Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:10:30 AM EDT
I have a walther P22 my dad got me for x-mas. Great little gun and fun to shoot, but as far as reliability ( Like a survival pack gun or similar situation) I wouldnt trust it. Mant FTF's and stove pipes after 1 or 2 magazines. I've heard a lot of good stuf about the browning buck mark and they do look better than the ruger but I havnt had a chance to shoot either of them. Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks in advance for the info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger 22/45

got one recently, over 500rnd through her (mix of federals, remingtons, CCIs, wolf), NO malfunctions or cleaning so far

browning buckmarks are also nice
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I really liked the Smith and wesson and Colt Woodsman, but I have a Ruger MKII now and I can't answer the question yet.  

Hard to say, lots of good competition there.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Ruger MkII.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 22/45 and it's a decent gun but if I had it to do over I'd buy a buckmark.   If legal in your area there's no reason not to buy a suppressor and the buckmark is the better platform for a screw on suppressor.  

You may not see the utility of it right now but if you can shoot with a suppressor on you'll wonder why you didnt buy one earlier.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger MKII
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
another vote here for the Ruger Mark II
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
no idea about the ruger mkii but my mkiii is great.  i had a bunch of stopages in my first 300 rounds.  but in the next 550 i had 2.  that seems pretty good for a .22lr with cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a UK shooter who had a nice set of pistols before the great ban

Favorite semi auto

S&W Model 41 ...a right tack driver

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger MkII

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Hold a Ruger & then hold a Buckmark. You'll buy the Buckmark.

Actually, the best .22 is a S&W 41, but they're $700 or so.    
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
It is always a strange way to start a post what is the BEST xxxx

Best for what ?

Of the Guns I have, the 'best' ie. reliable and most accurate. is a FEINWERKBAU AW 93

www.feinwerkbau.de/

A more practical compromise is my Smith & Wesson Model 41 with a 5 1/2 Barrel
It a tad heavy, and a bit funny with ammo, doesn't like swapping around. I have an ammo it likes and never shoot anything else.

www.smith-wesson.com

But if someone wanted an all purpose general, Ok at all tasks master of none, then I'd say get the Buckmark or Ruger Mkii (what ever suits)
These are the two best, reasonably priced, compromise pistols. Not the BEST, but most likely the BEST FOR YOU.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a walther P22 my dad got me for x-mas. Great little gun and fun to shoot, but as far as reliability ( Like a survival pack gun or similar situation) I wouldnt trust it. Mant FTF's and stove pipes after 1 or 2 magazines. I've heard a lot of good stuf about the browning buck mark and they do look better than the ruger but I havnt had a chance to shoot either of them. Just wondering what you guys thought. Thanks in advance for the info.

First off, find the brand and load of ammo that your P22 likes.  Mine is 100% reliable with Winchester Super-X and CCI Mini-Mags.  Stay away from hyper-velocity loads.

That said, if  you still want another pistol for more bulls-eye type shooting, check out the Browning, Smith, and SIG lines.  In the experience of my friends and acquaintances, Ruger .22 auto loading pistols are not reliable; I would only get one if it were a REALLY good deal.  Also, be on the lookout for a good, original High Standard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the High Standard, this was the pistol I grew up shooting.  Can't remember it ever jamming.  I think the Marines used to use them for training way back in the day.  The most accurate pistol I ever shot (Model B).  It is kind of ugly though in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 on the High Standard, this was the pistol I grew up shooting.  Can't remember it ever jamming.  I think the Marines used to use them for training way back in the day.  The most accurate pistol I ever shot (Model B).  It is kind of ugly though in my opinion.

+!

High Standard Sport King 103 owner calling in.  It feels like sex in a handgun. The action is smooth as glass and it hits what it is pointed at.  Amazing company and very inovative http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH26-E.HTM was them.  It saddens me they went under.  I have not shot one made by the company who bought them, but hope they kept up the quality.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a 22/45 and it's a decent gun but if I had it to do over I'd buy a buckmark.   If legal in your area there's no reason not to buy a suppressor and the buckmark is the better platform for a screw on suppressor.  

You may not see the utility of it right now but if you can shoot with a suppressor on you'll wonder why you didnt buy one earlier.

GO TACTICAL!

I just sold my Buckmark. I will most likely be picking one up again with a Tac Solutions barrel.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had Ruger 22/45's for years.  I got a buckmark about a month ago.  I like the buckmark better, but the ruger is a good gun too and which ever you can get a deal on is the one to get.  Try both if you can.  Or just buy both now.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Ruger Mark III.

Extremely reliable and drops magazines like a grown up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ruger Mark III.

Extremely reliable and drops magazines like a grown up.

+1.  as i learned recently you have to let the rugers break in and find the ammo they like best.  after more than a dozen stoppages in the first 300 rounds i had 2 in the next 550.  and for a plinking .22lr i was fine with that.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I happen to like my Hammerli 208S.  With Eley Tenex mine runs .33" at 25 yds and under 3/4" at 50 yds for 10 shot groups, CCI standard velocity works for practice.  I shoot it once or twice a week for league and practice and one match a month, pretty much year round.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hold a Ruger & then hold a Buckmark. You'll buy the Buckmark.

Actually, the best .22 is a S&W 41, but they're $700 or so.    

I have to agree 100% here. I REALLY like the S&W 41 but a bit too expensive for an everyday shooter.
Buy a Browning Buckmark and you will never regret it. I've owned three different models and all were great shooters and will digest anything out there.
I've owned a Ruger MI, a MarkII and a MIII. Sold all of them through the years because I prefer the Buckmark. It is the only .22LR pistol that I own now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Reliability & .22LR don't mix...

