Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 2:59:54 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting a job with a major armored car company & they require you to have a pistol & will supply the ammo. They do provide one guy armed with a shotgun, but my weapon will be the pistol.

I'm not sure what bullet or weight they will issue in what caliber so that's a non player right now.

I'd like to get a weapon light for the pistol also.

What pistol would ya recomend and why for such a job.

I will also have a backup S&W 442 revolver even of it's not authorized
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
glock 20
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
3rd Gen. GLOCK. I would go with a G34 for uniformed carry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I don't know much about this line of work, but my guess is that if you did get into SHTF, the BG might be wearing body armor.

I may go out on a limb here and say possibly an FN 5-7.

20 rounds, and you'd probably have access to the real ss190 ammunition.

Just an idea.

Otherwise, USP .45 Tactical, cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Get you class III license and buy a Glock 18 dealer sample

Strap a few G18 mags on you hip and you will be good to go...I promise no one will mess with you.

In all seriousness I think a good quality 1911 will serve you well(prefferably STAINLESS, it will make it look bigger and more intimidating). Me personally, I have always felt that when I saw an armored car guy with a 1911 he knew a lot about guns and was not someone to F*CK with.

Also, for the added insurance, grow a beard...chew some bubble gum and wear a pair of sunglasses. Shave your head too.....only a real badass would do that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
No offense, but I'd use a rifle for an armored car job.

That's what they used in HEAT.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Not knowing what calibers they'll allow doesn't help in pistol section.  I've trained with several armory car guys in my time and most if not all were issued Smith in 357mag.  I feel a wheel gun is as good as any for armory car duties... especially in 357mag or 44mag.  Training is everything.

Almost all armory transport company's PnP will have you giving up the cash if your life's in danger and making your way back to the armory car.  If they allow you to pick the pistol you want and you want an auto... I would recommend something in line of a 40SW or a 45ACP.  USP & Glock are both good for capacity... also look at Sig.  If cash is an issue, look at Ruger and Smith, both makes great autoloader... but on the heavy side compare to what's on the market.

~nb
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In all seriousness I think a good quality 1911 will serve you well(prefferably STAINLESS, it will make it look bigger and more intimidating). Me personally, I have always felt that when I saw an armored car guy with a 1911 he knew a lot about guns and was not someone to F*CK with.

In an attempted armored robbery, you are much more likely to be facing multiple armed attackers than in the average self defense situation. In such a scenario, a gun that will require a reload after only firing 8 rounds might not be such a good idea. A GLOCK 17 or 34 with +2 would give you 20 rounds in the weapon. Two spare mags will give you a total of 58 rounds compared to 22-25 rounds with a single stack .45ACP. Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Good choices would be the Glock 17, 19 in 9mm, the Glock 22 or G23 in 40S&W or the Glock 31 or 32 in 357 Sig.

Or if want to spend a bit more money and you like SIG handguns a 226, 229 in one of the above mentioned calibers.

I like 1911's as much as the next gut but theres a reason Glocks and Sigs are the most common in Law Enforcement.

Personally, I would say go for the Glock 22 with night sights and a hand held tactical light, two extra 15 rnd mags on your belt, your j-frame on the ankle and a Kel-tec p3at in the pocket, with a AR-15 in the truck and your partner with his shotgun and handguns, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If U can carry cocked and locked (as per their rules), I would go w/ a USP from HK).

U can maybe get one with their LEM trigger.

Otherwise, probably a Glock or the new S&W M&P.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Hummmm, lots of good ideas However, a AR is out of the question, or I'd take my SEBR with the EoTech along for the ride

I've got a Colt Series 80 1911 (customized), 92FS, 686 and 442 & a Sig239 (357sig) so I'd like to keep the ammo the same as pistols I've already got in the stable.

The total round count is something I've got to ponder on, that's a good thing having lots of ammo on hand me thinks

Also like the night sight idea

I've also got a soft spot for the .45ACP, so the G21 might be the way to go but I've been told the frame is HUGE & nobody around here has one I can play with to see how it fits my hands.

No hero anm I, the $$$ will go to the badguys if it's tactically sound to do so, but I want something that will help me pull my fat azz out of a tight sopt if it ever happens & the pistol is only a part of the training and tactics required to keep alive in a poo hitting the fan kind of situation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't carry professionally, but I have two Walther P99 pistols (9mm and .40), and I love them both a lot.  I would trust my life to either of these pistols, and these are what I use as my CCWs.

They've very ergonomic, light, and I've yet to have a problem with either of them.  I got the .40 back in 2002 and I picked up the 9mm in 2004.  Both are great shooters.

No manual safety, striker fired (no hammer), very quick disassembly/reassembly, comes with three grips, double/single action (quick action, double action only are also available).

