Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
THose of you that have owned or currently own  both could you do a compare and contrast the .40's for each company for me. I am in a spot that I am ready to buy a Glock 22 to go with my 27 but the XD line has peaked my interest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have liked the XD's since they were the HS2000's but I have been a GLOCK fan longer and never found anything that the XD would do that the GLOCK wouldn't so I never bought one.  

Until yesterday.

I stippled and refinished the slide on a friend's XD45 last week and was EXTREMELY impressed with it.  They have packaged 14 rounds of .45 into a package very comparable to a GLOCK 22.  The GLOCK 45's (excluding the 36) are as big as my wrist in the grip and too large for my hands but the XD is awesome.  I know this isn't applicable to the .40's but I thought I'd share.

Some of the general differences between GLOCK and XD that I've noticed:

Grip angle - The XD's have a grip angle much closer to the 1911 which I feel is almost perfect.  For most, the XD will point more naturally than the GLOCK.

Trigger - The XD trigger does not seem to "stack up" as much as the GLOCKS.  This makes it a little easier to have a smooth trigger pull.

Trigger reset - The XD trigger reset is longer and weaker then the GLOCK.  This could result in an inceased tendency to "short stroke" during rapid fire or under high stress.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either pistol.  Both are very reliable and well made packages.  You could always follow the ARFCOM motto and get both!!

Phylodog
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You forgot to mention one EXTREMELY important difference between the two handguns.

The Glock has a tenifer finish that penetrates the steel.  This is by far the most durable finish in the industry, something to keep in mind if you ever decide to carry that weapon.

As for the width of the larger caliber glocks(10mm/45 auto) the 45 G.A.P. is really a nice handgun, most 1911 purists refuse to even "look" at this cartridge but it is truely an amazing cartridge. I know you are looking at a Glock 22 but just something for those who do not like the wide grip on the larger caliber glocks to consider.

Also, I think   there are just a "few" more aftermarket add-ons to accessorize your glock, these include:
-trigger modifications(shorten/lighten/etc.)
-extended modifications(slide release/magazine release/takedown bar)
-magazine (extensions)
-barrels(drop-in replacement barrel/compensated barrels/lengthened barrels)
-sights(night sights/competition sights)
-holsters(IWB/OWB/paddle/etc.)

Just take a look around your gun shop the next time you are in. Being an owner of glocks and other guns I can find almost anything I need for my glocks,other handguns I have to "special order" or buy parts from the manufacturer.

Just some things to think about!

edited to add: Honestly I think you answered your own question already as well. You own a G27, you are probably used to the trigger and grip angle. Obviously you dont mind those features unique to Glock.

Most likely if you go with the XD....you will end up selling the G27 or the XD, you will not be able to own both and not have the thought of selling one or the other in the back of your head.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i have an xd-40 and a glock 35 (longer slide than g22).

the xd:
recoils a lot harder than any of my other 40's.
is slower to get back on target than glock.
trigger is barely acceptable.
- trigger tends to slap my finger or something - not sure what that's about.
grip safety is actually annoying (i thought i'd prefer it - i don't). very noticeable under recoil
is less expensive.
only has 12 round mag cap, and when the springs are fairly fresh, its all but impossible to load all 12.
has magazines readily available for not much money, and they are not plastic.
has better sights than glock.

the glock:
has the mag release in a bad spot or configuration or something - my weak-hand thumb rides it.
has mags readily available for not much money - but they are plastic.
has one of the better triggers for this type of gun - but the trigger safety is quite strange to get used to.
the short reset is very noticeable, and the cyclic rate of a glock w/ me firing has got to be twice as fast as me firing an xd.
spits out glocked brass, which is disconcerting to a handloader, but so far no issues.
aftermarket support has got to be second only to 1911's.
has a plastic guide rod.
guide rod has a captive spring, which is kinda nice.

overall... i don't know what exactly people are talking about the fit of the gun. i close my eyes, pick up either gun, and open my eyes and i see the sights are level, and pointing a little to the left - w/ both guns. i do notice that i naturally grip the glock very high - which is most comfy to me. the xd doesn't give me the 'naturally high' grip, but it does give me a comfortable grip.

if money wasn't much of a factor, i'd go w/ glock, based mostly on comfort of actual shooting (recoil, trigger slap, and grip safety).
if money was a huge part of the equation, i'd go xd and be confident in knowing i had a good weapon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had extensive use of each weapon in both 9mm and 40sw. In compacts and regular service pistols. I currently own an XD 9mm and .40, both with the four inch barrels, and a really old G17.

Glocks

Luger angle grip, personally you need to hold each, and decide.
Like stated earlier, mag catch is sort of difficult, but certainly manageable.
Personally I love "ball in the bucket" sights, they just pick up well for me.
The only thing I don't like about Glocks is all the plastic, mags and certain parts just don't seem like they should be plastic. However, this glock I own now I beat around, and don't really clean. I like being mean to it, yet it still bangs away, and I haven't lost a hand yet.

