Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:10:03 AM EDT
These look like good handguns.................what are your experiences
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine---very accurate once you get used to the sights. Feels great in the hand. About 600 trouble free rounds thru it now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Wonderful Weapon.

450 trouble free Rounds through mine so far.

Some people have complained of ejection problems, but of all the complaints on the M-A1 series, they have all been in the 500 round break in period. The steyr is a very tight weapon when it comes from the factory, so this may be possible, but I have yet to experience it.

The trigger is very crisp, right out of the box.

The sights are not for everyone, but I really like them, it took about 100 rounds to get used to them, but I really don't want any other sights now. However, if you don't like them, there are 3 dot night sights available.

The Steyr has a super low bore axis, and a 111 degree  angle on the handle. This translate to less muzzle flip, and greater shootability than just about any hand gun out there.

It is my oppinion, that the Steyr is a $600+ gun, easily as good as any of the other duty side arms. (HK, Springfield, Sig, Glock, etc)

Go here to really get some info though.
www.steyrclub.com/
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
What Guyver1 said. Wouldn't trade mine for two Glocks!
(There was another thread on them a week or two ago BTW, you might still find it.)

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the newer varaiant?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Steyr M40. Bought it used for $280.

I think the Steyr is one of the love most over looked handgun. The 111 degree grip angle is nice, and the triangle sights are very fast.

Also the M40 and M9 have a safety.

Mags are pretty cheap $29 for hi cap and $10 for ten rounders.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I want one, but just don't have the money
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I should have been more specific, Mine is the M40-A1, there are four diferences between the M40, and the M40-A1;
1) The M40-A1 has a re designed ejector
2) The M40-A1 has a Picatinny rail built into the weapon under the barrel
3) There is a new pattern on the grip, (Feels even better IMHO)
4) They stamped -A1 next to the M40 on the frame

That's it, they are exactly the same weapon after that, same trigger, same low bore axis, same angle on the grip, same magazines, etc, etc

For those that are skeptical, that's fine, but do me a favor and at least hold one in your hand, and try the trigger and sights out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have been more specific, Mine is the M40-A1, there are four diferences between the M40, and the M40-A1;
1) The M40-A1 has a re designed ejector
2) The M40-A1 has a Picatinny rail built into the weapon under the barrel
3) There is a new pattern on the grip, (Feels even better IMHO)
4) They stamped -A1 next to the M40 on the frame

That's it, they are exactly the same weapon after that, same trigger, same low bore axis, same angle on the grip, same magazines, etc, etc

For those that are skeptical, that's fine, but do me a favor and at least hold one in your hand, and try the trigger and sights out.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Could you tell me, what does the trigger pull feel like?  Does it feel like a Glock trigger or is it a more traditional DA pull.

Also, some have said this pistol is maintenance intensive, is that true?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a M9 and M40, and love both of them. I've had them for about 5 years, and never had a ptoblem, the sights take some getting used to, but once you get comfortable with them, you will probably like them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Could you tell me, what does the trigger pull feel like?  Does it feel like a Glock trigger or is it a more traditional DA pull.

The Steyr employs a partially "cocked" feature, the trigger is in the 2/3 position, so actually you only have to pull it the last 1/3 to firre it. It isn't really a DA or a SA, but a hybrid of sorts. The trigger is much lighter and crisper than a glock, unless you have modded the glock with an after market trigger. Basicly, it's a double action, that feels like a single, that's the best way I can describe it.

No...not maintenance intensive, though, when they are new, they like to be well lubricated. I just lubed mine with Militec-1, and it feels like a dream. Here is the cleaning, lubing process, takes about 10 min, and I lube mine every 300 to 500 rounds, or after every outing, I'm just anal that way.

www.steyrclub.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=4
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Could you tell me, what does the trigger pull feel like?  

As Guyver1 wrote, it's much better than a Glock trigger. More like a pretty decent SA trigger.

I've put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through mine without cleaning it, and never had any problems because of it. And it's quite easy to field strip and clean if one feels the need to do so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for clearing that up guys.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I think you guys just sold me on a Steyr M40-A1............I held an older Steyr awhile back, and a friend of mine just purchased one, so I think it's my next handgun
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd seen  the M9 and M40s at gun shows, and thought they looked very interesting.  The low axis of bore should help a lot  to reduce muzzle flip.  Sounds like the trigger is pretty nice.  I don't own a Glock or any other plastic polymer pistol, but I've shot my buddy's G19 several times.  Aside from the funky grip angle, and the fat backstrap (bugs my hand), the trigger on a Glock is pretty decent.

I think if I could find an M9 for a good price, I'd have to pick it up!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
One other question...

What is the grip angle like?   More Glock-ish, or 1911-ish?   Personally, I don't like the Glock grip angle.  Doesn't  point naturally for me.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One other question...

What is the grip angle like?   More Glock-ish, or 1911-ish?   Personally, I don't like the Glock grip angle.  Doesn't  point naturally for me.  

I would say more 1911 -ish but you have to feel for yourself. The grip has a 111 degree angle, and it points very well.

The Steyr points much better than the Glock.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One other question...

I would say more 1911 -ish but you have to feel for yourself. The grip has a 111 degree angle, and it points very well.

The Steyr points much better than the Glock.  

Did a little more research on this aspect of the Steyr, and found that Geeks With Guns had a review.  I looked for the actual angle of the 1911 to compare, but the review stated that the 111° grip angle is slighly more than the 1911, but not quite as much as the Glock.  

I'd love to get my hands on a Steyr to see what it feels like.  I remember seeing them at gun shows before, and thinking they were interesting.  The very low axis of bore is what caught my eye... I didn't even notice the sights.  

Now... if I can work more OT to come up with more money...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#19]
The Steyr M series were designed in part by an engineer from Glock named "Bubbits"
Basicaly he approached Glock with improvments and they were not interested. So he
was hired by Steyr to produce the weapons with them.

I think they are the most over looked, best value for any pistol.
They were designed as a 40 - Not a 9mm reamed out to accept a 40.

Fully supported Chambers
One piece CNC machined slides

Over all it feels better in the hand - slighlty slimmer than a glock in the
handle area - since they use steel mags.

Over all the pistol just seems "Beefier" than a Glock
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#20]
My local dealer had one (M40-A1).  I realy like how it fit my hand.  I currently carry a Kimber TLE/RL II on duty and think the grip angle relates better to the 1911 as opposed to the glock.  The sights took a couple of attempts to get used to, but once I brought the gun to bear 6-7 times I had no problem with sight alignment.

The bore seemed lower than the glock.  The grip is more comfortable than the Glock.  The balance is probably equal to a Glock.  The trigger is better than the Glock, but still not a 1911.  

If I had the money the pistol would have gone home with me.  If the popularity increases I may force myself to buy one.  I will probably get one anyway.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top