Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 10:15:53 AM EDT
Ayoob always raves about his departments Ruger P90 45 cal handguns.

Seeing as the P345 is basically an update of that, would you recommend buying one?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I think Ruger is better than most at a much better price.  I have had a P95 since 1993 and It has never failed me.  The Ruger is in the safe next to, Hks, Kimbers, Walthers,Colts, Glocks,        Ed Brown and out of all the handguns I have had the Ruger is in the top three.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Ayoob's articles and his books. He does a VERY good job of stressing proper shooting techniques and less about which gun is better.

He shoots:
1911s
HK
Kahr
SIG
S&W Autos and Revolvers
Walther
Glock
Ruger

And he is a good shot with any handgun. He shoots his Ruger as well as a high end 1911.

Ruger makes good handguns, and they are less expensive than a SIG, HK or 1911. They did improve the P345 over the older models. The grip is a lot better, I was never a fan of the older Ruger grip angle.

I can't say that I would ever buy a Ruger P345, but my local gun shop sells a bunch of them.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
a lot of people have been having problems with the p345.  most are due to people forgetting that there is a magazine disconnect and they dry fire the thing all to hell and then it won't fire for real.  just remember to have a mag in when you are playing with snap caps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I jsut read about the dry firing thing and not interested.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to question a gun writer's choice, but I rarely, if ever, see a Ruger at an IDPA/IPSC/3 Gun match. That tells me something, I'm just not sure what?????????    

I'm on record as not being a fan of Rugers in any of their semi's.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to question a gun writer's choice, but I rarely, if ever, see a Ruger at an IDPA/IPSC/3 Gun match. That tells me something, I'm just not sure what?????????

It should tell you 2 things. First, that you don't shoot with me.

Second, that the Rugers are universally ignored, wrongly, as a bad design by competitors. Why that is? I haven't a fucking clue. They're reliable, accurate enough, cheap and shoot well.

I shot IDPA with a P89 for a good long time, and did very well. I never felt handicapped by my choice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:36:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

one guy i met at a range said that he had never tried a ruger because they don't look high speed nor are they used by the military or a lot of police forces.  and he had never found anybody who tuned them.  i suppose that becuase they are inexpensive that might have something to do with it--who would dare compete with such a low priced pistol.  

chapperjoe:  are you no longer interested because you have to be careful when you want to dry fire?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#8]
They are huge.  That is really the only thing that anyone trying to find a carry gun needs to know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Gunwriters (IMHO) always seem to gush about the particular handgun/rifle/pistol that they are PAID to write about.  One never seems to read an unbiased, objective article anymore. The gun rags are advertisements in a magazine format to me.  Not that I don't enjoy perusing them every once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

one guy i met at a range said that he had never tried a ruger because they don't look high speed nor are they used by the military or a lot of police forces.  and he had never found anybody who tuned them.  i suppose that becuase they are inexpensive that might have something to do with it--who would dare compete with such a low priced pistol.  

chapperjoe:  are you no longer interested because you have to be careful when you want to dry fire?

it has nothing to do with being careful.  In this age of a bajillion 45's to choose from, I don't want a gun that has 'an issue' no matter what it is.  

My choices are still XD 45acp tactical and HK USP tactical.  Ruger was an idea that popped in my head that has since been removed due to 'the issue'.

When I talk to others about my other two choices no 'issues' come up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Ruger makes some great guns, the 10-22 and the Mk series of pistols, as well as their SP and GP revolvers.

However, I have shot and been around quite a few of the P series of pistols and I'm not impressed at all. Bulkly, clunky and many have been unreliable bordering on unsafe.

I have personally seen 2 discharge when the safety was activated. Both times they where different guns, from different Corrections Officers, when I was working in a county jail.

I handled a new P345 at the last big gunshow and again I was un-impressed.

There are many more better, but more expensive, .45acp's out there that I would buy.

