Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 11:49:42 PM EDT
Went to the local indoor today because they have a Nighthawk Custom in the rental case that I wanted to try out after hearing all the hype.Accurate and fit's well in my hand but 120 rds into the session the safety falls off,broken in two.Exchange it for a Kimber.The kimber is just as accurate but is almost painful to shoot.Very sharp checkering and all the recoil seems pin pointed on the web of my hand,not at all like the Nighthawk.And it chokes twice in the course of 50 rds(double feeds).My buddies Glock begins stove piping every few rounds.But my West German P228 (that has not been cleaned in over 1,000 rds and using cheapie Pro-mags due to a sig reliability bet with my buddy) keeps chugging away as accurate as always.Now,I realize the Night hawk and Kimber are rentals ie. beat it like someone else own's it, and the glock choking is not a normal occurence but damn if it didn't convince me to stay with Sig and convince my buddy to forego plans for an XD and buy a Sig instead.Not a condemnation of the others,just strange how it all shook out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Your buddys glock stovepiped because you limp wristed it. Your technique prolly needs some help. But you will not get the help YOU need, because your snobbery is as plain as your ascot sticking out around the collar of your shirt.

Learn to shoot them all. Learn to like them all, and when the time comes you wont be bitching because your pretty little siggy wiggy isnt available.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Funny my first Sig couldnt get through 50 rounds without malfunctioning.    Fortunately the second wasnt so finicky.   Your little range rental experience is hardly a definitive sampling.    I imagine the Kimber was an external extractor gun if you had functioning issues with it, fortunately Kimber has seen the error of their ways and is going back to traditional extractors.   ( IIRC)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Your sampling is NOT the norm.  The Sig. would be my last choice unless the Kimber was EE.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I did not say that this is a norm,in fact I specifically stated that this was not a condemnation of the others and that I realize that it is not a normal occurence.Funny how despite me pointing that out that ,I am variously accused of snobbery,trolling,and being a neophyte. I don't wear an ascot and am as working class as you can get,and while my technique could undoubtly use help,as could virtually everyone's,i'm hardly a novice.And the Glocks problem was a bad extractor spring not me limp wristing it.You guy's don't need to get your pretty pink panties in a bunch over a PERCEIVED slight to your preffered weapon.All companies will turn out a lemon,springs weaken,metal fatigues,etc.I posted only cause it was so unusual to have 3 weapons malfunction in one sitting.I guess the title is abit over the top and rereading my original post I understand how my preference could be seen as snobbery.That being said. I still will trust my "pretty little siggy wiggy".
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll stnd by my Sig 226, 220 and 239.  They have all been flawless in years of carrying and shooting.  Nothing negative about anybody else's stuff.  Those are my choices for duty and off duty.

Kahr PM9 when it's summer and I can't really hide the bigger guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your buddys glock stovepiped because you limp wristed it. Your technique prolly needs some help.

Don't blame the shooter for the poor ergonomics of the Glock grip. Damn thing was designed for .

Yeah, and I've got both Glocks and Sigs.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#7]
How about another challenge.

Carry your Sig 228 in the hot summer and then carry a Glock, after your Sig rusts from the shitty park job then talk to us.

A sig 228 is nice but has no real roll. It's too wide, too heavy and only holds 13rds. for its size with factory mags.  Also the long double action trigger makes it hard to shoot fast and accurate.

Other than that it is a nice gun

By the way, I do own a Sig 228, it sits in the back of the gun safe because I know I will never get what I paid for it.  Might have it hard-chromed some day but the Glock is lighter, and vertually rust proof.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to agree with you MadBodhi. The Sig is great little handgun. So is the Glock, Kimber, HK, Taurus, Springfield, Bren, Kahr, Kel-Tec, AA, Bersa ....and on ....and on. I know first hand, because I have owned several of most of these weapons. I can, and do, shoot them all pretty well. Maybe some better than others, but I can shoot anything I pick up, better than most people. I've had problems with some guns that I had to troubleshoot and correct. Sometimes its as simple as the wrong ammo. Afterall, a gun is just a machine and nothing is perfect.

The biggest factor for failure that I have found over the last 35 years, hundreds of guns and tens of thousands of rounds, is the shooter. I discovered at some point along the way, to stop searching for a gun that would compensate for my lack of ability and just become master of the weapon. I stopped trying to blame the firearms and searching for that "one magic gun". Instead, I just decided to take responsibility and get control. Funny thing is, they all shoot much better now. But hey, thats just me.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
SIGs all the way. I have never had problems with the 220's my family owns or the 229 my dad carries. My 226R didn't lock back after one clip one time. I hate my glock. I heard such good things about the 17, but I'll take my 226 any day over a dish-washer safe child's toy. If it's good enough for a SEAL, it's good enough for me!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
D] If it's good enough for a SEAL, it's good enough for me!

Or if you are the lowest bidder on a contract

I personally know for a fact that there are soldiers over in Iraq who personally would pay out of pocket for a glock...not my words but my cousin's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top