XDs

1911 grip is very comfortable to me, but like I said hold both.
Stainless factory mags are awesome, but the springs need a little break in or get a mag loader.
3 dot sights are ok, not my favorite, but they get the job done.
Grip safety makes it difficult to discharge the weapon when your grip is not optimal, so grip it tight
In the .40s I do feel a little more muzzle rise in the XD, but with practice you can get the sights to come back down for an accurate double tap, (sorry must be P.C. "controlled pairs")
Also if your are an accessorizor, there is little out there, but it is getting better.
Blackhawk SERPA holsters are frickin awesome with XDs.

My XDs I baby not because they are fragile, but because I enjoy them. However, I just can't give up the different feel and look of the Glock, so I keep one for nostalgia.

Either way these two manufacters, have developed two decent firearms, each I would stake my life on.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I owned a G23 for several years and tried hard to like it, but the combination of many ergonomic flaws coupled with the harsh recoil of the .40 Glocks conspired against me.

I took it to a training class and quickly realized that it was going to either wear a blister on my trigger finger or beat my thumb knuckle into pieces.  I chose "blister on finger".   Hated the finger grooves too.  It was accurate enough and fairly reliable but I got rid of it as soon as I could.

When I got an XD40 it was a whole new ball game.  It's much more comfortable for me to shoot, and within about three months of buying it, I won my division in the Springfield Action Pistol Challenge with it.

Now I have three XD40s and only second generation G19 and G17s remain in my collection and are rarely shot.

The only thing that makes the XD fall short of perfect for me is that the finish is more susceptible to wear than a Glock's.  But that doesn't even bother me since I do hot bluing and polymer refinishing as a hobby, and I actually like the look of guns with finish wear.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing nobody mentioned about the XD that is my biggest complaint is that the rear lug for the silde is made of plastic, that's right plastic that the metal slide rides on.  Seems to me that over time that is going to wear out and accuracy will surely suffer.  If I would have known that I would not have sold my Glock 23 and bought an XD even though I disliked the grip on the Glock and the trigger compared to the XD.  You live and learn!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One thing nobody mentioned about the XD that is my biggest complaint is that the rear lug for the silde is made of plastic, that's right plastic that the metal slide rides on.  Seems to me that over time that is going to wear out and accuracy will surely suffer.  If I would have known that I would not have sold my Glock 23 and bought an XD even though I disliked the grip on the Glock and the trigger compared to the XD.  You live and learn!

Techncially there are no rear slide rails for the XD.  The bearing surface / guide rail is the locking block.  The rear of the frame contacts the slide but it does not retain or guide the slide.   It shouldn't suffer any undue wear, and if it does, it won't make any difference anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info guys, it helps a lot! Do the mags for the fullsize interchnage with the subcompact XD's like the glocks do?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
yes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Man, you are just going to have to handle and shoot both, then decide.

Personally, I like my XD much better then any Glock. The grip just fights my hand so much better and I like the sites better. Recoil is a bit more in the .40, but I barely notice it. One thing, as others have mentioned, the finish does suck on the XD.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I am making a similar decision between an XD9 and a G19. I have a G22 and like it a lot, but I have am always a fan of variety. I played with the XD9 a bit today and was surprised at how heavy it felt. The specs show it as only a few ounces more than the G19, but the Glock feels a lot lighter. I didnt like the trigger reset on the XD, although the break for the disconnector was more crisp than the Glock...one of those personal preference things that you need to feel yourself.

Unless the price cant be beat, at this point, I am leaning toward the G19 over the XD.
Regarding the G22.....mine is a work horse....I have no issues with it. The .40S&W is a great defense round....but after a long day of drills you will feel it in your wrist. It took a long time for me to get comfortable with the Glock trigger...once I did it was like I figured out a puzzle. I swear by the 'point and shoot' function of the Glock.

All this said....I was a late late late comer to the plastic gun game. For years I swore they were a sacrillege....I never understood how someone could own a gun with plastic parts...I swore by 1911's, Berrettas, and revolvers....heavy steel tools. It took me many years to come around...but now I am aonther Glock convert...I love the damn thing. It is basically indestructible within reason. Simple yet perfect design....just plain one of those guns that everyone needs at least one of in their safe. I will probably up that to two in the very near future.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the G19... that's the best gun Glock makes and one of the best pistols of all time IMO.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get the G19... that's the best gun Glock makes and one of the best pistols of all time IMO.

Considering your username and avatar, that is quite an endorsement
I have a 'feeling' that one will follow me home in the very near future.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering your username and avatar, that is quite an endorsement
I have a 'feeling' that one will follow me home in the very near future.

That's for sure.  A good gun is a good gun, and I'll give the G19 its due.  I love the 1911 and my Wilson is my favorite gun of all time, but the G19 is a very close second.  A $2000 pistol vs a $500 pistol.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I have played with the XD, and felt absolutely no urge to buy it. I'm turned off by the pistol.

The Glock on the other hand, does not trip my switches either. I bought a Glock 17, because I got a damn good deal on it and for the sole purpose of diversity. I'm a 1911 guy too, but it looks like I'm going to be issued a Glock 21 when I finally get to be an honest-to-God deputy sheriff, so I might as well get used to the damn thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top