Not to mention that when Bill Ruger was alive that he sold gun owners down the river on not supporting people being able to buy hi-cap mags.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ruger makes some great guns, the 10-22 and the Mk series of pistols, as well as their SP and GP revolvers.

However, I have shot and been around quite a few of the P series of pistols and I'm not impressed at all. Bulkly, clunky and many have been unreliable bordering on unsafe.

i am going to say right now that i am biased and i love my ruger p95d.  having spent a reasonable amount of time with my fingers wrapped around a sig p226 and p220 i can say that the rugers are no bulkier or clunkier than those.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have personally seen 2 discharge when the safety was activated. Both times they where different guns, from different Corrections Officers, when I was working in a county jail.

I have never heard of safety related discharges with the P-series, but I also wouldn't carry one....I prefer the decockers myself. Safeties are unnecessary with a DA pistol, IMHO.

Ergonomics are an individual thing, but no P-series is larger in the hand than any of the other double-stack service autos I've shot, namely the 92, 226, Glock 17, etc. It's got more mass on the top of the frame, but that doesn't affect it's handling.

I have 15,000+ rounds in my P89, and over 10,000 on a P90, without any failures of any kind, ever. Not one. I would trust my life to a P-series in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never heard of safety related discharges with the P-series, but I also wouldn't carry one....I prefer the decockers myself. Safeties are unnecessary with a DA pistol, IMHO.

Ergonomics are an individual thing, but no P-series is larger in the hand than any of the other double-stack service autos I've shot, namely the 92, 226, Glock 17, etc. It's got more mass on the top of the frame, but that doesn't affect it's handling.

I have 15,000+ rounds in my P89, and over 10,000 on a P90, without any failures of any kind, ever. Not one. I would trust my life to a P-series in a heartbeat.

And like every thing else posted here, there are those that like'em and those that don't. There are those that have had positives and those that have had negitives.

If they work for you, great. I would not own one, based solry on what I   saw happen on a range.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no saftey issues with any Ruger P-series.  They are some of the best handguns for the money on the market today.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I saw one, and it was a jammomatic.

Rimfire rugers ONLY for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I own a Ruger P345 and yes I would recomend it. So far it has been more reliable out of the box than my SA loaded 1911 or my Sig 220 or my SA XD .45 and my CZ97B and my Ruger is not picky with ammo. Its accuracy at 12yrds is as good as any thing I have except my CZ 97B which is the most accurate .45 I have. My Ruger P345 has the most comfortable grip out of all my .45s as well and it is my dedicated carry pistol at this point. The only reason you do not see more of them in comatitions in my opinion is they are single stack and to many guys are to concerned whith what every body else thinks about what pistol they have. So I can tell you mine has been fantastic at least. The recoil system on it works great as well. Just make sure you do not dry fire it without the mag in like the manual says and you are good to go. Just my Two Cents.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I own a Ruger P345 and yes I would recomend it. So far it has been more reliable out of the box than my SA loaded 1911 or my Sig 220 or my SA XD .45 and my CZ97B and my Ruger is not picky with ammo. Its accuracy at 12yrds is as good as any thing I have except my CZ 97B which is the most accurate .45 I have. My Ruger P345 has the most comfortable grip out of all my .45s as well and it is my dedicated carry pistol at this point. The only reason you do not see more of them in comatitions in my opinion is they are single stack and to many guys are to concerned whith what every body else thinks about what pistol they have. So I can tell you mine has been fantastic at least. The recoil system on it works great as well. Just make sure you do not dry fire it without the mag in like the manual says and you are good to go. Just my Two Cents.

thanks for the write up!

The single stack would be a plus to me!  I was always intrigued by the CZ97.  There's no reason why it can't be the most accurate 45 out there period.  A liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'l, and I mean just a smidge, to big a grip for me.  it's a darn shame.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There is no saftey issues with any Ruger P-series.  They are some of the best handguns for the money on the market today.

