Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 9:19:59 AM EDT
My 1911 needs to back to get the sights replaced, since they're regulated poorly. I have had it boxed and and ready to ship for over a week now, but I'm nervous as hell about mailing my favorite gun off.

Is there anything I need to do special? I know about next day shipping, and I already have my return authorization number from SA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My 1911 needs to back to get the sights replaced, since they're regulated poorly. I have had it boxed and and ready to ship for over a week now, but I'm nervous as hell about mailing my favorite gun off.

Is there anything I need to do special? I know about next day shipping, and I already have my return authorization number from SA.

I shipped a troublesome 1911 back and forth a couple of times, without real problem once I discovered I had to go to a 'real' UPS location rather than a "UPS store".  it was really pretty painless. They did ship it back Fed Ex the last time, and I initially thought it had gone missing. Turns out the Fed Ex driver left the package with my 12 year old daughter despite the three 'Adult Signature Required' stickers on the package, and she tossed it in her room 'til I asked her about it after fed ex insisted it had been delivered.

Here's an excerpt from my letter to SA the second time the weapon was shipped to them, describing how fun the shipping process was the first time;

Peggy graciously agreed to have your guys stick on an ambi safety while you had the weapon for repair, in order to help me recoup part of the tuition that I’d lost. (I’m a southpaw anyway, and had planed on having this done locally.) So, I boxed the gun up, and headed out to a little UPS vendor near my house. I walked into the “UPS Store” and informed the owner / clerk that I needed to ship a package. He asked “ground or air”, and I explained that it was a firearm, so as I understood UPS regulations, it had to go priority. By his reaction, you would have thought that I’d said I was shipping radioactive anthrax mixed with ebola. He insisted that not only could I not ship a firearm, but that no one could ship a firearm, ever, under any circumstances. Firearms are evil, and bad, and the cause of everything wrong in the world. He even showed be a little laminated sheet with a picture of a gas can with a red circle and slash over it and said “see, you can’t do that!” My explanation that I was shipping an unloaded, cased firearm and not a can of gasoline fell on deaf ears. So, out the door I went.

I then went to a nearby Staples store, as they do UPS shipping as well. I walked up to the shipping counter, and asked the young lady if she was familiar with the UPS regulations governing the shipping of firearms. She cheerfully said that it would have to go priority, and I breathed a sigh of relief. We began the process of filling out a shipping label, and she asked how I would be paying for it. I explained that I had a shipping number provided by you all, and she gave me a hang dog look and explained that they couldn’t do that and that I’d need to take the package to the “real” UPS depot. So, once again, out the door I went.

Now, this all was taking place at about 2:30 on Friday 11 July. Did you hear about the tanker explosion at US 12 /18 and Interstate 90/94 that Friday? Well, I was on 12/18 trying to get out to the UPS depot when it happened. All I can say is that I’m glad that I’d scotch guarded the seats in my truck. My first thought was ‘no wonder UPS doesn’t let you ship open cans of gas’.

Two and a half hours later, I’d made it the three miles to the UPS depot, and ran in the door almost as they were locking it. I handed the box to the young guy behind the counter, and asked to ship it with your shipping number. He asked if it was to go by ground or air, and, with some trepidation, I explained again that it was a firearm, and thus had to go priority. He looked confused, and asked “do you have a license?”  I mulled his question over briefly. Do I have a license? Well, I have several. I have a driver’s license. I have a Paramedic license. My scuba diving card could be considered a form of license. So I said “yes”. He looked relieved, and accepted the package.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I shipped my XD back to SA when I messed it up reassembling it in the dark.  I shipped it through the store I bought it at, and it cost me 20 bucks.  I got it back in something like a month or so, and everyone at the gunshop was amazed that I got it back so qucikly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]

I stuck the blue box with gun in a FedEx box.  Got there the next day.

A word of caution, send only what you HAVE to.  I sent the entire package back (the little keys, allen wrench, everything!) that came with the gun.

They had to re-send me the little keys, allen wrench, etc. when they neglected to put it back in the box

If I had to have the slide replaced again (ejection port needed additional machining, but they simply replaced the slide), I would send only the complete gun and case (keep the mags, etc at home, just in case!)
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Not that the departments are the same or anything...

I found it ALMOST postworthy to announce my Springfield catalog took more than a month to receive. I thought that was odd.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I am most worried that some company monkey is going to screw this up somehow. I printed out a sheet stating the problem, my return auth # and return address and put it in the box with the gun, and then another one just like out in the shipping box with the packing peanuts.

I'm really afraid somebody, somewhere is going to fuck up and I'll be out my favorite pistol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never shipped any thing to SA, but any firearm I ship, is shipped in 2 box, an inner and an outer.  The shipping companies really treat the packages really rough.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am most worried that some company monkey is going to screw this up somehow. I printed out a sheet stating the problem, my return auth # and return address and put it in the box with the gun, and then another one just like out in the shipping box with the packing peanuts.

I'm really afraid somebody, somewhere is going to fuck up and I'll be out my favorite pistol.

Thats how I felt when I sent it out

Include a picture with arrows with verbage (I did) of the various things you want done.  Remember that these guys see guns all day, every day, from everywhere.

Make it as easy as possible for them and it will get done just the way YOU want it done.

I also wrapped my stainless in a towel then put it in the blue box then in the FedEx box.  Did not get the towel back.

AGAIN, send only the minimum!  They have all the tools, keys, etc there already.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
They are the ones who built it. They know what they are doing.
I had a good experience when I send my 1911 back due to jamming. They stated on the workorder that they polished the chamber and breach and tuned the extractor. They fired 3 boxes of different type hollowpoints to test it, and sent it back to me.
After taking the pistol apart to clean it, I noticed that they also replaced the springs and such also. It was all done under warranty at no charge. It was only gone a couple of weeks, and it was a painless process.
Besides, even if by some chance they mess up the gun, they can always give you a brand new one
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Shipped my XD back for jamming problems and grouping problems. That was 2 weeks ago. I'll call tomorrow to check up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only sent two things back to SA..

1. M6 scout.. qucik turnaround
2. Scope.  again, quick turnaround

disclaimer: it was in the late 80's
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
VG I've got a spare Kimber you can borrow if you like, until your Springfield comes back at least.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that offer, but I've got plenty on hand to carry.  None of them are my favorite though. I love that gun, nicks and dings and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top