Just something else to consider.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
rifle

as a pistol: G20 or probably more feesable (for ammo costs), G21
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just for the record there is no such thing as a class III license.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No offense, but I'd use a rifle for an armored car job.

That's what they used in HEAT.  

+1. That's what I was thinking when I jumped in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]
USP in your choice of caliber.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Gun ports on the truck? might need to go with a wheel gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Most armored car guards I have seen pack BIG stainless revolvers. I suspect its for the intimidation effect.

Honestly, I would not get into a shootout with anyone desperate enough to try to rob an armored car. The gun only needs to be enough to keep heads down while you get under cover, and maybe to keep the bad guys away while the police get there. A revolver and a few speed loaders might do the job, but I would be tempted to pack a semi-auto in a decent caliber (357sig, 45ACP, or 40S&W if you have to..) with at least a couple of spare mags.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#19]
10mm Glock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Para Ord P14
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked for Wells before it was Loomis and we were issued S&W modle10's w/ .38 LRN along with the cheapest, most uncomfortable vests $$$ could buy (quanity over quality).

I would be more worried about your choice of BODY ARMOR than choice in pistol.  Not to long after I left one of the guys was shot point blank in the chest during a robbery.  Luckily it was a small caliber round and he was o.k.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Based on the guns you already own, I'd say a P226R or P229R in .357Sig.  If the company is picking up the bill for the ammo, and your hands are big enough, get a Glock 20 (10mm).  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Guns I own now?  a Para P14.45

Buy a new one - I would probably go with a Springfield XD in .45.  

Come to think of it, I think I AM going to buy one of those....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
A full size gun would be the best in 40 or 45 or 10mm.

Depends on your budget.  Lower budget you can't beat a S&W 40VE or 4006 or 45xx or 1006.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Although there has been a lot of good and bad choices given the ultimate decision lies with you and what you feel comfortable shooting.

You are already ahead of hte game by having made the decision to not play hero.  Screw the money its insured.  You are more important than anything you are delivering or picking up.  With that said you need to think about the best setup to have to keep you and your partner(s) alive until the calvary arrives.  Do you want maximum firepower or more ammunition with less weight?  

For overall weight maybe a good 9mm with hi-cap magazines if you are aloud to have them. (Remember this is for only suppresion shooting while taking a good position of cover.)

If the company would allow it I would go with the FN 5-7.  Not for the AP advantage (come on what company is going to spring for those?) but for the weight and the 20 round magazines.  Depending on your gear (Some of the AC guys around here wear tact vests) you could be wearing 4 extra magazines (100 rounds!!!!!)

For fit and all out performance I am and will always be partial to the 1911.  For me nothing comes close to my Springfield Armory MC Operator.  It functions flawlessly and I can throw my X200 light on and rock and roll.  

Quoted:

Also, for the added insurance, grow a beard...chew some bubble gum and wear a pair of sunglasses. Shave your head too.....only a real badass would do that.

Hey I shave my head, I have a beard and I was wearing sunglasses this afternoon!!! I must be a badass!!!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Glock 17 (9mm)
Glock 20 (10mm)
Glock 21 (.45 ACP)

You can't go wrong with one of the above.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well, I don't know much about this line of work, but my guess is that if you did get into SHTF, the BG might be wearing body armor.

I may go out on a limb here and say possibly an FN 5-7.

20 rounds, and you'd probably have access to the real ss190 ammunition.

Just an idea.

Otherwise, USP .45 Tactical, cocked and locked.

Exactly what I was thinking,  + 3 mags.    Why would you need a light?  I would imagine that a quick draw would be more important than bling.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#28]
My knowledge is only Florida law.  People on an armored car were only allowed to carry a revolver, .38 Special or .357 Mag (.38 Special rounds only).  

They just began allowing them to carry autos.  I would suspect 9mm's.  

If that's the case where you are, a S&W 357 Mag would be my choice for a revolver.  Glock 17 would be my choice for an auto.  

You might want to think about a Glock 26 on your leg.  Same ammo and mags, in case your primary sidearm stops working.  

Check with the company before shopping for a sidearm.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Strap a few G18 mags on you hip and you will be good to go...I promise no one will mess with you.

Make sure you gain a ton weight... And NEVER press your uniform...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Depending on your customers, I'd guess a revolver would be the only good choice.  I'm GM of a company that primarily runs an armored car/courier service, and the few times I had guys carry Glocks, the customers freaked-out.  We lost two jewelery stores over that incident.  The company doesn't have permission to carry from the state, but several of the guys are city cops retired on disability and they carry anyway.  Since then the company bought a couple of Colt 38 Special revolvers and holsters for the former LEO's to carry instead of their personal weapons.  I've only had a few dozen complaints in the past six years since I did that.

With the political climate out there now and since 90+% of the people you deal with are anti-gun, carrying anything other than the standard 6-shot 4" barrel revolver is going to piss off customers and the customers of your customers.

