Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:48:28 AM EDT
This is probably a stupid question but I don't understand what the big deal with having front serrations on a semi is, but I know it's improtant because the gun rags make note of it when a gun has them. I've even seen where some people have them put on their glocks.

I can't think of a reason I would grab the gun by the front of the slide?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Press check?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 however the reason I like them is not because gun rags do. I have gotten to the point where I trust gun rags as much as dirty politicians.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
They are nice for press checks, but otherwise unecessary. On 1911s, I like Colt style vertical serrations in the rear only, but if I must have 60* angled rear serrations, I like the front cockers for visual balance. On other pistols I think they are mostly pointless.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i like em just for the way they look

never use em though

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 it's all style.  They make the gun look better.  I still like them but realize they do nothing for me aside from improving asthetics.

I do my press-checks by putting pressure on the recoil plug.  That works a lot better for me than grabbing the slide and trying to retract it part way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I use them on my Springfield for press checks. They make it noticably easier to check than my other pistols without them.

That said, I don't care if they're there or not. If they are, I use them, if not, oh well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
My Springfield 1911 has them, my Glock doesn't. I can press check either one from the front with no problem. Pinching the slide between the fingers and thumb works fine. So I can take them or leave them. The only down side to them for me, is that they tear up the inside of leather holsters.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry but what is a press check??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry but what is a press check??

Safety check to see if there is a round chambered.

"Press Check" generally refers to the act of pinching the slide between index finger and thumb, or just grasping the top of the slide, and "pinching" the slide back just enough to see if you can see brass in the chamber WITHOUT fully retracting the slide.  I first encountered it at a Gunsite sponsered FAST Company qualification class at Mare Island in 1989.  

Since then the act of putting serrations at the front of the slide has come into vogue to keep the slide from slipping during a press check.  I learned to do it on my old issue US&S  1911A1.  It had no serrations, so I don't consider that a critical addition to a 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top