Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
I’ve been thinking of having some stuff hard chromed. Starting with a Colt Gold Cup and moving on to other various gun parts and accessories. I’ve come across a couple places like Tripp Research Cobra Chrome and Accurate Plating and Weaponry. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with hard chrome parts or either of these two companies.

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been told by older shooters to avoid chrome as it will eventually flake off, somewhere, sometime. Might not be while you own it, might be a month after you get it refinished, who knows?

They also say to avoid nickle as it scratches easily.

No doubt there's not a magic, perfect finish but stainless steel has to be one of the better options if you're worried about environmental concerns, IMO.

Might want to check Robar's web site for other finish ideas like their Np3, etc.?????

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
A buddy has a 1911 that was hard chromed by APW...it's a real nice job and looks good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A good chrome job will stay on even if the metal underneath it is damaged. I have seen that on an old Armand Swenson Colt, btw, so I know the adverts are true.

Bumper chrome will flake easily--per Patrick Sweeney.

NP3 didn't impress me. It got very slight scratches from a belt buckle. I wont be buying that again, unless I need to plate aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a great deal on a Sig P220 that had a touch of rust that would show up on the slide if you didn't keep it real wet.  Sent the sldie off to Tripp for the hard chrome.  Fantastic service, great turnaround time, and I'm blown away by how flawless the finish is, not shiny and slick but completely even.  It's also easier to clean and so far (about a year) impervious to everything.

I highly recommend Tripp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
GO FOR IT !

I've been shooting hardchromed IPSC pistols for over 10 years.

It makes the gun last forever.

I use METALIFE,  but tripp is highly recommended by alot of IPSC shooters.

www.mahovskysmetalife.com down now, but they are still in business.

Chrome bumpers flake,  hardchrome pistols do not.

......niether do chrome lined military barrels.

Just make sure you do all your customizing before it gets hardchromed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my Colt series 70 Hard Chromed by Bob Cogan at APW.  I could not be happier with the way it turned out.

He also did a frame to slide fit, adjustable rear sight and stippled the front strap of the pistol grip and of the trigger guard.

I've put about 300rds through it since getting it back.  I have had no problem with the finish.

I'm currently looking for a beater series 70 Commander.  As soon as I find a good deal, I'm sending to APW.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got my TRP back from Tripp Research :)

And my SW99 :p

And had my Walther done last month :)

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
My old IPSC gun from the mid 1990's

My highly customized Kimber. This gun has had about 10,000 rounds a year through it for several years, it still looks and feels new....

hand checkered by Me...

www.metalifeind.com/
www.mahovskysmetalife.com/
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
i had my STI just done by tripp.they did an excellent job and were pretty quick.10 days i think shop time.shipping both ways is pricy but i'm happy id recommend them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top