BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 11:48:23 AM EDT
300 rounds of WWB - 230 ball
12 rounds CorBon 200 gr. JHP
13 rounds Remington 230 grain Golden Sabre

-No malfunctions at all.
-Handling was great.
-Accuracy was very good - groups tended to be a tad to the left. Can probably be attributed to me having a tendency to milk the grip. More to follow...
-Tried to cause a malfunction by severly limp wristing the pistol but it kept on cycling.
-Fully loaded magazines are a bear to seat with the slide in battery.
-Recoil was less than my G21. (ETA - probably due to the dual captive recoil springs)

Any questions?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice test. How was muzzle flip?

Are you going to use the holster they provided?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nice test. How was muzzle flip?

Are you going to use the holster they provided?

Muzzle flip was about equal to a G17 I traded in on the G21.  

Yes, I used the holster and it seemed fine. I also really liked the magazine loader a bit more than the one that comes with Glock pistols.

I'd like to add that my 12 y.o son appreciated the grip size as compared to the G21. He is somewhat indifferent about pistols though...he's really into shooting the AR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the grip really as long as it looks in pic #2?  If it is unusually long, did this bother you?

Great report, I like the pile-o-brass...nice touch!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is the grip really as long as it looks in pic #2?  If it is unusually long, did this bother you?

See below

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It does look long. I hope its an optical Illusion because I worked 58 hrs for 2 weeks just to save for the XD45.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Grip pics as promised:

I think it fits just great...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL, that is one dirty XD.  I haven't even ran a single round through mine yet.  Glad to hear yours ran like a top.  Do you have any other XD's as well?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I really need one of these now.  The grip looks like it was made for me.  I have fairly wide hands and even the grip on my Beretta 92 and other auto pistols feel too short for me.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LOL, that is one dirty XD.  I haven't even ran a single round through mine yet.  Glad to hear yours ran like a top.  Do you have any other XD's as well?

I ordered mine last Thursday, picked it up on Friday and hit the range this afternoon.

This is my first XD. My G21 will be up for sale at the local gun store...nothing but praise for the Glock but I'm the only one in my family who can shoot it well.

I DO NOT care for the highly polished XD mags - downed pilots can use those things as a signal mirror! I'll come up with a way to dull the finish and still allow them to fall freely from the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
--i know what my next pistol is going to be.....

did SA ever imporve the finish's durablity or is the bluing still weak--get the stainless?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

did SA ever imporve the finish's durablity or is the bluing still weak--get the stainless?

The finish on this pistol is Melonite and is rather smooth, hard and black - it seems as though has SA addressed the lack of durability / rust resistance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

slide finish has improved considerably. Very close to Glocks Tenifer but smoother. Looks like it's not as thick as the Glock coating
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

slide finish has improved considerably. Very close to Glocks Tenifer but smoother. Looks like it's not as thick as the Glock coating
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/103_0380.jpg

--Good to hear...looks like Black is back for an option!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a pic of my 11.875 year old with the pistol to give you a better idea of the grip size.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I had an experience with XD finish that I consider to be unfortunate.  I've been working out of town since August 2005.  I live in Douglasville, GA, yet I drive to Savannah to work.  I had been carrying my Kimber Ultra Compact on my hip, to and fro the hotel room, and leaving my XD9 Service in the glove box.

Apparently, the seaside, salt water, air was bad for my XD9.  Call me a goof ball, but I left the XD in the glove box for two weeks w/o looking at it.  One weekend, I retreived the XD to clean it.  It was unfired and I just wanted to clean it to scrub old grease and lube out of it.  One side of the slide, which had been laying on my vehicle's manual, in the glove box, had rusted.

I freaked out and damned myself for negligence.  The rust on the slide and drive pins was superficial and it cleaned up with merely using Breakfree to scrub it down.  I used a nylon brush to scrub the rust off the pins and just wiped down the slide repeatedly.  There was no rust internally.  All of the rust I found was fine and exterior.  I'd have some before and after pics, but I need to purchase a new digital camera.  Apparently, electronic devices don't hold up well to submersion in water, especially toilet water...but that's an entirely different topic.

My XD9 looks literally the same as it did before the rust.  I didn't notice any pitting under the scrutiny of a magnifying glass.  Needless to say, I have since rubbed down the slide with a thin layer of white lithium grease and it's been riding in my glove box ever since.  Also, I have not noticed any more rust.

