Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
I... I don't know how to put this. Those of you with weak hearts may want to leave now.

My... Glock jammed today. :(

I'm trying to remain cool but this is a really emotional event for me. I'm approaching roughly 3000 rounds through my Glock 17 and this is the first time it has ever happened. I was rapid-firing an entire magazine of 17 rounds and about two-thirds through the magazine a spent round got stuck in the slide... I think it's what you call a stove pipe (except it was lying horizontal instead of looking like a chimney). I'm guessing the round didn't eject properly... it may have been that the particular round of WWB 9mm FMJ was flawed or perhaps in the fury of blazing through a magazine I limp wristed it. I easily took the spent brass out and continued firing with no problems. I shot about 300 rounds through the gun today and it only happened once.

I think I'll get through this. I'll join the Glock-jammed-anonymous support group and try to put this nightmare behind me.

If you guys want to offer any insight or your own stories it would make my pain a little easier to bear.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
When my Glock jammed, I was depressed for a month and had to be on Zoloft.  I suggest you seek professional treatment and try to stay positive...

ETA: and don't eat too much garbage food.  Eating disorder is the most common side effect of a Glock jam.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Pff, my Glock jams all the time. Every few rounds. Bam Stovepipe, sometimes a double feed, sometimes a Failure to feed.

Then again, I load in empty shells in my mag all the time for failure drills.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
well if it jams you just beat them to death with it
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My Glock 20 jammed on my once.  It was after about 200 rounds and I think my hands and arms limp wristed on purpose to get a break.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well at 3000rds do you need some new springs?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well at 3000rds do you need some new springs?

I honestly don't know. How would I be able to tell if I need new springs? Besides, I think the ejection doesn't really depend on spring force. The slide slams back from the recoil ejection the round. Then the spring slams it forward. If the gun didn't chamber the round from the magazine correctly then maybe it would be a spring issue. But I honestly don't know. What do you guys think? Limp wrist fluke or possible spring issue? Once in 3000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The entire operating cycle of an auto pistol depends on those springs.
They control how the slide decelerates allowing the fired case to eject, and then how quickly the slide closes with a new cartridge.
A weakened spring can allow the slide to travel to quickly rearward resulting in the front edge of the ejection port striking the case as it tries to exit.  This can result in all sorts of funny things, including the case being thrown back into the breech area.
The next round will move into the top position under the magazine lips to early since the slide cleared.
Now both are trying to occupy the same space.
As the slide starts back forward it will move slower than desired.
Since it has less momentum, when it encounters the rear edge of the cartridge in the magazine it may loose enough energy it cannot return to full battery.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top