Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 6:57:27 PM EDT
Ok, here's a 1906 Russian Contract Luger for $15,555.00 on GunsAmerica. Is it worth that much? Apparently it's missing parts and has a GOOD bore.

LINK

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Whaddya mean, WTF?

Do the research...

I saw a Pedersen device on GunsAmerica for $40k, and thought it was cheap. If I had the scratch I would have picked it up the second I saw it...

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whaddya mean, WTF?

Do the research...

Well I'm not a collector, so I'm asking a question. It's not uncommon to find laughably exorbitant prices on some unremarkable firearms on that site...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
See what the price would be for a(the) .45 Luger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whaddya mean, WTF?

Do the research...

Well I'm not a collector, so I'm asking a question. It's not uncommon to find laughably exorbitant prices on some unremarkable firearms on that site...

That's not a laughably exhorbant price Of course it does help to know the history and research them.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#5]
There are luger's out there that are worth many times that price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

didn't it sell for something like 7 figures the last time around?  thats what happens when there are only 2 made and one was destroyed in the tests.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

didn't it sell for something like 7 figures the last time around?  thats what happens when there are only 2 made and one was destroyed in the tests.

Answer me this: Which Luger is more valuable than the .45?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the 3rd .45 that disappeared? (There were three...one was destroyed in the testing, one vanished, leaving the 3rd one we all know of..)

Either that, or a Baby Luger...

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It sold last for a cool $1 million. Then he took it out & shot it!   My kinda guy!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There were three...one was destroyed in the testing, one vanished, leaving the 3rd one we all know of..)

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember it was in G&A or some similar rag a few years back. They billed it as the million dollar Luger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably the 3rd .45 that disappeared? (There were three...one was destroyed in the testing, one vanished, leaving the 3rd one we all know of..)

Yikes...there was a THIRD 45??? HOLY SHIT!!!  ETA: I seriously didn't know that.

Now, it has been a few years but from what I recall, it was George Luger's personal Luger, which was a Baby Luger.  I had always been under the impression that it was the 45 that was most valuable but I guess the the very pistol of the man himself would fetch a pretty penny.

Any Luger experts in the hoose?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yikes...there was a THIRD 45??? HOLY SHIT!!!  ETA: I seriously didn't know that.

Yep...it's wherabouts have been unknown since the early 1900's. It's either sitting in a safe somewhere, protected...or it's rusting to shit in a back field somewhere where someone ditched it, after lifting it from the armory.

Very, very valuable, should it ever re-surface. Unlike the other known .45, the lost one has an unknown history..so not only are you buying a firearm, but you're buying a story (and c'mon, half the fun of buying something like that is the story behind it )

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...it's wherabouts have been unknown since the early 1900's. It's either sitting in a safe somewhere, protected...or it's rusting to shit in a back field somewhere where someone ditched it, after lifting it from the armory.

Very, very valuable, should it ever re-surface. Unlike the other known .45, the lost one has an unknown history..so not only are you buying a firearm, but you're buying a story (and c'mon, half the fun of buying something like that is the story behind it )

All I have to say is, "WOW!  Wouldn't THAT be something to run across on the upper shelf of grandad's closet!!!!"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]
i would think any ww2 era luger owned buy a big shit i mean shot nazi.example;Herman Goerings luger or Himmlers would bring in alot of scratch.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i would think any ww2 era luger owned buy a big shit i mean shot nazi.example;Herman Goerings luger or Himmlers would bring in alot of scratch.

were they still carrying lugers or were they carrying the walther p38?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More than likely, they'd carry something smaller than an "infantry pistol".  Walther PPK and/or Mauser HsC come to mind......
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Goering was captured at the end of the war with his personal weapon... a S&W model MP in 38 Special (now known as model 10) with 4" skinny barrel.  I kid you not.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The German military were huge pistol fans, and so they isued all kinds of pistols; Radoms, Browning Hi-powers, etc, etc...it must have been a real PITA for supply types to get straight which unit was carrying what.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The German military were huge pistol fans, and so they isued all kinds of pistols; Radoms, Browning Hi-powers, etc, etc...it must have been a real PITA for supply types to get straight which unit was carrying what.

the supply issue was a common problem for the german military.  my favorite example is the use of some 20+ models of trucks and cars.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#22]
My Wife's Grandfather had a  really nice Side-Inscription Kreighoff Luger (probably Police issue).  From what I understand it was worth a tidy sum, and I was asked if professional pictures could be taken for a revision of a particular author's 4th edition of his book.  It was in pretty much immaculate condition.  Unfortunately, I only got to have it in my possession for a little while and then had to give it back.  Since he passed away the Luger has gone to my wife's Uncle.  I'm pretty pissed about it, too, as he doesn't appreciate the history of such things.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Love Lugers!
I'm seventeen and I got two! They are the most fun you can ever have at the range, especially the Artillery Luger with the stock, beats the hell out of the M4 carbine .

Trigger is awsome on both examples. The gun fits in the hand like it was molded and shaped just for YOUR hand. Recoil is minimal, a combination of the grip angle and the light recoiling 9x19 round. Countrary to popular belief, the pistols work 100% under the range conditions I have been in. Only complaint is that I wish it had an external hammer, I just like guns which I can see when they are cocked and ready to rock.
You will not find a better weapon.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Now, it has been a few years but from what I recall, it was George Luger's personal Luger, which was a Baby Luger.  I had always been under the impression that it was the 45 that was most valuable but I guess the the very pistol of the man himself would fetch a pretty penny.

Check the Luger Forum in arfcom & you'll find a guy who makes Baby Lugers from mil-surp models. Damn works of art, IMO.

Any Luger experts in the hoose?

What do you wish to know, sir?????
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last I heard there were 7 made.  Trent's in Jonesboro, AR has one,  could be a replica but I've seen the authentication on it.  It said it was real.  But even that could be faked.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Last I heard there were 7 made.  Trent's in Jonesboro, AR has one,  could be a replica but I've seen the authentication on it.  It said it was real.  But even that could be faked.

No, there were only three made by Luger for the US Army trials. Stoeger made a few in SS a few years back.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean 7 Army Trial .45's, or 7 Baby Lugers?

Dunno about the Babys (other than that at least one existed), but there were only 3, as BobCole pointed out, that were manufactured for the Army and used in their trials. Stoeger did build some afterwards, but they were commercial, not military.

Luger expert I am not, however.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
He said it was German confiscated after WW2 so I dunno.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He said it was German confiscated after WW2 so I dunno.

He needs to go take a dump, because he is full of it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Like I said it could be a replica, but it is a .45 acp luger
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Like I said it could be  is a replica, but it is a .45 acp luger

Fixed it for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top