User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2002 5:16:16 AM EDT
Opinions on which one to choose?
Thanks,
Nick
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Two great pistols. Get the one that feels best and that shoots best for you. You can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would definitely pick the Sig P226 over Beretta for quality. Beretta mags are easier to get in 15 rnd capacity though. And cheaper. Your best bet would be to check both out at a gun store to see which you personally prefer - or better yet if you know someone who owns both - see if you can fire the two weapons before you go out and buy. I've never complained about my Sig Sauers - but I practically gave my Beretta away. Beretta and Sig are about the same for accuracy and reliabilty - I just think Sig puts a lot better work into their design. My personal prejudice though.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
i am a sig fella meself but i'm thinking one of those beretta vertec's would be cool with that nifty rail in front... tho i think sig has a rail on the stainless p220 and possibly the new 226. but that's getting pretty pricey.

either a 92 or a 226 is a fine choice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Gwkr36a,  I am looking to trade or sell my 92FS.  It is a great weapon but I honestly dont use it much and I am looking to finance other projects.  

I am the original owner and it came with two factory high cap 15 round mags.  I know this is not the equipment exchange, but let me know if you are interested.  I have lots of goodies to go with it.  It also has very low miles.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
my biased oppinion is for the sig.
(I dislike that slide mounted saftey on the 92's)
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for all your opinions, I decided to go with the P226. Especially after I read
this article at:
             http://www.gunnerynetwork.com/sig/226.html

Nick
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Great decision. You certainly won't regret it for a second. My 226 is amazingly accurate and a total joy to shoot.

How the West was REALY Won
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I went through this debate myself, but opted for the Beretta 92, and have been very happy with it.  SIG people love to quote the KB stories, but when you have such a large volume of guns being used, any gun will malfunction, Beretta or SIG.  If our guys were getting killed left and right, they wouldn't be using it anymore.

The deciding factor for me was that the SIG226 doesn't have a safety on it. When you have a round in the chamber it's a hot potato.  

The M92 Beretta decocker (and most S&W semi autos as well) doesn't just de-cock the trigger, it disengages the trigger, so you have a higher level of safe handling with a round in the chamber, as the trigger won't do anything while in the decocked position.  Had the SIG had this, I would have gone for a SIG vs. the Beretta, as I think the SIG is a bit more of a closed design against debris.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned the Sig 228 and the 226 as well as the SigPro 40. They are great guns, no complaints about fit, finish or function. I still have a Beretta 92FS. They all shoot about the same, I just like the safety/decocker on the 92 that is bedside in a gun vault with a factory 20 round mag of CorBon 115 JHP +P's. If the wife ever has to use it it is easier for her to "turn it off," completely "off." The Beretta has never ever jamed, even with my various reloads, but then neither did the Sigs. Hell you can't go wrong with either, certainly nothing to get worked up about, two of the best DA 9mm's made.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you plan on shooting from double action at all you'll like the Sig better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
another vote for the SIG, a damn quality gun for the money, I love it almost as much as my P7

SIG 232-
I assume that is all High Noon leather?  How do you like that open top model?  I just ordered the Hidden Impact for my SIG 225 as a test run, but that model you have is great, I assume it is lined as well?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with beretta because I could get it in Stainless, Sigs are available in stainless now. Had I to do it now it would be the 226 in stainless.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I chose both:
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
another vote for the SIG, a damn quality gun for the money, I love it almost as much as my P7

SIG 232-
I assume that is all High Noon leather?  How do you like that open top model?  I just ordered the Hidden Impact for my SIG 225 as a test run, but that model you have is great, I assume it is lined as well?

Good eye.

Both of those are HNH, the Mr. Softy IWB (think I'm up to three of them now) and the Topless (two of them). I think HNH has some of the best holster, at very good prices and with great service.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I owned a 92F and a 92FS, as well as a P226.  I still have the SIG.  Maybe the SIG just has more refined class.  Besides, everyone has a 92F.  I hedged my bets though.  I still have 9 preban Beretta mags in case I ever get the bug again.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I owned a 92F and a 92FS, as well as a P226.  I still have the SIG.  Maybe the SIG just has more refined class.  Besides, everyone has a 92F.  I hedged my bets though.  I still have 9 preban Beretta mags in case I ever get the bug again.  

