Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2002 5:42:47 PM EDT
I have been looking at the H&K .45 USP for a couple of weeks and it feels good in my hands.  I have heard nothing but good things about these pistols, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.  I carry a Glock 17 now but I want to go back to the .45 for carry use....miss carrying the big boys!  I would like to stick with Glock...but the Glock 21 is too big for my hands!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome firearms, period.  They'll outshoot most other .45's right out of the box, they're reliable as hell (don't use wolf!) and they look killer.

If they have a downside, it's that the mags are $40 apiece.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Awesome firearms, period.  They'll outshoot most other .45's right out of the box, they're reliable as hell (don't use wolf!) and they look killer.

If they have a downside, it's that the mags are $40 apiece.

What he said !!!  I have two and as funds allow, I'll have more.
But thats after all my other wants...
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, it's nice, but the 1911's feel down right sexy in my hand

"get both"
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
F*cking works of art. I have three USPs and a Mark 23.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!  It looks as if the USP .45 will soon be added to the family!  Found a USP .45 with stainless slide and 2 mags for $550.00.  It looks brand new....it was a trade in from someone who bought it, didnt like it and traded it in.  Why is H&K discontinuing the stainless slide?  I think it looks pretty sharp with the stainless slide and the black polymer frame.  Can anyone post pics for me, I'd appreciate it!!  I cant get enough of them!  
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the black myself, but the stainless isn't too bad looking...  $550 is a hell of a deal!

Where in NV are you, milcop152?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
DANG! 550? with two mags?

USP is a great pistol. Get on that, quick!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
These here pistols are black, but just imagine them with a nice shiney silver slide.

[snip]

I'll try again

Basic H&K USP .45

USP .45 Tactical

USP LEM (Law Enforcement Model)

USP .45 Expert

Mark 23 .45 ACP

See if this works... from the Heckler & Koch USA website.

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My 'fighting guns' are both USPs.  A .45 Tactical and a USP9c.  I have hicaps for both, so that's nice too.  They are out there, you just have to search.

550 is a great price.  The 9c rides in a Galco NSA or Miami Classic, most of the time, and the Tac has an Eagle SAS-MkIII for fun use.

Great weapons...as a former Glockaholic, I can say I don't think I'm ever going back, unless Glock comes out with a full-size single stack .45.

QS
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!  Hey Valkyre all I see is red x's....thanks for the effort though.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't own it.  But I've shot it at the local shooting range.  Good grip.  Damn accurate.  And fast sight.  Probably the one of the best handgun I've had my hands on.  Its up there with 1911 I love so much.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
man am i fixing to start a war......

I know 6 guys that have bought usp's. All of them sold them within a year and bought a 1911.
They never failed to fire or had and problems. The complaints i heard were "to blocky for ccw"
"not comfortable to carry" didn't fit my hand" etc.

None of these guys had ever fired a 1911 prior to buying the hk. After shooting my kimber they wanted a 1911.

For a fighting gun they are excellent. For a day to day carry peice i am not sold on them yet.

mike
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
No war here..my two best friends are 1911 men.  I think you should try a USPc before you pass judgment on the 'carryability', though.  Granted it's not as thin as a 1911, but it's fine in a good holster.  The full-size USPs are a touch large for CC for me, but someone bigger than me could do it with no problem.  The issue with me is reliability and durability.  I've owned a number of 1911s and I have always had one or two little niggling problems with them that the USPs I own NEVER have.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!  Hey Valkyre all I see is red x's....thanks for the effort though.  

I'm guessing that the website I'm using is jacked. It always does this. I'll try an' find some more pictures.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Val..got the pics to come up now!  Thanks.  I picked up the USP today....cant wait to take her out and shoot it!!  I forgot how much more .45 ammo was than 9mm!  Going shooting tomorrow....thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I also sold my USP and haven't looked back.  Most of my complaints were with the ergonomics of it.

I might consider a USP Compact for CCW, but it is a thick, blocky little gun that will be hard to conceal no matter how good of a holster you have.  It's hard to beat the thinness of a 1911 for CCW.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why is H&K discontinuing the stainless slide?  I think it looks pretty sharp with the stainless slide and the black polymer frame.

I think they already discontinued them, but only on full-size models. Compacts I think still have the option for a stainless slide.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
 If you like the feel of the USP, go for it.  I got rid of mine for a 1911...sort of a mistake there...I bought a crap 1911  ( oops...strictly accidental ) so I really wish I still had the USP...I know a USP will work every time.
 My best friend and I tried for a year to screw a USP up by using it CONSTANTLY with no care.  We shot lead through it ( a real no no ) we carried it around in my Jeep all over the place ( I live in Arizona ), we almost never cleaned it ( except for deleading the barrel for safety reasons ), etc, etc.  It NEVER malfunctioned.  EVER.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 15 pistols, and the H&K Tactical is my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine. I shot my dad's trophy match before and after buying the USP and I'm better with the USP. I want a 1911 too but I'll never be without a USP!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#21]
H&K produces a very fine handgun, full size USP & USP compacts are amoung the finest firearm I have ever fired.  A few rungs up the ladder can be found the "Tactical and Expert" versions of H&K's UPS handguns.  Still farther up the ladder of high quailty handguns can be found the P7M8...everyone needs to test drive this gun!

I have fired thousand of rounds of 45 ACP ammo through my H&K USP Tactical version with outstanding results, never a failure if any kind.  More than I can say for the 1911's I have fired!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#22]

HK = GOOD SHIT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know about a .45... I have a .40 USP full size. I'm still questioning whether .40 or .45 is better for self-defense. I always thought that a .40 would not penetrate as much, but it would expand more, killing more than a .45...
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I like my USP Compact .45. THe only thing that I am waiting for is the LEM trigger group variant option. Its a toss up between the 40 and 45 for me. The forty actually penetrates a little more at higher velocities with a smaller bullet. Both have adequate penetration. If capacity is important, the 40 wins out. If the size is more important, the .45 rules. The three most important things affecting stopping power is shot placement, then shot placement, then shot placelment. All things being equal though, the bigger the hole the faster the leak.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
man am i fixing to start a war......

I know 6 guys that have bought usp's. All of them sold them within a year and bought a 1911.
They never failed to fire or had and problems. The complaints i heard were "to blocky for ccw"
"not comfortable to carry" didn't fit my hand" etc.

None of these guys had ever fired a 1911 prior to buying the hk. After shooting my kimber they wanted a 1911.

mike

You just explain my exact situation.
The few times I have shot a 1911 I shot as good if not better then my USP that I've owned for a year.

I'll never sell my HK though. I'm just saving for a Kimber SS Target II, problem solved!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome pistol.  Never a failure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a fullsize stainless steel variant 1 .40 S&W version, and totally love it. Be sure to put the Hogue Grips, and get some Trijicon Night Sights, and some preban mags, and you'll be set! I don't like the feel of Glocks myself, that's why I picked the USP. And since I'm a big guy, the compact didn't make much since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top