The 2 I had the displeasure to share range time with had safety issues. Flip the safety and BOOM, the gun went off.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 2 I had the displeasure to share range time with had safety issues. Flip the safety and BOOM, the gun went off.

just get a decocker version and avoid any issues with safeties.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just get a decocker version and avoid any issues with safeties.

Oh I'll never own one..never have and never will. Those guns were other peoples problems.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I have shot a Ruger GP100, and it is one of the most comfortable guns that I've shot.  I would buy one, but the problem, is that it is easier to resell a S&W, Colt etc.  And part of my guns I buy for "investment" purposes.  As an example, my 6" brushed SS Colt Python, I paid $750 out the door back in 1986, I could easily get that back IF I sold it today.

The only problem I see with the Rugers pistols, is my friend had an early P85 in 9mm Para, and when you pull the trigger back in DA in a certain way, the darn thing wouldn't fire, I couldn't believe it.  I only shot once with the man, because soon after than he left my old company.  Hopefully Ruger has fixed that problem, because after that they introduced the P85II etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As an example, my 6" brushed SS Colt Python, I paid $750 out the door back in 1986, I could easily get that back IF I sold it today.

Too bad you'd have to get $1500 back simply to get back the money you've got invested.

Ruger centerfire automatics are the absolute worst.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As an example, my 6" brushed SS Colt Python, I paid $750 out the door back in 1986, I could easily get that back IF I sold it today.

Too bad you'd have to get $1500 back simply to get back the money you've got invested.

Ruger Hi-Point, Jennings, Lorcin, and Glock centerfire automatics are the absolute worst.

Fixed.  A ruger is not even close to being a bad pistol.  Not.Even.Close.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruger Hi-Point, Jennings, Lorcin, and Glock centerfire automatics are the absolute worst.

i guess we aren't gun snobs like some others are.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#26]
not saying ruger's a bad pistol.  there are millions of great rugers out there.  I just decided that it doesn't stack up to a XD tactical or usp tactical.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
not saying ruger's a bad pistol.  there are millions of great rugers out there.  I just decided that it doesn't stack up to a XD tactical or usp tactical.

Get the USP Tactical......You know you want it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a P90 that used to be my old man's. It's never had a single failure or problem of any sort.

I was better with it than my 1911, years ago.

I'd trust my life to the P90, which is more than I'd say for the 1911 I had then. The Colt I noe own, on the other hand......yeah, I trust that too.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

sorry bro just giving you shit.  hey if you want a double stack .45acp then all you had to say is that it fails that criterion and you passed it by.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it has nothing to do with being careful.  In this age of a bajillion 45's to choose from, I don't want a gun that has 'an issue' no matter what it is.  

My choices are still XD 45acp tactical and HK USP tactical.  Ruger was an idea that popped in my head that has since been removed due to 'the issue'.

Well then you had better out the XD then because it has an "issue" with the second strike capability, as in there is none.  And HK's "issue" is they don't believe in selling replacement parts so if your arm goes down you are SOL and have to ship it back (just ask any gun range that rents).  Someone mentioned earlier that Rugers are huge; well they have obviously never tried to conceal a USP .45 Tactical or an XD Tac in comparison.  

I am an XD and USP owner that says Rugers are good too: there are no perfect pistols- that's why there are so many.  

Buy ALL the pistols you like; they are for you.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then you had better out the XD then because it has an "issue" with the second strike capability, as in there is none.  And HK's "issue" is they don't believe in selling replacement parts so if your arm goes down you are SOL and have to ship it back (just ask any gun range that rents).  Someone mentioned earlier that Rugers are huge; well they have obviously never tried to conceal a USP .45 Tactical or an XD Tac in comparison.  

I am an XD and USP owner that says Rugers are good too: there are no perfect pistols- that's why there are so many.  

