Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:59 AM EDT
45 ACP XD or Smith M@P 40..  My Local police department "Columbus" are the first in country to adopt the M@P.. I hope they have a good experience with that model. I'm kinda surprised the Columbus PD switched to the M@P 40 because they always carried 45 ACP's in the 4506 for 15 years.  I am in the market to buy a new handgun for fun shooting/self defense. I'm going to go look at the XD 45 ACP at my local gunshop today to see how that grip fells.. I wish the Smith M@P was out in 45, I would give it a serious look. Too bad Smith wont have the 45 out for a year, lol. I know many don't like Smith center fire Auto's for various reasons.  How do you think these too would compare?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have handled the Smith and Wesson MP.  Doesn't do anything for me.  I do have an affinity for the XD45 ACP.

Max
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
14 rounds of .45 ACP, whats to decide?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
45 ACP XD or Smith M@P 40..  My Local police department "Columbus" are the first in country to adopt the M@P.. I hope they have a good experience with that model. I'm kinda surprised the Columbus PD switched to the M@P 40 because they always carried 45 ACP's in the 4506 for 15 years.  I am in the market to buy a new handgun for fun shooting/self defense. I'm going to go look at the XD 45 ACP at my local gunshop today to see how that grip fells.. I wish the Smith M@P was out in 45, I would give it a serious look. Too bad Smith wont have the 45 out for a year, lol. I know many don't like Smith center fire Auto's for various reasons.  How do you think these too would compare?

15 years ago the 4506 wasn't a bad choice, and .45acp still isn't a bad choice.  The XD has proven itself over the past few years and before that as the HS2000.  While the .45 utilized a new frame, the design is basically the same pistol that has been in use for a while.  The M&P is new and will have its teething issues (the Sigma should come to mind) as do most new pistols.  I'd give it a few years on a new design before you drop your own cash on something you're going to defend your life with to see if it actually stacks up.

But, the answer to your query on why .40 in the M&P is solved by inquiring into who donates to Mayor Coleman's re-election fund...

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I'm still hung up on it, considering the reviewer thatposted here about it suggested it be rejected from his department due to, among other things, longevity issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I REALLY like my XD 45.  They improved the finish and who can argue with 14 rounds of .45 in a package that people can actually fit in their hand?!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I just saw mine!  Love it, just put it on layaway though.  Didnt want to workout my credit cards.   Got to pay those down.

Max
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It sure seems that XD.45acp is getting a big fan following!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
In a similar type pistol, I think the Taurus 24/7 is a better weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't buy a M&P new.  

Wait until CDNN is closing them out at $299 before picking one up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wow.  I could not disagree more.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not own either pistol, but looked at both today at the fun store.  I was very impressed by the feel of the XD45 over the M&P.  The M&P just did not sit well in my hand and the trigger felt like sand was in it.  The XD trigger was smooth. and the feel was awsome.

I kicked myself all day today for not buying the XD45 right there.  It was $540.00.  Any feedback on that price?  Also, what weapons light are you guys putting on the XD45?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It was $540.00.  Any feedback on that price?  

That seems a little steep.  XDs are usually around $450.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up an XD45ACP for $499...not a great price, but not bad at all.

$540 is pushing it a bit, unless instant gratification (Assuming your state doesn't have some kind of waiting period) makes it worth your while.

The only reason I haven't chimed in on this thread is because I haven't actually shot it yet

However, it fits my hand fantastically. Totally ambi mag release without modification (I'm a righty, but you never know), it points naturally, and it has what I consider a necessary thing; a grip safety for a handgun that is designed to be carried loaded and cocked. Think Glock, but with that added measure of "you must actually be gripping the thing like you mean to shoot it for it to go off" safety.  And it's rail accepts Glock accessories as well as other accessories.

No, I have NOT touched the Smith. It didn't really interest me, truth be told. So, I can't comment much on that, other than to say I'd like to give the Smith a try, as well, just to see.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone worried about how thin the plastic is around the handle?  (SA XD .45acp)  It looks thin from the pictures.

I really want a .45 SA XD, but not sure about the strength of the handle?  Please help.

As long as it is strong enough,  I want it for sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyone worried about how thin the plastic is around the handle?  (SA XD .45acp)  It looks thin from the pictures.

I really want a .45 SA XD, but not sure about the strength of the handle?  Please help.

As long as it is strong enough,  I want it for sure.

It is thin, but it is strong too.  It barely flexes at all.  I would say it's a non issue really
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't buy a M&P new.  

Wait until CDNN is closing them out at $299 before picking one up.

LOL that was ruff .....But I did get one in my hand on one today felt good; I like it better then the sigma that I carried for two and a half years (issued)  with that said I won't be running out selling my XD tatical 9mm for one any time soon nor with I put out the $599. asking price for it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I kicked myself all day today for not buying the XD45 right there.  It was $540.00.  Any feedback on that price?  Also, what weapons light are you guys putting on the XD45?

