Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2002 6:54:41 AM EDT
Recently, I purchased a Kimber Custom Target. This is my 6th 1911, although my first Kimber. I have always used Wilson magazines and have never had any problems, whatsoever. I have experienced failure to lock the slide back on empty magazines with the Kimber/Wilson combination. I have trieed both 7 and 8 round magazines, and verified functioning of the magazines in various other pistols, including Colt, SA, and Wilson. They work perfectly. Anybody with any input?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably just a burr on the slide catch somewhere, or possibly the frame or slide. Will the slide lock back with an empty mag if cycled by hand? If so, it could just be a slightly over-strength recoil spring...more shooting will cure this. I would not worry unless I had fired 300-500rd. through it for break-in.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The pistol should function flawlessly!  Maybe one or two malfunctions in the first few hundred rounds would be acceptable, but anything else is too much.

you need to have a 1911 pistol smith check it out.  I have a norinco 1911 that just started doing the same thing after years of use.  I just don't want to pay to get a plinker diagnosed!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
the problem is the weak spring in the mag and the plastic follower. Fast fix, remove the base and stretch the mag spring an extra 1.5-2" longer and reassemble it. try in pistol..it now works. Wilson/rogers mags are OLD technology.
Get Les Baer or Chip McCormic 8rds and they are great...have extra strength wolff springs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The Wilson mags failed to lock the slide open on my Colt Gold Cup, where all other brands did.
The same Wilsons worked flawlessly on all my other 1911 types.
I believe in 100% interchangabilty between gun magazines with all my guns, so the Wilsons no longer live here. (Not intended to be a bad rap on Wilson mags, just the facts in my case).
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My Wilson 7 and 8 round mags have worked great in my Colt, my two Springfields and my Wilson (Duh).  Sometimes the gun or mags need some tweeking to work.  Let the Kimber break in before you take it to a smith.  My SIG P226 did this until I put about 300 rounds through it.  

Call me goofy, but if they are the magazine of choice of Delta and specified by name by the FBI for their HRT guns, they have to be good.  They are the only 1911 mag I use.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
 Wilson tend to NOT lock open my S.A. either but McCormick Powers rock.  Yet Wilsons never failed to open my Colt.  Just one of those things.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 Wilson tend to NOT lock open my S.A. either but McCormick Powers rock.  Yet Wilsons never failed to open my Colt.  Just one of those things.

No problem with the Wilson mag in either of my Kimbers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got two Kimbers that won't lock back with Wilson mags, and on one the mag has to be forcefully pulled from the magwell. McCormick mags work fine, though. Just one of those thangs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of the early Kimbers had defective slide stop.
I had an early Kimber, called them, and they sent me a new improved slide stop.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
the problem is the weak spring in the mag and the plastic follower. Fast fix, remove the base and stretch the mag spring an extra 1.5-2" longer and reassemble it. try in pistol..it now works. Wilson/rogers mags are OLD technology.
Get Les Baer or Chip McCormic 8rds and they are great...have extra strength wolff springs.

The 1911 itself is "old" technology, but it works.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with anothergene, I have early Wilsons that were not reliable in all my guns. Some they would work in others they wouldnt. The other thing that annoyed me was the little note in the package that said they only recomended the use of hardball with the mags. That in its self did them in. I have a bunch of 1911's. The only mags I've found that work in all of them all the time are the USGI "contract #" mags. So far they have been the cheapest too.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top