Hold on to them. They'll work just fine in your new XD.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serious?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had both.  Still have my Sig.  I wouldn't worry about stuff getting into the Beretta, and they are fine guns.  If you get a Beretta Elite then it's DA trigger will be better than the Sig's.  My Sig is a work of art though.  As long as you keep your finger off the trigger you'll be fine.  Hell, given the right holster, I wouldn't be worried carrying the Sig around cocked!  The Sig points better for me, plus it is just "friendlier" to me, whatever that means - probably because my wife got it for me for my birthday.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I was pricing both guns. Found the Beretta for about $550, but the SIG is about $100 more. Anyone know where to find the SIG cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends if you want brand new or not. KY Imports ( and probably some other dealers) are selling Sig Sauer P-226's in very good condition for $380 dealer price - $40 extra if you want the night sights. If you have an FFL friend, this would be the cost effective route - my Sig Sauer P-228 was a demo gun - got it for an excellent price and in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
If you must have a double action auto then the Sig is the only choice. Autos with slide mounted controls are not suitable for defensive work. The Beretta was picked by the U.S. to help Italy offset the licensing costs for Bell helicopters. It wasn't the best gun in the tests.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. One of the little known facts. The Beretta 92, SiG 226 and S&W 59 mags work great in the 9mm XD. You have to reshape the mag catch hole slightly but they are sure easy to mod. Kindda like instant low cost hicaps. Also, the XD 40 mags will fit and work in the 9mm XD.

Serious?

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I sold my 92FS back in '94 after 3 years/4000 rounds.  I still have my P226 after 13 years and 42,000+ rounds.  I'd go with the SIG.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 92F that was made in Italy in 1986.  I prefer the 92F because it has a safty that can be used as a decocker or it can be flipped on to disengage the trigger.  High capacity magazines seem to be more availble for the M92 and because it was abopted by the US military I was able to get a great operators manual for it and an awesome armourer's manual for it.  If I could not have a 92F I would pick the P226.  It is also a great gun.  I do not feel that the 92F is a better gun than the P226, I just prefer it.  If you can try them both before you buy.  I think that it should come down to which one feels better.  IMHO the 92F & P226 are equal in performance and quality.  Which ever gun you choose, you will have a first class 9mm pistol.  Neither is second best.  Let us know what you pick.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Also, the P226 and the P228 both have operator manuals and armorer manuals - the P228 is used by the Army and other services (M11) the armorer manual is about the same size as the one for the Beretta. Military versions of the P228 are offered with Tritium night sights - I haven't seen an NSN model for the Beretta with night sights. Also CTC Corporation makes lasergrips specifically for the military and the following models - Beretta 92, Sig P226, Sig P228, 1911 .45, and the Ruger MK II .22lr pistol. The P226 is used mostly by Special Forces - the Navy has pubs on it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both- go with the Sig,its a much nicer gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm pretty much sold on the SIG, but want to shoot one first. Also, its an excuse to buy time to aquire the cash needed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:25:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm pretty much sold on the SIG, but want to shoot one first. Also, its an excuse to buy time to aquire the cash needed.

Remember, the proper question is not SiG or Beretta. The question is which will I buy first. Unless you're a very strange gun owner all you are worrying about is which order to buy them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#29]
True, I would like both.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Go with the Sig. Holds value better and just a finer piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer the Beretta to the SIG.  I've owned both, and didn't like the SIG's controls.  My favorite guns are Glocks, but Beretta's are a close second.

I especially like the looks of the Vertec.

bc

Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I vote SIG 226.

I'm actually kicking myself for not getting a 226 sooner.  The first 9mm I purchased was a 92FS INOX that I held onto for a few years.  I could not shoot it, or get any kind of groups with it whatsoever.  After 15,000 rounds I finally gave up and traded it.

Just got a 226 used and shot it for the first time today.  A real tackdriver, on par with the CZ75.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top