Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 7:25:27 AM EDT
Been shop'n for a new CCW and was looking at a Glock 30 or maybe a 36 and right next to them is a Taurus PT-145.
It's about the same size and feels ok but I don't know anything about them.
Are they  reliable and are they accurate?
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
NO DO NOT DO THE PT.

RON KONTOWSKY
DEANS GUNSHOP II
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the PT-111 (same model but 9mm) Seems to shoot everything OK except it doesn't feed Winchester White Box too well. The trigger pull on mine is heavy but I've heard newer guns are better. There aren't many guns that will give you 10 rds of .45 in a smaller package.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NO DO NOT DO THE PT.

RON KONTOWSKY
DEANS GUNSHOP II

So,just what do you mean by that?
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a glock 23 and am changing it to a PO 12 LDA, the PO has a much better trigger, mpst of all I am a 1911 dinosaur
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a 1911 guy myself but I don't want ne for a CCW,say I had to shoot some jackass and my nice gun sits in a evidence room of a year and rusts.

I need a pos gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
i have one, the frame broke twice, the trigger broke once, does not jam, but firing pin does not strike hard enough to light the candle on all rounds, not accurate at all, but could be a good gun when they get the bugs worked out
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
forums.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=2653

see my comments in this thread.

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been going through the same decision process as the originator because I want a pocket gun.  Got some good advice on a similar thread.  

My question to you is, why trust your life to a POS gun?

A comment to everyone else.  This confiscation business has to be stopped.  It makes no real sense.  If I acknowledge I shot the perp (hey, he's there, dead, I'm standing with the gun), what's the point? The police don't have to prove it's my round in anything but some extreme circumstances.  Of course they will run the S/N.  So?  And, if they want further testing, well, they'd have me come in another time (than the event).  If they can't do that, then they'd arrest me on the spot, in which case there's no point to the CCW permit system at all, is there.  Then there's the civil trial.  Let's see, it can be brought in, and verified from the original police report, can't it?  If they think it won't, then what makes them think I'd show up?  

So, in a legitimate shooting, there is no reason to confiscate and store a gun for a period of years.  It is merely harassment, or an attempt to block ownership, or could even sink to an attempt by some of the cops to add to their own collections.  (If after 3 years in "evidence" the gun can't be found, do you seriously believe they would do anything other than shrug?  And, if you pressed the issue, the usual cop response, "You want trouble?")

This aspect of the law needs to be changed by adding it to the CCW provisions.

I had intended to quote an earlier poster who said he wanted a POS gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You bet your a$$ it's  harassment and if you don't like it tuff if you don't hand it over they shoot you dead on the spot and tell your family it was your falt.

As for the "POS" gun I don't meant something like a Hi-Point jusy anything cheaper that a $2,500 Les-Bear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just shot one of these yesterday, and was very impressed with the accuracy, reliability, and feel of the gun.  I was not terribly happy with the trigger, but after disassembly and examination, decided that it could easily be smoothed out with a stone and a little work on the firing pin blocking device.  It seemed to eat up anything we put in it. same could not be said about the Springfield 1911 we were also shooting.  The guy whose gun it is said that it is the Mellenium model PT145- which is supposed to be the pt145 with all the bugs worked out.

All this talk of frame and pin breakage had me disturbed, as I was impressed enough with it that I was going to buy one.

Anyone know if they have in fact worked the bugs out?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
mine is the millenium, slated to go to the dealers tomorrow, for good
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]
mine WAS a PT145 millenium. mine did not feed too reliably either. coulda been a bad batch of polymer. could BE an inherent design flaw.

if you want a plastic frame, cough up the $~120 more and get a glock 36. it will feed reliably, and it has a decent trigger.  

a handgun that may have defensive purposes is nothing tho 'cheap it' on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
well, I'm not a big fan of glocks-can't explain it-Just don't like them.  I read on another thread that in addition to coming out with an XD-45, sprinfield is going to be releasing a compact XD pistol. Guess I'll stay away from The Tarus, and see what surfaces.

Any opinions on the Beretta 9000s?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot a friend's  one time.  Maybe it was just me but I didn't like the ergonomics.  I kept hitting the mag release when I would shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top