Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:24 PM EDT
I was practicing speed loading on my ruger security six earlier this evening (I want to shoot an IDPA course with a revolver just to see how I do) to see how fast I can go and how much work I need to do to get competitive. My rough times were around 6 seconds for a reload. I was curious so I got out an auto pistol and timed myself on a mag change. I wasn't much quicker at all!
I always thought an auto pistol would be far faster than a revolver to reload but now I am not so sure. so my question/poll is how long does it take you to do a mag change?
Start timing from slide lock and stop timing upon firing the first round from the new mag.
I am just polling for auto pistols but if anyone wants to post revolver times I would love to see those.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If everything goes exactly perfect, I have done sub 1 sec mag changes, but my average is closer to 1.5.  I have been shooting IPSC since 1992, and I keep track of my splits on standards.  The disappointing thing is that I seem to have plateaued at A class...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I do 1.35 with stock GLOCK 19.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
It also depends on the gun, with my 1911 with a S&A magwell and competition rig under 1 second is easier than 1.5 seconds with a stock Glock with a carry mag holder.

This is something that can be practiced at home inexpensively and a lot of time can be saved here, just like the reaction time to the beep of the timer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
About 3 seconds.. I need to practice..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If it takes you 6 seconds to speed reload your auto, you need to practice, it really doesn't take that long to get to the point of easily doing sub 3 second reloads. And sub 2 is well within reach for any physically fit person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top