Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 3:13:46 PM EDT
I'm an Iowa resident currently displaced in NE (Offutt AFB).  I'm getting my Iowa CCW, and am looking for a .40 for that purpose (obviously not carrying daily, but shooting regularly and carrying anytime i'm in iowa or any other state that honors the permit).

KY Imports has the USP .40 Compact with night sights for $489 (used, VG Cond.).  I know a few guys who've ordered and their pistols are in fantastic shape.

CDNN has the Sig p229's for $389 with night sights.  I also know several who've ordered from here and had excellent results.

The XD can be had for around $450 from my FFL (on-base rod and gun club).

As I've said, i've fired all three--actually numerous pistols in .40, but these are my three to which i've narrowed down.  I'd be happy with all three, but hey--let's let the arfcom feeding frenzy begin.

Please, no hardcore bashing just because it's one brand or the other.  Let's keep it to as much real-world, personal experience as possible.  No tactikull stuff necessary.  It will probably double as my bedside shooter, but other than that and CCW it'll be with me every time i go to the range.

Discuss.  And be nice.  

PS--no "get all three!" either; i'm still junior enlisted and i'm lucky my wife's letting me get ONE.    I'd probably have to build her yet ANOTHER purple AK before she'd let me get more than one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my XD. No experience with Sig or Hk so I can't speak for them. But those are good prices for fairly expensive guns.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the HK or the Sig.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
H&K's are nice. I really enjoyed my USP Compact 9mm and carried it for a month or two. However i switched over to an XD sub compact. The XD line is a really good fit for my hand, so personally i'd go with the XD.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
for what you are describing, the sig is the hands-down choice.
my sig is softer recoiling than my xd-40 (by a long ways), so that alone would make for more pleasant range sessions. it is heavier, but not uncomfortable to carry (my 229 is my daily carry piece - in fact, have it on right now).

i have never had a single failure w/ my sig. not one. i have managed to get an xd to choke a couple times (and a glock to choke once).

the sig is more comfortable than either.

accuracy is a wash... at 25 yards slow fire all 3 shoot about the same. in rapid fire, the xd seems to have a very slight edge.

sig magazines are more expensive and harder to find. xd mags are nearly impossible to get all 12 into, but at least they are readily available for $20-ish. h&k mags are impossible to find (locally, anyway).

no bad choices here, but i think the best choice is the sig 229.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
well, i dropped by the shop this evening and it's now a toss-up between the XD and the USP.

the sig just for some reason didn't feel right to me, and the lack of a rail didn't help it out in the "bedside gun" department (rail = light attached = free hand for whatever necessary).

both seem to fit my hand really well, and the USP doesn't come with any mags from KY Imports; local mag selection is actually on the good side, as well as all over gunbroker.  the XD would be spankin' new and have 2 mags included.  both seem to be about the same dimensions, at least as far as carry would go, with the USP being a bit lighter weight (at least in feel to me) when empty.  the action on the USP was much much better to this SrA than on the XD, but that's not to talk down the XD at all.

does anyone know what the barrel selection is like if i needed to replace the barrel down the road?  since it is a used gun, i suppose i should prepare for the worst just in case, ya know?  

grr.  i hate making tough decisions.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Slightly off topic....

As far as the XD mags and loading all 12 rounds. Load em up and let em sit. I left mine like that for about 2 weeks and it did help. Of course you could just get a mag loader, load and unload over and over again and it probably get same results.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I think i'm starting to lean toward the XD for now.  Being that it already comes with mags, I know it's factory new so the history on the firearm hasn't started yet, and i'm very familiar with the XD platform, plus the recoil seemed a bit tamer in the XD than with the USP when i shot them.

I have no doubts that i'll also be owning a USP, probably later this year.  But I'm just a smidge more confident with the XD, and that's the biggest criterion right there.

thanks to all who emailed and PM'ed their experiences as well.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Get the Sig or HK.  Currently own 2 Sigs and have owned an HK & XD in the past.  The only handgun that I've regretted selling to date is the HK.  I still kick myself over that.  I sold the XD and never looked back.  I just wasn't a big fan of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Add a poll.

I like the XD's and HK's Ive shot, they were fine shooters, but the Sig229 my buddy has just stole my heart. Try it, you might just fall in love.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#11]
no need for a poll.  i already made up my mind.  

(it's posted a few spots up too)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you try the Sig Pro 2022 ?
It is in the same polymer type pistol as the USP and XD.  This pistol has a good price for a Sig and feels good in my hand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#13]
USP. It has excellent controls, including an ambi mag release, cocked and locked carry, and large slide release. The magazines shoot out of the gun when released - no jiggling required, for fast mag changes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
no need for a poll.  i already made up my mind.  

(it's posted a few spots up too)

Sorry, Ill remove that egg from my face so I can see better next time.

You should love the XD, I was impressed with the one I shot. Its the Croation sensation!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#15]
hehe don't sweat it.  you're far from the only arfcommer to not read every post in a thread.  lord knows i've done it plenty too.

i was kinda naughty though.  i told the FFL to order both a new XD and one of the used USP's.  whichever one i like more i'm getting first, and he'll hold on to the other for me for whenever

my ffl is a nice gent.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You can't go wrong with the XD but you will love the HK more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
my ffl is a nice gent.

Sounds like it! When you find a nice FFL, hang on to him!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
It all depends on the individual.  When I was looking for a 9mm, i went with the XD because it had everything i was looking for, felt great in my hand, and was cheaper than the SIG.  The USP wasn't even in the running, it just felt clunky and awkward to me.  I like my XD a lot, but at the prices you've quoted, I'd have gone with the p229.

p229>XD>USP
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]

P229.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had experiance with the glock23, usp40, 229,and XD. In my time spent learning and gaining information and experimentation I would honestly say 229. I bieleve them to be the best avalible for under $1000 you can get a nice cdnn 229 for fairly cheap and it will come with one full capacity (12rds) and they sell extras for $22
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a P229 .40S&W and I couldn't be happier. So, obviously, I'd pick the P229!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#23]
indecisive prick that i am, the USP will be first and then a pair of CDNN's 229's with the stainless barrels will come later in the summer.  

thanks again for all the input kids.  definitely appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Good choice on USP.  Also try out Glock 19, this may be superior to USPc, but I'm open to experimentation myself.

Quoted:
indecisive prick that i am, the USP will be first and then a pair of CDNN's 229's with the stainless barrels will come later in the summer.  

thanks again for all the input kids.  definitely appreciate it.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#25]
i've already tried glocks and the ergonomics just aren't right for me.  they're great handguns, don't get me wrong about that.  hell of a reliability history.  for some reason they just don't point naturally for me like others do.

methinks i'll enjoy that USPc though.  April can't get here soon enough now.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#26]
HK or Sig pick what ever feels best in your hand...and go for it...i'm not a big XD fan.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Pick what feels comfortable to you but out of that group I like the H&K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top