$519 Locally at the shop htat is usually pretty close to best in town for prices.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Took mine out yesterday...had an M6 Streamlight mounted on it (combo light/laser)

Before firing I had the laser dot lined up at around 30 feet, with the front sight post...after the first couple mags the dot was noticably low, and to the right. Well, now I know how it seats after a few rounds

The M6 was in standard Glock rail config, so it does accept Glock-specific accessories. Huge +1 for me.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
14 rounds of .45 ACP, whats to decide?

+1

I think the 45XD is going to make me put down all my 1911's.............

HEY!!!!!

If 1911's can put some more ammo in my hand I will still keep them.......

NOT!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You're not serious, are you?

I talked to a guy at my favorite local shop, Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville, GA, and he said that they are still hard to come by.  That's why the prices are so firm.

Quoted:
Anyone worried about how thin the plastic is around the handle? (SA XD .45acp) It looks thin from the pictures.

It is thinner than the other XD's and does flex some (but hardly any at all).  You almost need a pair of channel locks to get it to move.  However, if you pinch it between your index finger and thumb it doesn't flex in as much as an HK or Sigma.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Columbus dropped the M&P because it had an excessive failure rate.  It broke a very high percentage of slide stops in a very short order.  Looks like S&W has another winning auto on their hands.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Columbus dropped the M&P because it had an excessive failure rate.  It broke a very high percentage of slide stops in a very short order.  Looks like S&W has another winning auto on their hands.

In 6 days the product has already been dropped?  As for the previous S&W Semi-auto's the 5906 and 659 although heavy, are damned fine self shuckers.  The Sigma which I believe you are referring to is an abomination from the devil......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I do not own either pistol, but looked at both today at the fun store.  I was very impressed by the feel of the XD45 over the M&P.  The M&P just did not sit well in my hand and the trigger felt like sand was in it.  The XD trigger was smooth. and the feel was awsome.

That price is high!  I would look around and see if you can't get one around $465.  As far as weapons lights I have the Streamlight M6 on my XD9 and love it.  Every functional!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Columbus dropped the M&P because it had an excessive failure rate.  It broke a very high percentage of slide stops in a very short order.  Looks like S&W has another winning auto on their hands.[/quote

In 6 days the product has already been dropped?  As for the previous S&W Semi-auto's the 5906 and 659 although heavy, are damned fine self shuckers.  The Sigma which I believe you are referring to is an abomination from the devil......

This is not really breaking news, they got some just before or just after Christmas to try and then got a larger lot for trials and familiarization.  I have a few friends on CPD and they said that they really liked the pistol but they broke.  If I had to guess I would say that they went with to soft of a steel for the slide stop.  If I recall correctly it only broke when it was switched for the lefties.  They may take it on later but it has been shelved for now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Glenn_r did a really good write up on the M&P it should be somewhere around here.

Found it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Strangly enought the Smith and Wesson M&P will Not Fire with out the mag.  

something to think about.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Strangly enought the Smith and Wesson M&P will Not Fire with out the mag.  

something to think about.

Neither will their 659 or 5906.  Its a built in safety device in where if the officer is about to have the gun taken from him, he may have a chance to eject the magazine and rendering it useless as a firearm.  Something more to think about.

Thanks for the info NoharmNoFal.  I was looking forward to our own PD shelving our older S&W's for these, but not so much so now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#30]
It'll be the first to return them to.  Officers complaining that their fingers either don't have the strength to pull the trigger, or they can't complete something with that length of pull.  That'll be before they start having all their FTEs
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I would definately consider the XD-45acp, i got mine on friday and have put 150 rounds through her with no problems yet. Its balls on accurate and fits my hand like a glove. The recoil isnt bad in the least. the only thing is that its a tad top heavy after the mag is empty, but this is no problem for myself. I love it.

Scout
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#32]
IIRC the M&P was designed with foreign sales as a primary goal; outfitting the new Iraqi police forces, I believe.
I finger-f**ked one at the gun store.  I thought that the grip was above average for a "plastic" pistol.  The trigger was a typical Glock type striker action; fine if you are okay with that kind of trigger.  Other than that, it was pretty much just another pistol.

Personally, although I prefer 1911 type triggers (and 1911 type pistols!), I'm okay with my G26 as well.  But S&W autos are pretty much out of the question for me because I DETEST magazine disconnect safeties with a passion.

I have a major beef with almost all the new pistol designs if the truth will out.  They are mostly designed by bureaucrats and lawyers with the lowest common denominator in mind; the prevention of NDs in the hands of people belonging to police and military organizations for which there is just no money or incentive for real training with "real" pistols.  Most of these designs have double action only (or similar) type triggers with hideous weight trigger pulls, mag disconnects, high mag cap (for people who cannot understand the importance of that first shot), etc.

I've tried most of them and although some of them are kind of cool; like the USP and the SIGs, they mostly leave me cold.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top