Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 9:53:41 PM EDT

I'm getting a S&W 910 (9mm) this spring, when I am of age.  It's being given to me as a gift from a relative who has no use for it anymore.
   This is not the actual one, but exactly like it.  Pic is from S&W's site.

-Does anyone own/shoot one of these?  

-Are they reliable pistols?

-Are there certain parts that are prone to failure?  

The one I am getting is in like new condition.  around 500 rounds through it.  It has the true glo night sights on it also.  I did a search on here, and couldnt find any threads on this particular model.

Thanks in advance for your input.  

rra-a2
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not shot the 910 model, but I have shot the 410 (.40S&W model of the 910).  So far it has been a robust pistol, no broken parts in nearly 1000 rounds.  It has been reliable, no FTF or FTE.  The owner of the 410 I've shot though maintains his stuff very well, so I dont know how they hold up to abuse.  Accuracy is decent out of a 4" I suppose, the 9mm may be better on accuracy.

In my opinion you are looking at a decent pistol for the price (FREE!)  It should serve you well if you take good care of it...like anything else.

ETA:  I forgot the 410 I shot did have FTE when using lower powered snake loads.  But that is the only ammo it has not like thus far.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one. It shot reliable and was OK in accuracy. It was not my favorite pistol but it was not junk either. All in all it was a good solid pistol. I had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll be my first, so it'll be a learning experience.  I've shot it at an indoor range before w/ a parent and I didnt do very good, but it was my first time shooting a pistol.  Very fun though, and comfortable.  

Not sure if I'll keep the night sights or not though.  Seems harder to focus on a orange dot, than a black post.  I'll decide that later after I shoot it some.  I'd like to do some IDPA/IPSC stuff w/ this sometime too.  It looks like fun.

Thanks for the replies.  If anyone has anything else to add, feel free.  Opinions, ect are appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You will like S&W 9mm because of reliable action, low recoil and moderate weight.

I use my 6946 for carry purposes and IDPA shooting.  The 3rd generation guns are very good guns so enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
These are great little starter pistols. Simple, robust, uncomplicated. 9mm ammo is cheap so you can get lots of practice for minimal $$$$$.

Check the Wolf gunspring web site for a lighter mainspring. 2-3lb lighter spring will help the trigger pull in double action.

Good luck & join the NRA!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually as a beginner you might want to keep this pistol as is.  I gave both of my son't one as their first handgun.  The S and W 15 round mags work well in this as the pistol was called the 915 when it first came out.  It is very dependable and a nice carry weapon.  You could use it as your defense weapon for many years.  Go on CDNN and get two 15 round mags and you're set.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is another good resource is the Smith and Wesson Forum.  If your looking for mags check out the classified section.

www.smith-wessonforum.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually as a beginner you might want to keep this pistol as is.  I gave both of my son't one as their first handgun.  The S and W 15 round mags work well in this as the pistol was called the 915 when it first came out.  It is very dependable and a nice carry weapon.  You could use it as your defense weapon for many years.  Go on CDNN and get two 15 round mags and you're set.

I know for sure that the pistol comes with two 15 rd. mags and two 10 rd. mags.  Ammo, range bag, cleaning kit, & a holster all come with it.  Now I just have to wait till mid-april till I can have it!  

Thanks for the heads up on CDNN, I'll check there...I may want an extra mag or 2...especially shooting in the winter.  I hate loading mags in the cold.  

And Thanks Srigs for that forum link!  

I'll be sure to post some actual pics once I have it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top