Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:06 PM EDT
It seems like the newer crop of .22 handguns are reliability challenged: the Sig is getting strong negative feedback, Walthers are not held in high regard, and my Smith .22A ONLY shoots Remington Golden and will FTE, FTF 3of 5 rounds of any other ammo.

My understanding is that Rugers and Brownings have no such issues and I was wondering what people thought the cause of this problem is?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The Smitty 22a that I had was a very accurate gun.  However it was temperamental as a biatch.  

I have a new Beretta tomcat that feeds very well, no complaints about it at all!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No problems with my Trailside.  I love her!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
My Ruger MKII 22/45- Shoots good. Reliable- doesnt matter if its dirty, clean or in between. Dead-nuts accurate when I do my part.

Dads Ruger MKII Target- Same as above, 5.5" Target- Same reliability and accuracy.

Brothers S&W 422- 6" barrel, installed aftermarket adjustable sights- Shoots accurately enough- loses reliability after a few mags- slide doesnt always return to battery when dirty. Feels light and "whippy", like going from a bull-barreled 6mm varmint rifle, to a 22" barreled light sporter. Still sturdy, but the weight just seems "toyish".

Brothers Walther- Looks good. Not very reliable, accurate enough (not nearly on par with the Smith, let alone the Rugers) for plinking- rarely goes thru 2 mags without a FTE.

Buddy's Beretta NEOS- Not bad looking- shoots good- not on par with a Ruger, but better than the Smith- reliable in my limited experience- doesnt fit my hand quite right, but still moderately comfortable.    
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My 22A needs more love than I'm prepared to give it.
But it was balz-cheep new. I'm not sorry for getting it. Even IF it can't shoot Stingers.
It's a sad day in the world of gunz when my little Phoenix Armz 10 shot 22lr can out-perform a S/W
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had zero problems with my Mark II and my P22, both very good guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Mark II and a P22.  Both are very reliable but the Ruger is more accurate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
my newly aquired Ruger 22/45 feeds everything so far...

Federals, CCI, crappy remingtons (2 types), wolf, and aquila

400rnds so far, no problems
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two P-22S and a Beretta Neo and have owned 422s a colt target pistol and my dad has a colt woodsman.

My Neo is 100%reliable and accurate.
My oldest P-22 was not reliable at all and then I made it DAO and it is 100% reliable but unless you are shooting hot ammo it is DAO.
My newest P-22 is reliable and is about as accurate as my plder P-22
My dads Colt Woodsman was awsome plain and simple.
My heavy barrel colt .22 was so so in all areas.

My next .22 will be the Ruger 22/45 and if I had none and was going out to get one it would be the 22/45. I did not like the old polymer frame when I got my Neo but would chose the new Ruger frame over the Neo. The trigger on my Neo was garbage for the first 200-300rds but now it is good and I could not tell you how many rounds have been fired through it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no complaints with my P22.

I will second the "Colt Woodsman's are awesome" comment, however.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My S&W 22A runs like a raped ape, and eats all kinds of ammo.

If you've had trouble, by all means call S&W - they are VERY good with customer service.

My P22 also runs great, no problems with any ammo so far.

Guess I'm the luckiest guy in the world. Wait, no, I'm not. My $600 Kimber Rimfire didn't run worth a shit, and Kimber's pathetic smiths took 4 times of factory monkeying to figure out what I told them to begin with (bad magazines), and even now it's picky.

So, there you go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
My Buckmak is very reliable, so is my sons Ruger.  The wifes Smith 422 is finicky when it gets dirty but a quick shot of WD40 on the range to blow the crap out of it will usually get it going again.
My wife picked it due to the light weight so we put up with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Picked up a NIB Heritage Arms Rough Rider in 22lr.  It also comes with an extra cylinder for 22 magnums.  Figured I'd go with a revolver in 22lr this time so I can bypass any failure type issues.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I have over 2,000 rounds through my Ruger 22/45 without a single failure of any kind. It is also extremely accurate. Only downside is the funky Ruger disassembly/reassembly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had a Browning Buckmark since 1987, and it's always reliable. I had an issue with the original magazine catch because it was made of plastic, but they took care of that years ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd sport a 22/45 if it felt a bit better.  But the rugers are definitely great guns
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Neos here and 100% trouble free!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My browning buckmark is a dream to shoot with anything.

I sure wish I could say the same.  My buckmark has been a horrible gun right out of the box.  It fails to fire probably 3 or 4 of every 10 rounds.  The pin strikes on the shell cases are much shallower than my P22 which are crisp and deep.  I wonder if I just got a short firing pin.