Apparently, the XD is just like any other weapon.  If you ignore it and are careless, you'll have problems with rust.  It is not due to a defect of manufacturing.  It is due to defect of ownership.  My XD was not pretreated for seaside air before traveling out of an inland environment.  The condition of a weapon reflects upon the owner.  Now that I have come to this realization, I am prepared.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the grip as long as the barrel? Meaning is it say a 6 inch from the top of the gun to the bottom of the grip and 6 inches from the back of the gun to the end of the barrel? Or is it like 5 inches down and 6 long?

As for grip size is it around the same size as most 9mm?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had an experience with XD finish that I consider to be unfortunate.  I've been working out of town since August 2005.  I live in Douglasville, GA, yet I drive to Savannah to work.  I had been carrying my Kimber Ultra Compact on my hip, to and fro the hotel room, and leaving my XD9 Service in the glove box.

Apparently, the seaside, salt water, air was bad for my XD9.  Call me a goof ball, but I left the XD in the glove box for two weeks w/o looking at it.  One weekend, I retreived the XD to clean it.  It was unfired and I just wanted to clean it to scrub old grease and lube out of it.  One side of the slide, which had been laying on my vehicle's manual, in the glove box, had rusted.

I freaked out and damned myself for negligence.  The rust on the slide and drive pins was superficial and it cleaned up with merely using Breakfree to scrub it down.  I used a nylon brush to scrub the rust off the pins and just wiped down the slide repeatedly.  There was no rust internally.  All of the rust I found was fine and exterior.  I'd have some before and after pics, but I need to purchase a new digital camera.  Apparently, electronic devices don't hold up well to submersion in water, especially toilet water...but that's an entirely different topic.

My XD9 looks literally the same as it did before the rust.  I didn't notice any pitting under the scrutiny of a magnifying glass.  Needless to say, I have since rubbed down the slide with a thin layer of white lithium grease and it's been riding in my glove box ever since.  Also, I have not noticed any more rust.

Apparently, the XD is just like any other weapon.  If you ignore it and are careless, you'll have problems with rust.  It is not due to a defect of manufacturing.  It is due to defect of ownership.  My XD was not pretreated for seaside air before traveling out of an inland environment.  The condition of a weapon reflects upon the owner.  Now that I have come to this realization, I am prepared.

Earlier in the thread there is a mention of melonite as being the new finish for the xd45.  Hopefully this will eliminate the corrosion issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Any possibility your claim of less recoil than the G21 is simply psychological due to a new gun?  Kind of like that feeling your car runs better just because you changed the plug wires?  The reason I ask, there have been a few people at the XD forum claiming that the recoil is actually kind of snappy for a 45.  I have not to this day felt a lighter recoiling 45 than a G21, with the G30 being a close second behind it.

I also think my XD9 has a bit more felt recoil than any of my 9mm Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I took mine out today..

Similar results: 200 rounds of WWB, another 40 or so of Magtech (blue box ball), and another 50 or so of Federal P45CSP1 (Expanding Point +P 200 grain), with 6 mags (gotta test mag drops, etc)

Mags are VERY bright. Upside is that they're also very smooth...dropping a mag via it's awesome ambidextrious mag release is like butter...drops clean and smooth. Reseating a new mag is equally as smooth.

The slide stop is a bit rough to me; using it to drop the slide on a loaded mag takes some effort. Not saying this is a bad thing, but if you're used to an HK or a Sig, the slide stop will take some effort.

Muzzle flip? Negligable. I shot it side-by-side with my Colt 1911A1. Same recoil, same feel. It was nice.

Grip fit very well. Glocks were always too chunky for me...and they didn't have what I consider a necessity; the grip safety. That thing is what really sold me on it, truth be told.

My groups were a little to the left, but I'm a 1911 guy...it's just learning how to squeeze a trigger that pivots instead of slides straight back. It's purely me, and not the gun.

Malfunctions? None.

Now, here's the uber kicker: It was comfortable to shoot! Being a 1911 guy I like shooting high thumb. I own a Sig, an HK, and 1911's. Obviously, I prefer the 1911. The HK's trigger / trigger guard pinches my finger something FIERCE. The long curled trigger rubs my finger raw (it's a USPc in .40)...after 2 mags, it's just NOT comfortable to shoot anymore. I can comfortable do a high thumb hold, though. The Sig..can't comfortably high-thumb. The grip rubs the inside web of my thumb raw. Switching to Hogues will probably fix that. Other than that, and the weirdo control layout (not saying it's bad, just different), it was my go-to gun while I finished tuning my 1911.

With the XD...I could grip it like a 1911, and be comfortable. No rubbing raw of fingers or thumbs. I could shoot it all day and not be any more uncomfortable shooting it than I would a 1911, or the Sig, if I didn't hold the Sig high-thumb. It points naturally, it has two highly visible safetys which require the gun to be held in shooting position for it to go off, a factory ambidextrious magazine release, and it comes with accessories...all for $500 or less.

