Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 5:50:23 PM EDT
So i'm new to handguns.  just got my first, sig 226 in 40S&W, the other week.  this may be a retarded question but i was wondering if anyone can tell me what the grooves on the front part of the trigger guard are for?  i see them on certain handguns and it seems like it's there for grip for the weakhand index finger.  however, i've never seen anyone hold a handgun in that fashion.  is this what they are for or am i totally off?  thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
insight x2 laser light combo
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So i'm new to handguns.  just got my first, sig 226 in 40S&W, the other week.  this may be a retarded question but i was wondering if anyone can tell me what the grooves on the front part of the trigger guard are for?  i see them on certain handguns and it seems like it's there for grip for the weakhand index finger.  however, i've never seen anyone hold a handgun in that fashion.  is this what they are for or am i totally off?  thanks.

If you mean the front grooves like on the trigger guard in the pic ( Best I have to show them)... Your correct...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I never use them, and I have big hands. *shrug*

(Front of a USP triggerguard)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
"Finger - forward" was popular with the gunracers about a decade ago. Don't see many doing it these days, though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
yep those pics are what i was talking about.  i just found it odd cause i've never seen anyone use it and it feels very akward and feels like having less control when puting the index finger there.  anyways, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yep those pics are what i was talking about.  i just found it odd cause i've never seen anyone use it and it feels very akward and feels like having less control when puting the index finger there.  anyways, thanks guys.

When you use a PROPER Two hand hold  (Hand clasps Hand) , your off hand Index finger
will be in front of and level with your trigger finger.

This just Happens to be where the grooves or checkering are on the front of the trigger guard.

Amazing . isn't it?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Finger - forward" was popular with the gunracers about a decade ago. Don't see many doing it these days, though.

+1
Not used...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When you use a PROPER Two hand hold  (Hand clasps Hand) , your off hand Index finger
will be in front of and level with your trigger finger.

This just Happens to be where the grooves or checkering are on the front of the trigger guard.

Amazing . isn't it?  

'Proper'? I really doubt that any modern source teaches that hold anymore. Reading through the USMC Pistol Marksmanship manual, they don't even mention it. The front of the triggerguard gets various utilitarian uses, but nothing to do with gripping.

Come on. Put away those bell-bottoms and stop wrapping your index finger in front of the trigger guard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top