Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2002 11:22:09 PM EDT
Do the newer Browning Hi-Powers have the same quality of the older ones when it comes to reliable function?

Will they reliably feed hollowpoints?

Will the 9mm versions still accept the older style magazines?

Finally, what Browning Hi-Power models should I avoid? If any?

Thanks,
Charging Handle
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#1]
There are NO HiPower models to avoid.

The quality is still exactly the same, maybe better. Browning never had anything to say about the HP. They've always been made by FN, not Browning. Browning was just the US distributor. There are lots of myths about Browning requiring a higher quality level and such, but they are just that, myths.

The FN Hipowers, FM HiPowers, FEG PJK 9HP, Arcus M-94 all use exactly the same magazines.

I have never had a problem with feeding any ammo in any of my BHPs, FM HPs or any of my clones.

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's sure a nice collection you have there. I once had a FEG PJK-9HP and let it go. I got it for next to nothing and it was a perfect condition pistol. But I was stupid at the time and thought it was just a cheap Browning look-a-like. I needed my butt kicked for letting it go. I may try to find another one sometime, I think they still import them.

The Hi-Power is the sweetest feeling and pointing pistol I ever held. Gotsta get me one of those!
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Just watch out on the FEGs. They make a blue skizzillion of models called HP Type. The FEG PJK 9HP is the closest to the P-35 and about all parts except the slide and the slide lock lever will interchange.

Just to jog your memory about what the PJK looks like...

FEG PJK 9HP with C&S ambi-safety and Spegel grips.

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the older Browning Hi-Powers have humped feed ramps that need throating to be reliable with hollow points.  Im not sure, but I think the change came along with the models that have firing pin safeties.  No big thing for a gunsmith to tackle.  I like the MKII's or MKIII's in black.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Charging_Handle, I have been known to shoot one or two Browning High-Powers (BHP) and my advice is to look for a MKII if you can find it. Why? For some reason a friend of mine and I seem to think they are more accurate. My MKII isn't as pretty as my other BHPs but it will shoot rings around them. Regards, Richard:-)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Again, thanks for all the great advice. The fellow at the gunshop here has a Browning with parkerized finish. Think it says made in Salt Lake City, Utah on the slide. It isn't as pretty as the blued pistols, but looks excellent in all other ways. Anyone have a clue what model this might be based on the info I have?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Again, thanks for all the great advice. The fellow at the gunshop here has a Browning with parkerized finish. Think it says made in Salt Lake City, Utah on the slide. It isn't as pretty as the blued pistols, but looks excellent in all other ways. Anyone have a clue what model this might be based on the info I have?

That would be really hard to tell. See if you can get the first part of the serial number, some markings from the slide and we may be able to help. I can tell you that it WASN'T made in SLC. All HiPowers are made by FN, Browning never made any or really had anything to do with it other than as the US distributor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
What about those Argentine FN's that are reported to have been made on Browning machinery. Are they the same as Colt 1927 by way of being interchangeable with 1911?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]
My Argentine has been 100% compatible with FN parts.  No problems there.  It was licensed produced, so there is generally no problems with interchagability.  The quality controls are there.  

Ross
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about those Argentine FN's that are reported to have been made on Browning machinery. Are they the same as Colt 1927 by way of being interchangeable with 1911?

If you're talking about the old milsurp ones then yes they are fully interchangeable. If you're talking about the FM ones then they ARE HiPowers made under license.

By the way, Browning never made ANY HiPowers or ever had ANYTHING to do with the HiPower other than being the US distributor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top