I can't count how many .22 DUDS I've run into - I'm talking about rounds that I have attempted to fire 3-4 times, the rim is covered with smash-marks, and still no BANG...

Sorry, but reliable -> centerfire, IMHO....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't count how many .22 DUDS I've run into - I'm talking about rounds that I have attempted to fire 3-4 times, the rim is covered with smash-marks, and still no BANG...

Absolutely, NO rimfire for self protection. Too unreliable! For fun plinking, get a Buckmark to shoot any .22LR ammo out there. This gentleman is "Right On" here.

Self protection... centerfire only!  .380 or better!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#23]
what about the beretta neos

i have one, it is a good gun, with a small price tag  put more that 1500 rounds through it, and not a singular fte or ftf

i know it is the ugliest little pistol in the room but it does handle pretty good.

jmho
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]

I have a 22/45 and it's a decent gun but if I had it to do over I'd buy a buckmark. If legal in your area there's no reason not to buy a suppressor and the buckmark is the better platform for a screw on suppressor.

Yeah, I would realy like to get a supressor but I dont have the funds for it yet. Soon hopefuly.

It is always a strange way to start a post what is the BEST xxxx

Best for what ?

sorry for being so vauge (SP?). I ment just a plinker, maybe a pack gun for wilderness survival. I do like the S&W though.

First off, find the brand and load of ammo that your P22 likes. Mine is 100% reliable with Winchester Super-X and CCI Mini-Mags. Stay away from hyper-velocity loads.

I have been trying that. So far I have tried CCI mini mags, stingers, and velociters, Federal 550 rand. bulk packs, and remington. Dont have winner yet.

Yeah, I know. I ment the reliability of the firearm though, ammunition withstanding.

Absolutely, NO rimfire for self protection.

I absolutely agree 110%. Thats what I got my kinber .45acp for. Im just looking for something I can shoot without havining to pull the slide back every other round because of a misfeed.

ETA: sory for all the quotes, I couldnt get online there for a couple of days. Thanks for all the info to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Whenever I get all the other more important guns purchased, I'm gonna get a Browning Buckmark 5.5 Field.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got a P-22. Fun little gun, not the most reliable, but it looks bad ass. If you're looking for a reliable .22 pistol i would probably go with the buckmark, my dad has one and it works good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my ruger, tore it apart, changed a bunch of parts, drilled some holes in it [I'm in process of attempting a mKIII mag catch mod] and so far I like it quite a bit.  Not a fan of the grip angle but  I like working on it.  HAHA.  

The bolt release is a little stiff.

The sights shine a little too much (rear), and I'ld rather see a forward sloping front sight serrated for glare than the rearward hooked sight that accomplishes the same thing but snags--  other than that I can't gig it badly.

The magazine base is widened by that plastic thing that makes it look "lugeresque" and that's not so hot but the mag is a good design and easy to dissassemble, and there is a mag loader for it, as well as a thumbsaver if you don't want the loader or need a smaller loading aid.  

The majestic speed strip kit is magnificent.  I love it.

The Volquartsen trigger and sear combined with a majestic hammer with [my personally (it comes with like .030] lowered .018inch sear engagement  produces a pretty decent trigger pull, not that the original was horrible or anything.  

The MKII mag release isn't as bad as I thought it would be, I had experience with the MKI and the MkII has the mag folower helping aid in magazine removal where the MKI doesn't.  In retrospect I wouldn't have attempted the MKIII conversion if I had known that before I jumped in.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#29]
if you want 100% reliability, blow-off the autoloaders and get a revolver. . .like a Ruger Single-six with a spare cylinder for .22mag
Mine is a tack driver and has a decent trigger... thousands of rounds without a failure
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Browning Medalist
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
if you want 100% reliability, blow-off the autoloaders and get a revolver. . .like a Ruger Single-six with a spare cylinder for .22mag
Mine is a tack driver and has a decent trigger... thousands of rounds without a failure

+1 on the revolver for reliability, but I was thinking more along the lines of a NAA Mini.  I picked up a magnum framed convertible (also came with the lr cylinder) the other day and am enjoying the heck out of it.  The Magnum framed version allows for a more secure grip, but you can plink accurately out to about 10 yards with .22lr ammo all day long for just a few bucks.  It's also a great conversation piece at the range.  Sure the .45 guys may scoff at the diminuitive size, but let one of them shoot it and see how big their grin is.  

As for reliability, you'll get the occasional dud from any rimfire ammo from any gun, but instead of having to rack the slide of a semi-auto when you're being attacked by a rabid skunk out on the trail, all you got to do is recock the hammer and let the lead fly at the foul feline.

These little revolvers just ooze with quality; no pot metal here, brother.  Just nicely finished stainless steel.  There's also lots of variations to suit any fancy.  If your main goal is a nice plinker, go with the Mini-Master or the Black Widow.  If you want a pocket BUG that's impossible to spot, and that could put a hurtin' on a BG in a last ditch survival effort, or the aforementioned rabid skunk out on the trail, go with the mini-mag.  Don't know when I would recommend the plain .22lr version or the .22 short, but maybe there's someone out there that could find one of these tiny guns useful.  I find the magnum framed mini in a KC Custom Gunleather pocket holster not only invisible, but pretty comforting when loaded with Winchester Super X hollow point magnums and paired with my XD-9 Subcompact.

My .02.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#32]
As much as I hate to give money to Ruger their MKII and 22/45 pistols are hard to beat.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top