Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:29:04 PM EDT
I am currently debating between a major purchase of a handgun.  I know that the general Ar15.com advice is to get everything that you are thinking about, but I honestly cannot afford to get both.  I have enough money to get one or the other.

I am deciding between a HK Mark 23 and a high quality 1911 (Wilson, Yost-Bonitz, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc.).

Here are the pros and cons of each as I see them:

I personally like every HK pistol that I have ever shot so I am not buying based solely upon their reputation.  I have never had a problem with any of the HK's that I shot and find them to be very reliable.  I am also impressed with the ruggedness of the pistol.  The Mark 23 grip, although large, fits me very well and I like the way that the controls are arranged.  I like the O-ring design and I think that it is very innovative.  I have never heard a bad thing mentioned about these guns.

As for the 1911's, I like the 1911's I have shot.  They have always been more accurate then I am when shooting them.  I believe that there is a big difference in an out of the box Colt or Springfield and a 1911 where a number of the parts are hand fit to the gun and are match grade.  My biggest fear with one of these high quality 1911's is that I would be afraid to really use the gun.  I would be worried about getting scratches and such on it, where I don't have that concern with the HK.

I realize that once I purchase either one of these guns, I will pretty much be stuck with it.  It will be very difficult for me to sell these guns if I decided to since they are not very liquid.  I want to make the right decision.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is for the 1911. You can purchase a match grade and still have $$$ left over compared to that HK you reference.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take a YoBo 1911 over the Mk23 in an instant.

I have no desire to have another USP, and the fuckers are HUGE compared to a 1911. I plan on carrying the damn thing, so I want a firearm I can conceal.

My desires are probably very different from yours though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I already have a USP compact or P7M8 that I will carry, so a carry gun is not my main concern.  I am mainly looking for a high quality pistol that will be fun to shoot and will be accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top