Uh yah, this is a no-brainer.

How's it shoot? Like a 1911. Extraction and ejection was positive, ejecting up around 1:30-2-oclock, and backward around 4 or 5-oclock.

The grip might be construed as a bit long; holding one-handed the grip protrudes from the bottom of my hand a little, more than a 1911. To me? It gives me more error-room if I'm snagging at it while I'm under stress; it is NOT going to slip out from my hand because of lack of purchase.

Grip width? Wider than a 1911, but slimmer than every other double-stack .45 out there I can think of, including USPs. I've shot a Mk23, a USP Tac, and a USPc in .45...and while they all fit me well and worked damn well, they just did not fit as well and were not as slim as the XD. Would I cry if someone gave me an HK in .45? No...but if someone offered me a Mk23 in trade for my XD45ACP, I would HAVE to spend some time thinking about it (assuming I couldn't run out and buy another XD, that is ). Mags, at $26 from the factory, are not unreasonable (check prices for other double-stack .45's...)

Oh, also...standard Glock accessories will fit on it, just fine. I have an M6 taclight here that I couldn't use for AGES because it was Glock-specific. It slid and fit on the XD just like it was designed for the gun.

If you're reading this, and are on the fence about it...it'll be probably the best-spent $500 handgun purchase you can make.

As others have noted, they changed the finish with the XD45ACP...it's now Melonite, which is far, far better than their previous finishes. It's easily comparable to Tennifer as far as hardness and corrosion resistance are concerned; you can google for it and see for yourselves.

Hey...they don't call it the Croation Sensation for nothing
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any possibility your claim of less recoil than the G21 is simply psychological due to a new gun?  Kind of like that feeling your car runs better just because you changed the plug wires?  The reason I ask, there have been a few people at the XD forum claiming that the recoil is actually kind of snappy for a 45.  I have not to this day felt a lighter recoiling 45 than a G21, with the G30 being a close second behind it.

I also think my XD9 has a bit more felt recoil than any of my 9mm Glocks.

That's only my take on it - try it for yourself and arrive at your own conclusion. Lets not get too analytical about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody shot 185grainers out of it yet?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Earlier in the thread there is a mention of melonite as being the new finish for the xd45.  Hopefully this will eliminate the corrosion issues.

Yeah, I read it.  I was posting my experience with the finish of my XD9.  I wanted to share this information with others because even though I had a problem with my XD9, I still went out and bought the 45ACP.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
only local dealer w/ em in stock has em NIB for $529+tax

guess i will wait....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I read it.  I was posting my experience with the finish of my XD9.  I wanted to share this information with others because even though I had a problem with my XD9, I still went out and bought the 45ACP.

I was all hot to get a 9mm xd until I heard about the corrosion problems.  

Here's hoping that the new finish will become standard.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#26]
A much as I like my G21s, they do feel big in my hands and it did take me a while until I could shoot them well.

This SA is most likely my next pistol purchase (unless something special just jumps at me unexpectedly with a great price on it).  

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A much as I like my G21s, they do feel big in my hands and it did take me a while until I could shoot them well.

This SA is most likely my next pistol purchase (unless something special just jumps at me unexpectedly with a great price on it).  

Thanks for the review.

No problem...I'm a little concerned about it shooting left though. Next time out, I'll fire a few rounds from sandbags on the 25 yd. rifle range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]
How is the trigger pull when compaired to the glock??? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#29]
More take up than the Glock - trigger reset doesn't seem as "crisp" if that makes any sense to you...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Update:

Although the pistol performed well I decided to use it as a trade in. I just couldn't get used to it being so top heavy and decided that I really didn't like it enough to keep it. Yes, I took a hit on the $$$ but I'm happy now...

I'm convinced that the pistol shooting left of POA was partly due to my hold...

And to think that I was considering letting my G21 go!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

GLOCK wins another one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Update:

Although the pistol performed well I decided to use it as a trade in. I just couldn't get used to it being so top heavy and decided that I really didn't like it enough to keep it. Yes, I took a hit on the $$$ but I'm happy now...

whoa, that was a quick turnaround decision....any other reasons>?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update:

Yeah I know...that was the first time I did something like that. You should have seen the hairy eyeball I got from the local gun store clerk (and perhaps, rightfully so). The owner went above and beyond to make sure that I got more than a fair price for it - kudos to Greg.

Seems kind of silly to not give it more of a chance but, the more I handled it, the less I liked it. I think that it's fine for most shooters but I just prefer the way my Glock handles and shoots.

