Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 9:58:01 AM EDT
can any body help me out the safest place at thr range is directly in front of my pistol at least where ever i am pointing it.
so i think i have a proper stance i sqeeze the trigger not pull i breathe inbetween shots, what am i doing wrong or not doing. i really need help. rifles i can a least hit the target same with C02 pistols
but i cant hit any thing with a real pistol. out of 25 rounds i hit the shoot and see target 4 times in 4 different places at 10 yards .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Anticipating recoil ....  I bet the ones that hit the target are the ones where you were surprised the gun fired.

Concentrate on front site ... think "SIGHT, SIGHT, SIGHT" as you very slowly add pressure to the trigger.  If you aren't surprised when the gun fires you are doing it wrong.   Most people think "TRIGGER, TRIGGER, TRIGGER" which means you are controlling the exact millisecond it fires so you are anticipating the recoil.  Stick a snap cap in your magazine at an unknown location and you will be surprised on how much you flinch ...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
thanx i will have to try that. was never really surprised the gun went of i guess i was concentraiting on the sight a little more. aiming at 10 ring the his were 2 o'clock 5 o'clock, 7o'clock and 10 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Good advide above.

Buy a few snap-caps.  Have a friend load them into your mag in random places so you don't know which round is hot.

When I took a defensive handgun course recently, a student asked the instructor for help with the same problem.  The instructor loaded up 4 snap-caps into his Glock22 mag.  The student WAS having a big flinching problem.

Try it out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same problem with flinching. I'm new to handguns.

Heck, I have no problem with shooting hard kicking loads with the shotgun. I feel the pain, but I don't flinch. I almost enjoy it.

With the pistol though, I frigging flinch. It's ticking me off. I am almost tempted to get a .500 S&W and keep shooting that just to get myself used to the 9mm which I shoot.
I was thinking that if I can shoot at least moderately with the a hard kicking round, the 9mm should be like shooting a .22LR.
I'm just being silly of course.

Does lightening the trigger help. It seems like as I squeeze the trigger and use my forearm muscles, the handgun starts to shake.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
flinching was my problem as well. when I was a freshman in highschool I was shooting pop cans at about 20 yards at the local range. the problem was I couldnt hit them. ( I was shooting a glock 34). the guy in the lane next to me asked if he could see my handgun. I removed the empty mag and checked the chamber and then handed it to him. After a few seconds he said " I bet you would shoot better if you let me load your gun". I was a bit reluctant to say ok, but i did, and then he told me to turn around. I didnt like the sound of that but he said that I couldnt wach him load it. long story short he handed my an empty weaopn and i flinched like crazy. he then proceded to help me correct the problem by randomly swiching between giving me a loaded and un loaded gun. by the end of the day i was hitting cans like they were two feet away.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Dry firing works wonders as well. I'll give a big +1 to using snap caps. Take about four live rounds, and one snap cap, and shake them up in your hand, and then load without looking. Then shoot from about seven or ten yards. Repeat this drill over and over. Pay particular attention to the front sight while firing, and you will see if you are moving at all after the trigger breaks. Don't worry about the target too much while you're doing this, just concentrate on the front site. Once you get the bugs out, you should see a real improvement.
Good luck, keep trying.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Read this, this, and when you get those down, read this.

ETA: +1 on professional instruction.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You need professional instruction. Seek out a Good instructor and spend a few $$$. You'll be very glad that you did.

Anywhere near Tallahassee?

dont have a few $$$ to spend on a class hell i was barely able to afford the pistol. but i do agree i need professional instruction.
i am in fort myers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

great read but i dont own a glock. the pistol i am working with is a taurus pt111 millennium pro dao.
i did see some helpfull info on those pages aside from it being mostly about glocks.

thanx for the link.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#11]
You might check out www.technicalvideorental.com, it's like Netflix but they have just about any gun video to rent.  There's a lot of pistol shooting videos, I've been watching quite a few myself, there's some good ones with an IPSC bent that really go over the basics well.  It's more expensive that Netflix, it's $10 per video for a week, but it's a great resource for those of us in the boonies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

great read but i dont own a glock. the pistol i am working with is a taurus pt111 millennium pro dao.
i did see some helpfull info on those pages aside from it being mostly about glocks.

thanx for the link.

Don't be too hard on yourself, thats a hard gun to shoot well. Its short, light with a heavy trigger and Taurus isn't know for accuracy or high quality. Try some other guns, you might do better. Keep practicing at close range, you can only get better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
get a 1911!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Great advice on the "flinch".   Dry fire, and pay close attention.  The gun going off should be a suprise if you do it right.  As you progress you might wanna try throwing hotter rounds in to the mag at random like +p's.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Visit the Florida Hometown forum and ask someone there to help you out.... I might be able to one of these weekends I am not an Expert but I can usually get by with a pistol... I shoot about 50% as good as I did 2 years ago due to lack of practice.  I have to shoot constantly to be any good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Great advice on the "flinch".   Dry fire, and pay close attention.  The gun going off should be a suprise if you do it right.  As you progress you might wanna try throwing hotter rounds in to the mag at random like +p's.  

unfortunatly +p rounds are a no-no in the pt111 mp best i can do is 147grain hp rounds i found from winchester.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Visit the Florida Hometown forum and ask someone there to help you out.... I might be able to one of these weekends I am not an Expert but I can usually get by with a pistol... I shoot about 50% as good as I did 2 years ago due to lack of practice.  I have to shoot constantly to be any good.

i may have to take you up on that offer if you are in the fort myers area. see i have a unique condition i had a tendon replaced in my trigger finger and it doesnt bend all the way so i have been forced (at least with this pistols long trigger pull) to use middle finger for the trigger. this is probably70% of my problem but it still feels somewhat natural.

i do have some snap caps on the way, next time i go to the range i will have to try that method.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Try a quality Revolver.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been having flinching problems myself. Cough it up to me "swinging for the fence" persay by buying a .40S&W as my first, and a .45ACP as my second.

After developing a serious repeatable case of the flinches, I invested money in a small P22 .22LR pistol. I hope that will give me enough practice without the recoil to develop the habit of focusing on the target, and not the shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top