Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 9:19:23 AM EDT

what's the legal way to ship a handgun from private seller to buyer? i've heard that you have to have an FFL holder ship it to another FFL holder, and i've heard that the private seller can just ship it straight to the buyer's FFL. what's the truth?  i know some of ya'll have done it.   thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Legally, you can ship it to the FFL yourself,  but you have to use a next day air service. Some FFLs will not accept a firearm from an individual.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The first question is are the buyer and seller in different states?
If they are in the same state, state law rules and not federal law.
If they are in different states the BATFE rules have to be followed, along with any local laws.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
we're in different states, and i'm the buyer.  i've found out that it's just the FFL's preference whether they want to receive handguns from private sellers, and i found one that does around me, so i'm all set!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
how much do you guys think it would cost to send a USP via UPS overnight mail?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

$35 or so. Insure it, or it may well end up in some Teamster's collection.    
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$35 or so. Insure it, or it may well end up in some Teamster's collection.    

$35 is a lot cheaper than what the online quote says.  it's givin me about $50.  i hope you're right!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
If I am not mistaken, FedEx beats UPS on gun shipping prices every time.  It's not an actual gun shipping charge, just the overnight thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Pack it in a 1.5 cubic foot 'book' box and it is less likely to get ‘lost’.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
My guns lately have all been delivered to my FFL via priority mail. They get there quickly and safely. You can insure it as well. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My guns lately have all been delivered to my FFL via priority mail. They get there quickly and safely. You can insure it as well. YMMV.

It is only legal for an FFL to ship a handgun to another FFL using the USPS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top