I still was impressed by the way it fed all ammo without even so much as a hiccup along with the fit and finish.

BTW - I traded it on a new G17
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update:

Yeah I know...that was the first time I did something like that. You should have seen the hairy eyeball I got from the local gun store clerk (and perhaps, rightfully so). The owner went above and beyond to make sure that I got more than a fair price for it - kudos to Greg.

Seems kind of silly to not give it more of a chance but, the more I handled it, the less I liked it. I think that it's fine for most shooters but I just prefer the way my Glock handles and shoots.

I still was impressed by the way it fed all ammo without even so much as a hiccup along with the fit and finish.

Glocks are good--re-congrats on the new 17
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update:

Glocks are good--re-congrats on the new 17

Thanks friend  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Sad to hear you parted with it so soon! i have a few purchses lined up but the XD45acp just made the list. My current house gun is a SIG P220R SS. Best damn gun i own(besides being a brick at 39oz empty).

I am going to try and rent one before i purchse it but i think i have made up my mind on it now.

i plan on getting the 3.5lb trigger group from SA and then i will really be in love.

WRT the mags - anyone tried coating them with anything? im sure a half decent baked on finish would take care of the problem or even some fine sanding. And even though i hate the polished finish my XD9 mags fell out of the gun so easily its worth the shine.

Thanks for the range report even though you got rid of it. you should get a kickback from SA - you porbably just sold half a dozen of em
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Heh, i notice how dirty the slide is, were you useing WWB ammo?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Obviously, I prefer the 1911.  

your a good man Ed, poly guns can't compare to the best head gun made..

good report Ed, I handled one the other day (felt good) if I didnt have so many poly guns in my safe I would have bought it. My dealer price was 495.00, great value IMO for a hicap 45ACP  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thanks for the range report even though you got rid of it. you should get a kickback from SA - you porbably just sold half a dozen of em

Like a new loaded M1A?

Quoted:
Heh, i notice how dirty the slide is, were you useing WWB ammo?

Yup - everything is outlined on the first page from Evil_Ed and myself
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I fired a mag through one and I love it. I will own one someday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Obviously, I prefer the 1911.  

your a good man Ed, poly guns can't compare to the best head gun made..

good report Ed, I handled one the other day (felt good) if I didnt have so many poly guns in my safe I would have bought it. My dealer price was 495.00, great value IMO for a hicap 45ACP  

It's a fantastic price for a fantastic handgun, IMO. It fits my hand as naturally as a 1911, just a little thicker in the grip. It's got the proper safetys, and it's got a better magazine capacity.

If TSHTF, I could honestly grab either one, 1911 or the XD, and not feel like I made a bad decision either way. There's not many guns I could say that about...in fact the only other gun I can think of that would fit that criteria would be a Sig

Oddly enough, all 3 have internal extractors, too...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#42]
How about a range report on the New Glock 17.................
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I won't have it for another week and I'm sure that it will be somewhat boring...

bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload... on and on it goes.

Concerning the XD:

I forgot to note that I tried to induce a malfunction by severly limp-wristing it and it kept on keepin' on.
Senior moment
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won't have it for another week and I'm sure that it will be somewhat boring...

bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload... on and on it goes.

Concerning the XD:

I forgot to note that I tried to induce a malfunction by severly limp-wristing it and it kept on keepin' on.

You did mention something about that in the begining. I finally got my XD-45acp on Friday and have since put 150 rounds of Winchester 230 grain match ammo, and have had no problems what so ever. I love that pistol. Its only top heavy when its unloaded, but once u get a full mag in there, it balances quite well.

Scout
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Update:

Thanks a lot! Now the Glock owners are going to be saying "Man, the XD sucks so much, owners are selling them to buy Glocks!"
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
More take up than the Glock - trigger reset doesn't seem as "crisp" if that makes any sense to you...

A Canyon Creek adjusted XD trigger has at the very most the same takeup and reset as a Glock but so much crisper.  I considered my XD 9 subcompact decent but nothing special.  After sending it to CC for a carry trigger job and gunkote it's my2nd  favorite pistol  ( my Rock River 1911 is my fav).  3k rds without a hiccup.  Yea I know it didn't come out of the box that way but I don't have the ability to leave a pistol stock anyways.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Update:

Thanks a lot! Now the Glock owners are going to be saying "Man, the XD sucks so much, owners are selling them to buy Glocks!"

It really doesn't matter one bit what "Glock owners" are saying - I certainly don't claim to represent them as a group. The XD just isn't for me - it may however be perfect for you...give it a try and decide for yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top