Cheers

This is good advice.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

This is good advice.  

yeah if you want to be poor like me.  thats why i am at 2 calibers--9mm and .22lr.  ok and i buy a box of .357mag but very rarely--gotta love convertible revolvers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

This is good advice.  

yeah if you want to be poor like me.  thats why i am at 2 calibers--9mm and .22lr.  ok and i buy a box of .357mag but very rarely--gotta love convertible revolvers.

I've gone through at least 30 pistols.  HAven't found THE PERFECT one.  I love the thin grip of the 1911, the short trigger reach of the XD, the accuracy of a good smith revolver, the double action Taurus semi-auto pull.  

Can't stand the beretta grip, the CZ stock safety is too small and trigger reach too long, glocks don't fit my hand, Sigs are too wide, HK's too expensive and offer nothing over similar priced pistols, etc etc

BUT no pistol has all these traits.

I find the front to back length of the 1911 uncomfortable (got a short trigger and thin grips on mine, helps ALOT) in rapid fire, the XD leaves alittle to be desired in terms of accuracy (for me folks, just for me!), the single action accuracy of a good sw revolver is ruined by the need to thumb her back every time, and the double action taurus pull is tiring after a while, while sights for the taurus are limited.

I've settled on a Taurus 850SS for concealed carry, a Kimber TLE/RL II Pro SS for under a coat carry and still haven't settled on a full size house/range gun.  

Possible choices are the USP tactical 45, Kimber TLE/RL II SS fullsize, 5" 24/7 SA in 45, or a 45 SW revolver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#34]
If you love the grip of the 1911 and you are looking for a high cap striker .45, then look into the new metal Glock frame from Capital City Firearms. The CCF metal lower gives you the feel of the 1911 with adjustable backstraps.

A CCF Glock 21 might be what you are looking for.

Or just get the USP Tactical
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you looked at the SIG P245?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If you love the grip of the 1911 and you are looking for a high cap striker .45, then look into the new metal Glock frame from Capital City Firearms. The CCF metal lower gives you the feel of the 1911 with adjustable backstraps.

A CCF Glock 21 might be what you are looking for.

Or just get the USP Tactical

link?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#37]
CCF They don't show anything on their site about them, but if you go over some of the Shot Show albums on other sites you can see pictures.

Out of curiosity; if any pistol is good enough for hip carry why is it not good enough for the night stand?  And isn't every gun a "range gun"?
Thinning out your training familiarity over three very different pistols is something I would reconsider.  I can see a primary and a back-up, but using each seperately and as a primary seems a little iffy.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
CCF They don't show anything on their site about them, but if you go over some of the Shot Show albums on other sites you can see pictures.

Out of curiosity; if any pistol is good enough for hip carry why is it not good enough for the night stand?  And isn't every gun a "range gun"?
Thinning out your training familiarity over three very different pistols is something I would reconsider.  I can see a primary and a back-up, but using each seperately and as a primary seems a little iffy.

Cheers

For me, the nightstand vs. carry question comes down to simplicity of operation and suitibility to two very different shooters at their worst mentally.

The nightstand gun needs to be simplicity defined.  I prefer revolvers in that respect.  Revolvers big enough for HER to shoot comfortably and accurately are generally too large and heavy for a CCW.  My ladyfriend has a definite propensity to forget steps in the manual of arms for automatics under stress.  Normally with a 1911 or CZ75, she will forget to rack the slide on empty weapons, or forget to disengage the safety.  She's never had an issue reloading a revolver under stress with or without a speedloader.  I think the actions required are more obvious.

It came down to the wire between a G19 and a 686 4" for that role.  It wasn't until I saw her fumble the '19 some that the deal was done.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
For me, the nightstand vs. carry question comes down to simplicity of operation and suitibility to two very different shooters at their worst mentally.

Good point.  Hopefully you can eventually bring her up to speed so she can shoot any pistol she wants.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Hi-Point I use in IDPA just to piss people off.

It really bothers the 1911 guys for some reason.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top