In an attempted armored robbery, you are much more likely to be facing multiple armed attackers than in the average self defense situation.

Do you really think his employer wants him to shoot it out with a bunch of bad guys?  I bet they, like I would my guys, would rather you run and hide rather than return fire.  We have very good insurance for a reason.

Spend your money on a good vest instead.z
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you really need a weapon light?  Most armored car jobs are daylight hours.  I would go with Glock 17, 19, Springfield XD 9mm or 45acp, Sig 226, or Para-Ordnance Tac Four.  At least 3 mags with good quality HP ammo.  If you can carry a back-up piece, I'd get one too.  And get plenty of cheap ammo for practice.  Two to the body, one to the head.  Start off nice and slow at 3 yard line.  Once you get your speed up and can do it consistently, go to 7 yard line and start over slow.  Then start working on center-mass shots at 15 yards and 25 yards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I would ask if there are any limits on caliber.  10mm and 5.7 might be great but maybe they are not allowed for whatever reason.  Short of that I would go with a Glock/XD/USP .45.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#35]

you would rather have your guys shot then[than] deffend[defend] themselves.

These sort of twisted personal attacks is why this site is getting less and less useful.  How in the world could you get out of my post that I want to get shot while at work?z
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I recently turned down an armored car job - too far, and 9 bux an hour

While I was considering the job, I decided on carrying my HD Glock 20 - lots of firepower, high capacity, and no grip issues at all for my medium-sized hands.

I also wanted to carry my HD round - DoubleTap 165gr Golden Sabers @ 1425fps.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

These sort of twisted personal attacks is why this site is getting less and less useful.  How in the world could you get out of my post that I want to get shot while at work?z

I will accept the hit on that dickhead attack.  I was having flashbacks to a job long ago where many company issues were dictated by clueless customers.  My apologies.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#38]
i worked for brinks for 2.5 yrs.  i did atms.  we carried .38 revolvers with gold dots.  some branches were gettin sw tacticals in .40.  when i went to another companys branch that did not provide weapons i saw revolvers, glocks, a few 1911s, and a few hks.  youll probably be limited to full size autos in 9mm, .40, or .45.  revolvers in .38.  if you carry an auto, unload the mags after every shift.  id buy my own ammo, gold dots.  a flashlight is a good thing to have on your belt; lights in trucks sometimes dont work, vehicle inspections, etc.  keep your head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Depending on your customers, I'd guess a revolver would be the only good choice.  I'm GM of a company that primarily runs an armored car/courier service, and the few times I had guys carry Glocks, the customers freaked-out.  We lost two jewelery stores over that incident.  The company doesn't have permission to carry from the state, but several of the guys are city cops retired on disability and they carry anyway.  Since then the company bought a couple of Colt 38 Special revolvers and holsters for the former LEO's to carry instead of their personal weapons.  I've only had a few dozen complaints in the past six years since I did that.

With the political climate out there now and since 90+% of the people you deal with are anti-gun, carrying anything other than the standard 6-shot 4" barrel revolver is going to piss off customers and the customers of your customers.

In an attempted armored robbery, you are much more likely to be facing multiple armed attackers than in the average self defense situation.

Do you really think his employer wants him to shoot it out with a bunch of bad guys?  I bet they, like I would my guys, would rather you run and hide rather than return fire.  We have very good insurance for a reason.

Spend your money on a good vest instead.z

A really excellent reason not to take the job.  Your life has Gotta be worth more than $17.50  $9.00 per hour.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Desert Eagle .50AE.The first shot will scare the shit out of 'em, the 2nd shot's concussion will knock 'em down, then you have 5 more shots just in case!!!!

Sorry, couldnt resist!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#41]
If I was in your position of possibly getting shot at , I would want a Glock G21 45 ACP.  Hardly any recoil and a great fight stopper. They are heavy but I can shoot heavy guns more accurately.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Sig 226 in .357sig
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#43]
What sidearm did Pacino use in Heat?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
My knowledge is only Florida law.  People on an armored car were only allowed to carry a revolver, .38 Special or .357 Mag (.38 Special rounds only).  

They just began allowing them to carry autos.  I would suspect 9mm's.  

If that's the case where you are, a S&W 357 Mag would be my choice for a revolver.  Glock 17 would be my choice for an auto.  

You might want to think about a Glock 26 on your leg.  Same ammo and mags, in case your primary sidearm stops working.  

Check with the company before shopping for a sidearm.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Thats what I was thinking too
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd say anything of reputable manufacture.  I worked for one, briefly, and I used my Kimber Custom II 5" and never thought I was "under-gunned" in the least bit.  I stuffed Wilson 10 rounders in it, since I was carrying exposed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#46]
1911 in 45acp of course
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top