Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:07:53 PM EDT
I just came back from the range after shooting my new 229 DAK for the first time and it was rather embarassing to say the least considering I was competing in a weekly bowling pin match.  I am horribly inaccurate with my 229 DAK, i'm just hitting all over the place with no real patterns in either direction.

My 229 DAK has night sights on it and when I was I couldn't even see the night sights or the semi-white dot where the night sights are, the front sight post just looked huge and black without any dot in the middle so it was rather difficult for me to focus on it.  

I also have a Beretta M9 that I am very accurate with and when I went back to my M9 during the same shooting session I had dead on accuracy.  The 229 feels better in my hand, the trigger is a lot better, and everything about the 229 DAK just feels better to me, I think it's got to be the night sights that are on it and how the front sight post is absolutely huge and I don't have a white dot to focus on.

I'm sure if the range had the lights dim or something I would have been more accurate since I would have been able to focus on the small and precise green dot rather than the entire huge front sight post.

I'll draw up a quick picture in Microsoft Paint so you guys can mabye visually see exactly what I mean.  Here:

The sight picture at the top is what I saw and I was really trying to concentrate hard on that front sight post but it was really difficult without there being a little dot there, the sight post just seemed massive without a dot in the middle to focus on.  The bottom sight picture is what it looks like with the night sights glowing brightly in dim light, i'm sure I would have been more accurate had I had the small dot to focus on.

What do you guys think?  I'm seriously considering buying a set of regular sights and putting those back on and just selling the night sights.

Is it the sights or is it me?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The SIG sights don't work for me, as I probably mentioned in your original thread. The night sights aren't the best for quick acquisition either, if you are used to the white three-dot pattern.

I suggest replacing them (or maybe the front at least) with Truglo TFO (tritium fiber optics).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some Meprolite night sights. They have a much better daylight sight picture due to the big white ring on the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information.

Which night sights will get me the best sight picture in daylight conditions: Meprolight or TruGlo tritium fiber optics?

Are there any other sights I should consider that will give me a good sight picture in daylight?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the information.

Which night sights will get me the best sight picture in daylight conditions: Meprolight or TruGlo tritium fiber optics?

Are there any other sights I should consider that will give me a good sight picture in daylight?

Thanks

The Meps are much faster for me. the Tru-Glo sights don't have any white ring or border so I don't really like them at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Should of bought a Glock.

Sory just being petulant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Should of bought a Glock.

Sory just being petulant.

What I should have done was bought a Sig with regular factory sights.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Presumably the DAK trigger is not an issue.

I find the overhead light at wherever I’m shooting can really affect my ability to see my sights clearly, as can the target (esp. if it’s black).

That said, for me the dots are a distraction for precision shooting.  To me, the only advantage to dots / nightsites with white circles are for 1 - low light situations where all-black sights wouldn’t be visible, or 2 – for fast flash sight picture type shooting.

I’ve never seen a bullseye target shooter with any iron sight except all-black ones like in your top drawing.

Basically, you keep the front sight precisely lined up with the rear sight and, while doing this, put the absolute top, center of the front sight where you want the bullet to impact.  The top, center of the front sight is nothing more than a point.

Anyway, that’s what works for me.

YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Presumably the DAK trigger is not an issue.

I find the overhead light at wherever I’m shooting can really affect my ability to see my sights clearly, as can the target (esp. if it’s black).

That said, for me the dots are a distraction for precision shooting.  To me, the only advantage to dots / nightsites with white circles are for 1 - low light situations where all-black sights wouldn’t be visible, or 2 – for fast flash sight picture type shooting.

I’ve never seen a bullseye target shooter with any iron sight except all-black ones like in your top drawing.

Basically, you keep the front sight precisely lined up with the rear sight and, while doing this, put the absolute top, center of the front sight where you want the bullet to impact.  The top, center of the front sight is nothing more than a point.

Anyway, that’s what works for me.

YMMV of course.

Careful precision shooting has little place in fighting with a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't like the factory SIG-Lite Night Sights. I couldn't see the dots on them either. I would definitely go with the Meprolights. I'm looking at trying out the TruGlo TFO's, but I haven't heard anything on them. Anybody tried them out?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...Careful precision shooting has little place in fighting with a pistol.

And fighting with pistols has little to do with weekly bowling pin matches.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the sig night sights were manufactured by mepro?

I Had a similar experience with MY 239SAS DAK. I just cant shoot tight groups with this gun. I love the looks and the feel but I cant shoot it as well as my HKs and glock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I didn't like the factory SIG-Lite Night Sights. I couldn't see the dots on them either. I would definitely go with the Meprolights. I'm looking at trying out the TruGlo TFO's, but I haven't heard anything on them. Anybody tried them out?

Yes, I've put them on several pistols.  They are the most visible day and night sights available.  There might be brighter daytime fiber sights but those are nearly useless in a low light area.  The TFOs are about as bright as other tritium sights in a dim environment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Careful precision shooting has little place in fighting with a pistol.

And fighting with pistols has little to do with weekly bowling pin matches.

OVER THE LINE!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm looking at trying out the TruGlo TFO's, but I haven't heard anything on them. Anybody tried them out?

Yes I have them on my G19 and they absolutely rule.  They are like nothing else: simply amazing.

Cheers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top