Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 5:40:28 AM EDT
Is it possible for the general public to take factory certified armorer's courses?  I'd really like to try to get a Sig and/or Glock certification and maybe a Colt cert.  If anybody has any information on this I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the individual company.

I don't think Colt offers anything these days, but S&W does, along with the option of the student buying a discounted S&W handgun.

You'll have to contact the individual companies and ask if they offer slots for non-police or non-gunsmiths.
If you're a bonifide, working/licensed gunsmith it should be no problem.  If you're just a interested "civilian" they might not open the courses up to you.
Again, depends on the company.

The Glock course is supposed to be SHORT.  I've heard it takes a short afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I gotta think Colt is still offering the AR/M16 armorer’s course, though almost certainly not to the general public.

I know Springfield Armory has a M1A1 course.  They might also have a 1911 course, though I seriously doubt it.  However, tracking down some sort of 1911 course should be easy – and there’s an enormous amount of literature and video tapes re: 1911’s anyway.

SIG offers their course to anyone interested.

I’ve heard that Armalite and Bushmaster offers their courses to anyone.  I think Bushmaster did one fairly recently at Blackwater.

You can also often find a graduate of a particular course who will put on a class of his own – though not with factory sanction!  I think this has happened at Front Sight.

Keep in mind that armorer training is designed for military and law enforcement maintenance of a particular firearm.  It typically is limited to diagnosing problems and replacing standard parts (the exception – at least in the past - being the S&W courses where you actually built a firearm).

It is a far cry from true gunsmith training.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys.  I agree, it's far from real gunsmith training, but I'm not looking for that.  I'm going into law enforcement soon and I think it would just be something good to put on the resumé.  That plus college education, spanish language proficiency, and a clean criminal record.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, most armorer training nowadays is factory certified for a specific time period – typically three years.

An outdated armorer certificate probably isn’t going to get you too far.

Suggest you time things accordingly.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top