My Walther P22 on the other hand shoots federal bulk, CCI stingers, etc. 100% as long as the magazine followers are properly lubed.  If I disassemble and clean the mags and forget to lube the followers, the P22 will fail to feed consistently.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally don't lilke any .22 weapon :P  Just not into how dinky it is.  I like a bit of a punch!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I personally don't lilke any .22 weapon :P  Just not into how dinky it is.  I like a bit of a punch!

We all like the big guns, trust me, but at $.01 a round playing with any gun becomes 10X funner.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have ... Only downside is the funky Ruger disassembly/reassembly.

Amen Brother.  Otherwise it is a wonderful handgun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]

I've had no problems with my Firestorm .22

It's a Bersa .380 in .22LR
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#25]
My Dad is a .22lr handgun junkie.

He has a Walther PP .22lr, he ordered a PPK .22 but the dealer got a PP instead. But, it is a great .22. Accurate and reliable.

He also has a Walther TPH (American) .22 that is very nice, but the slide can take a bite out of you hand if you are not careful.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#26]
CZ Kadet. Full sized and shoots like a dream. Complete gun and 2 ten rnd mags are going for around $299.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#27]
My 22/45 must be a dog.  It is neither accurate nor reliable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
No, I think the Ruger lovers are just full of it . I like my P22, no malfunctions, more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Colt, I've never cleaned it and have about 10k rounds through it.  Every now and then It fails to extract a round, but its from the mag being dirty I think, or the cheap .22lr ammo is a dud.

Its as accurate as I am I think, stock trigger and crappy sites but with the right ammo it hits where ya aim.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got an old Iver Johnson  TP22 and it still shoots anything I feed it.  

My two Ruger MKII's are great.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
If I were to ever get a 22 I think it would have to be one of those suppressor-built-in Rugers.  I do like those, I'll admit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I have three Ruger MKII's at the moment, my sons have a Buckmark and another MKII. I also have a 422 and a S&W M63 revolver.

The M63 is the hardest to shoot well, the others all have their role. Any gun that isn't dead reliable doesn't last long around here. I have had a several other .22 pistols, Rugers, Buckmarks, an old Browning challenger, and a Smith 622. They were all good guns except for a Smith 22A I traded for, absolute POS.

My favorites are the Ruger MKII's and the Smith 422/622. The Smiths are so light you forget that you're carrying it. The Rugers are like the old Timex commercials, they take a lickin and keep on tickin. My 6 7/8 stainless target model Ruger has been dunked in the river, packed with snow, fell down a muddy riverbank with me and got covered with mud, and been out in rain, sleet, snow and every kind of shitty condition (coon hunting) and has NEVER let me down. And it's so accurate that my buddy's quit packing their rifles.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#33]
My pistol accuracy sucks.

But, my Buckmark and CZ Kadet are both reliable and equally accurate (in my hands). The only problem I've had with the Kadet is some mags won't lock the slide back. So far, neither gun has been cleaned since the first one when I bought them in October.

My buddy's Ruger Mark II Government is also reliable and extremely accurate (better trigger).

I'm going to start shooting these suppressed soon as well.

Even though they look "old" the Buckmarks and Ruger standards typically seem to be the best current production .22LR semi-autos out there.

ETA: I still like those Ruger Mark III Hunters though. Mmmmmm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Might want to look here for more info...
www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php?
Very good site for anything .22.
They address alot of ammo/gun issues in depth.
I have been learning alot there.

I have two Ruger Mk IIs, a Browning Challenger III (Father to all the Buckmarks) and a NAA Mini Revolver.
Both Rugers were purchased new and the Browning and Mini are used.

The first Mk II one is a blued Goverment Target with a 6 7/8" barrel.
I replaced most of the trigger compnents with Volquartsen parts and Wolf springs.
I also replaced the front site with the sight off a Ruger Single Six.
I didn't like the sharp edges on the stock one, it was chewing up my holster when I would draw it.
It is now very crisp and clean and accurate.
A real joy to shoot.

The second MkII is a stainless Slabside Target with a 6 7/8" barrel.
This one is still bone stock.
I think if I get a chance, I'm going to do the same treatment as I did above.

I just picked up the Browning a short time ago.
I was looking for another Ruger for the Mrs. and ran into this used at a show.
I really like it, the trigger is much better than the stock Ruger.
I see alot of featured that are reminiscent of my old Colt Woodsman Match Target I traded away many years ago.
Wished I had never traded that one.
I am looking forward to seeing how this one will shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top