Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 7:14:59 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a 1911 style .45, and have been looking at the Para Ordinance P12-45, P13-45, Hi-cap LTC and Springfield Loaded Lightweight champion. All of these have between 3.5 and 4 inch slides and the paras have hi cap mags..........I want something a little smaller than full size for ccw. Which would you purchase? Which would be the best for the money? I have never owned a 1911 pistol, but would like to get one..............give me some feedback
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow...... this will get a ton of replies.

In my experience, the 1911 Commander size will suit the needs of a .45 and carry-ability.

MFGRs will vary - if you want to spend <$500 - look at Charles Daly, Springfield, etc.
if you are willing to spend in the $1,000 range, look at Kimber, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to keep the price in the sub 700 dollar range, as a local gunshop has a ParaOrd Covert with 4 inch slide and compact frame (10+1 I think) for around 595.95, which does not seem like a bad deal to me
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
i had a SA Champion for carry--it ran pretty good (had a couple of issues w/ the mag not locking the slide back, but it was just the mags), but weighed like a full size

switched out to SW's 1911 PD--lighter and imo, the best 1911s for the money, expecially if you want the more traditional setup for the commander size (built just like the full size w/ bbl bushing, etc) as well has having more of the features i wanted (like non-ambisafety, front strap groves)

i have only put less than 150 rnds through it ( a mix of mags), but it ran 100%
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my 1911 for carry because it is so thin.  I personally wouldn't go with a wide body 1911 as that would negate what is so nice about the design for carry purposes, its thin profile.

Also, if it was up to me I'd have a 5" barrel with a shortened grip.  Since IWB carry is my preferred method I can hide the barrel length with no problems, its just the grip length that causes me to have to watch what I wear at times.  

One other thing to consider is the mags for the widebodies.  My friend got a Wilson Combat wide body and now constantly moans about the cost of extra mags for it.

So, long story short, I think if you're looking for a carry gun in the 1911 flavor I'd figure out how you want to carry it before you decide on the size of the 1911 you get.  If you're going IWB then you can get away with a bit bigger, but if its on your belt I've found I need a smaller 1911 to be able to conceal it without markedly altering my clothing choices.

That said I'd go for a SA Champion.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies..........I think I will look at the SW and the SA pistols a little closer, as well as some of the ParaOrd single stack ones as well. The commander size kinda fits the bill for me, as I want something I can carry on me, as well as stick in the glove box of my car. Being new to single action pistols, I am gonna try a few of them to see what I like  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top