure .40 hole, i will stick to my full power 10mm G29
the .45acp more of  push in my wrist
if you can, try one out and see what you think...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this pistol better than a glock... Good name, and pretty good price... I kind of like the specifications on it.  Anyone have one?

www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=14819&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15713

I really like the berettas, but the sigs and berettas are out of my price range and most of the ones I saw are 700 and up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sigma? They are alright, they had a lot of problems in the past. But from what I've seen and read,  S&W has fixed all of them. I have two friends that carry they on duty and they have had 0 problems. So I think it would be a good buy, just get a later model. If you shop around, you can pick one up for $300 or so. My only issue with the pistol is it has a heavy trigger pull, not a huge deal if you practice with it though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Glocks are good, and finding a good used gun in your price range should not be hard.  Rugers have a reputation for being solid and dependable guns, although some people don't like the way the fit the hand.  I'd go 9mm, myself.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to CDNN and download the catalog. IIRC, Glock 22 police trade-ins for ~$350.

If you want new, go to James at Ordnance Outsellers and he'll hook you up right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
After viewing that thread of the glock torture test, im almost sure I want a glock now, but what kind of concerns me is... no safety???  doesnt really make sense... I read on the glock website, the reasoning for it, but man they should at least be optional on some models or something... Probably carry it unchambered if I had to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
After viewing that thread of the glock torture test, im almost sure I want a glock now, but what kind of concerns me is... no safety???  doesnt really make sense... I read on the glock website, the reasoning for it, but man they should at least be optional on some models or something... Probably carry it unchambered if I had to.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont get the Glock until you fired at least 50 rounds through.  See how it fits your hands and how it shoots and recoils.

Why not Glock 9mm?  Glock supports 9mm chambers, while the same thing cannot be said of the other calibers...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
.........Sounds like you need to get to the academy first.........ask everybody you see the same questions.........don`t worry....they`ll teach you to shoot....if they are decent......right now...you`re getting ahead of yourself..........patience young man...........
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A gun is worthless with the chamber left empty.  You will NOT have time to chamber the gun when you need it 100% of the time.  We have an officer that refuses to carry one in the chamber.  Just to demonstrate my point, I charged him with a dummy knife from 30 feet away.  He had just finished chambering a round when I had the dummy knife to his throat.  And I'm not a quick guy either.  Needless to say, he still refuses to carry one in the chamber.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  

If you are that worried about carrying a weapon without a manual safety, I suggest you stick with Beretta and S&W.  The S&W also have magazine disconnect too.  They will also teach you handgun retention skills at the academy. I have primarily carried a Glock 22 for 10 years on patrol.  Havent shot myself or another person accidently.  Glocks, XDs, and Sigs are all safe guns.  Remember, there are 2 main safeties....#1 being your brain, #2 being your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
.........Sounds like you need to get to the academy first.........ask everybody you see the same questions.........don`t worry....they`ll teach you to shoot....if they are decent......right now...you`re getting ahead of yourself..........patience young man...........

ya, I can't apply till I turn 21, which isnt for about 4 months.  Although by that time, I should also be done with my associates in criminal justice, as I have about 50 credit hours so far, and 1 or 2 more semesters should finish it up.  But I don't need to be taught to shoot lol, as you can see below with my collection, Im not a stranger to guns, just handguns.  The only handguns I have shot are a springfield 1911, beretta 92f, and a .32 S&W long.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... no safety???  doesnt really make sense... Probably carry it unchambered if I had to.

You don’t need a manual safety – the revolvers LEO’s used to carry never had them.

I at one time carried a S&W semi with a manual safety.  I never used it.

Carrying with the chamber empty is a super bad idea.

If you’re not comfortable carrying a specific pistol with a round in the chamber, the proper solution is to get a different pistol.

Also – suggest you check out the CPO (used and factory refurbished) SIG’s at CDNN – you’ll have to download their catalog.

And you might see if there’s a local police supply place that will give you a discount.  You’re correct in that you can’t at this point go directly to the manufacturer and get a police discount – to do that you need a letter from the agency head.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Shooting a rifle or shotgun is different than shooting a pistol.   A pistol is a fighting weapon, an extension of your hand(s), which you use to attack your target.  

An unchambered pistol is a dead man's gun.

Listen to your firearms instructors.  Develop good habits now because bad habits are so hard to break.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#21]
No safety isn't bad, just keep your trigger off the damn trigger.

They'll train you to be safe in the academy.

Besides, you may go to work for a police department that requires you to carry a Glock and I dunno about other PDs, but my SOPs say a round must be chambered when carrying for duty use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
i don't like the way glocks fit my hands.  i like my ruger p95 a lot.  i have had zero problems with it.  but if you want something more comfortable and nicer i suggest a cz75.  they come in 9mm and .40sw.  i think they are much nicer than sigs and also under $500.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#23]
For a solid performer at a lower price, EAA witnesses are great deals and solid weapons, though finding a fitted holster will be hell.

An empty chamber is irresponsible to everyone around you, and Glocks have three passive safety systems, if those all work correctly, there is NO way for that weapon to discharge without the trigger being pulled.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#24]
You should be able to get the smaller frame Glocks (9mm & 40SW) for $385 plus tax once you get your LEA appointment letter/date. Just find a Glock LE dealer and they should be able to hook you up. Get some night sights while you are there. I would recommend the G17 also as a first time user. I carried a G19 and G26 for years and never felt the need to get a larger caliber handgun. If you need something bigger - grab a carbine or shotgun!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
+1

A handgun is merely what you use to fight your way back to the car so you can grab the shotgun
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Glocks, Sigs and Berettas tend to be the most common among LEOs. Yes, there are others but those are the big 3. My academy provided us with Berettas. Another local academy uses Glocks. I would stick with one of those three and in 9mm for cost of ammo and ease of shooting.

Another factor to consider is duty gear (holster, mag pouches, etc.). If you have to provide that as well (I'm guessing you do if you have to provide the gun) then those big 3 will be the easiest to find gear for. Check local gunstores and army/navy types for used duty gear.
Have at least 3 mags too.
Oh yeah, ask the academy and/or recent grads for recommendations.
Also if you have a specific agency you want to work for, see what they use and get that, it will make for an easier transition later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
You can get a used Sig P226 in .40 or .357sig for $369 from CDNN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top