Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:36 PM EDT
I shot some LRN from my 45's on super bowl sunday. This has left a rather amazing amount of lead in the bores of both pistols. I usually only shoot FMJ and bought this stuff by mistake. I've not had to clean a lot of lead out before so I would like to hear your favorite lead solvents/cleaning methods. I'm pretty meticulous about clean firearms so this is driving me nuts!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
these weren't polygonal barrels?  I thought LRN was ok to use out of regular rifling....kinda scary to think what could have happened had your range time been a little longer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Kroil & a bronze brush will wipe out lead faster than anything I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Lewis Lead Remover tool is pretty darned handy also.

Got a substantial amount of mercury and a bore plug laying around?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a Colt 1911 and an HK USP. The Colt was the worst. Never heard of Kroil. I will be looking for it. Plan on shooting some on Wed. and will shoot a good deal of standard jacketed ammo before I clean. Maybe that will clean some of it out. When I say a rather amazing amount of lead I mean it's visible in the bore. Like I stated I usually dont shoot lead so Im not used to seeing it at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It was a Colt 1911 and an HK USP. The Colt was the worst. Never heard of Kroil. I will be looking for it. Plan on shooting some on Wed. and will shoot a good deal of standard jacketed ammo before I clean. Maybe that will clean some of it out. When I say a rather amazing amount of lead I mean it's visible in the bore. Like I stated I usually dont shoot lead so Im not used to seeing it at all.

Kroil is an EXTREMELY  fine penetrating oil than can actually seep between the fouling and the surface of the bore.  You can also mix it with JB Bore Paste and create a very nice cleaning compound.  I used to run a mix of Kroil, JB Bore Paste and Shooter's Choice Lead Remover on a nice new brush to tear though heavy lead fouling.  I have since given up lead rounds after finally tiring of the practice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a regular cleaning brush and wrap some brass/bronze kitchen scouring pad around it (choreboy? choregirl?...hell, I can't remember the name).  Just clip some off and wind it around the brush and clean as usual.  It will strip the lead out pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Foul Out III.

10 to 20 minutes, can't believe I went all these years without one!

Includes a solution for copper fouling too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Where do you buy Kroil? I've never seen it at my local shops.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful, you will never ruin a barrel faster than using mechanical (brass scouring pad, lead remover screen or tool) cleaning technique.  Mercurey is the best, foul out is the safest.  I have also used a Birchwood Casey lead removing cloth cut into patches.   I wrap it around an old, worn (or smaller caliber) brass brush to hold it still but the brush never touches the bore. Scrub it back and forth a dozen times or so.   Works like a charm on stainless barrels.  It will rub off bluing however.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Be careful, you will never ruin a barrel faster than using mechanical (brass scouring pad, lead remover screen or tool) cleaning technique.  Mercurey is the best, foul out is the safest.  I have also used a Birchwood Casey lead removing cloth cut into patches.   I wrap it around an old, worn (or smaller caliber) brass brush to hold it still but the brush never touches the bore. Scrub it back and forth a dozen times or so.   Works like a charm on stainless barrels.  It will rub off bluing however.  

Brass is about the same hardness as copper.  The mesh just has surface area to bite into the softer lead.

I'v also used the lead remover cloth, it does ok, but for tough buildup you need something with more bite, like the lewis tool.

Sounds like you either had some rounds with soft lead or too much fps.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Foul Out III.

10 to 20 minutes, can't believe I went all these years without one!

Includes a solution for copper fouling too.

This gizmo will remove 100% of the lead, right down to the base metal without any muscle power, and part of the ad hype is that it won't out your barrel.  This if you can use your arm to wear out a gun barrel, I think your arm will wear out way before the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where do you buy Kroil? I've never seen it at my local shops.

Midway USA carries it if you can't find it anywhere.
Kano Kroil
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]
not supposed to shoot lead in a usp.  dont know what itll do, but theres probably a reason they say not to.
any solvent , a bore brush, and a lot of elbow grease will work.  just like shootin a lot of slugs in a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on lewis lead remover
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I'm talking about my Kart match barrels in my .45's.  Brass/bronze will scratch if not used properly.  Try reversing a bronze brush in your match bore and see if it won't scratch.  I don't know what a Lewis tool is, but if its that gizmo that pushes a brass screen through the barrel, ouch.  The smith that built my .45's told me not even to run a bronze brush through the barrel.  He said he never saw a barrel damaged by shooting, only by cleaning.  I've talked to Jim Clarke himself about this and he advised me not to clean a pistol barrel at all!  No shit! He runs a couple jackets down the barrel and goes back to the lead.  I know there are a million opinions on this, this is just mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Brass and bronze are two diff things, bronze is way much harder than brass.  I don't use bronze at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys are nuts saying that a bronz brush will damage a bore! 2 decades of cleaning with them and not one scratch!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The Tornado style brushes [in bronze (brass?) not the steel ones] work for pulling out lead as well if it's not to heavy.

Aren't all bore brushes made from bronze?  Or are they all made from brass?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top