Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2002 10:59:10 PM EDT
I have started saving for my first handgun. It will mostly be a carry type of handgun. The three I have narrowed it down to for the most part are:

1.) Custom Loaded Ultra-Compact V10
2.) Kimber Ultra CDP II
3.) USP Compact 45

I haven't actually gone and held each of these yet but have looked at all of them online and was wondering what you all thought.

They seem to all be in about the same price range. USPc has a higher capacity. I love the ported slide on the V10. The Kimber seems great too.

What do you all think would be a good first handgun/carry gun.

Oz
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
 As nice as the Springfield V-10 may look...stay away.  Springfield is making tons of crap right now...I have a post on the AR forum about that issue.  If your gonna go 1911 use a Kimber, there is no question on their quality.  Your other two choices are very good. H&K's are a bit fat but not as fat as the Glock ( which is also a great gun ) and they are utterly reliable in my experience and the experience of my friends.
 Enjoy your first pistol..and remember SAFETY,SAFETY,SAFETY!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
For a first time pistol owner, I would have to recommend the H&K out of those choices. The Kimber 1911's are pretty nice as well, but a 1911 may not be the best pistol for a first-time pistolero. Carrying cocked and locked (the best method for 1911's) should be a practice left to experienced pistol shooters. The H&K's are nice, reliable and accurate pistols.

Let me also highly recommend two other guns you don't list: The various Glock models as well as the products from Sig-Sauer. They are hard to beat for quality, reliability and ease of use. The Sig's also usually have outstanding accuracy.

And one final recommendation, and the one I usually make to all new pistol shooters.....the tried and true revolver. You would not be one bit out-gunned if you were packing a nice Smith and Wesson .357 Magnum with a good load like the Federal Classic 125 gr JHP "manstopper" that has given the .357 such a rep over the years. They are easy to operate, accurate, not so picky about cleaning and safe. If concealed carry is what you want, a Model 66 with a 2.5" barrel or pehaps a 686 with 3" barrel might be the way to go. If carrying the iron on your hip, then stay with the 4" barrel models. Can't go wrong with a good .357 and a couple of speedloaders from Safariland or HKS to back it up. A Smith and Wesson 686 with 4" barrel is what I usually wear on my hip anymore. I love mine.

And oh yeah........welcome to the world of handguns! Good luck in your search.

---Charging Handle
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like to second the suggestion of looking at a revolver as a possible first handgun. They are usually less expensive then semi-automatics, very reliable and lots of fun to shoot. Although I have many semi-automatics, I find I end up carrying my revolvers mosre often than my semis.

A second consideration is that everything you learn shooting wheelguns will make you a better shooter when you get a semi. The fastest way I know of to build good shooting habits is with the revolver. If you want to stick to 45acp, look for a Smith & Wesson M-25 or M-625.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
of those 3 the kimber. I own a kimber and a SA ultra compact <which i prefer over the v10>. I was not that impressed with the porting as it puts the flash directly in your face. Any short barrel is going to be bad but that thing was a flame thrower.

The usp is nice but very bulky for concealled carry. Most of the guys i know that bought an HK sold it within a year.

With any of the 1911 choices put a couple hundred rounds through it for a good break in before relying on it. 1911's need a break in period.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto for the Kimber, although I prefer the older Series 1 guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The best thing that you can do to help yourself is to find a range that you can rent these guns at or someone that will let you try their gun out. Although it may feel good in your hand at the store, it may be a different story when you shoot it

For me, it would be the Kimber

Good luck it your search.

Jamie
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My first carry was a Beretta 380, I thought it was great until I met H&K. I now own a couple,I carry the compact 40 lem. The lem is double action only and does not have a safety, which I think have no purpose except to satisfy some anti-gun #@$hole. I carry it year round and I like the idea that if I ever need it,it'll fire. I'll bet my life on it.
  I have fired Kimber before it is a great piece of work just a little to big for my taste in carry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top