Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
self-admitted gun snob here
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
So then I'd be a "gun slob" ????
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I be a gun snob purely b/c I am critical of the firearms I own?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Um. Yeah.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
guilty
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
To me there are basically three types of guns.

1. Shitty guns---unreliable, crude designs, cheap materials(Jennings, Hi-Point, Lorcin, etc.)

2. Serviceable guns---reliable, decent materials, but maybe not as ergonomic and not as good fit and finish(Makarovs, Kel-Tecs, Rugers, etc)

3. Top quality---reliable, well designed with good ergonomics and excellent fit and finish(Sig, GLOCK, HK, Beretta, etc.)

While I prefer the top quality stuff, I won't bash anyone for buying an affordable yet reliable gun. There is NO good reason to buy a pot metal POS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It depends. There are some well made guns in the $300-$400 range and I would defend their quality since I own some of them. But something like Hi-point, Jennings, Bryco or of those junk companies, I'd drown if it started raining.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
HERE HERE!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I'm guilty, also.  
I've owned all of the crap that one could buy throughout my years(40+)owning and shooting weapons.  Firearms definitely fit the saying "You get what you pay for."
I own only quality now, ie. Sig., Walther, Browning, S&W, Ruger ect.
I always tell people who are new to shooting," Do not buy CRAP. You will regret it later."
Most of the time they don't listen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not just a member of "Gun Snobs", I'm the president.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I guess that makes me the spokesman.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I liked it so much I bought the company!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of us just can't decide.

I have a flawless Belgian Hi-power, but also a CZ52;
a Series 70 Gold Cup, but several Maks;
a Model 27 S&W and a Colt Diamondback, but also a Nagant and an ChiCom Tokarev and an H&R999.

My rifle situation is similar. (Triburst makes a good point, BTW)

All are good shooters, and all are treasures, in their own way.

What can I say? Your mama wants you to marry the little debutante, and she's lovely, but mmm mmm, those trailer park babes can be SWEET...

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
buy cheap buy twice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
buy cheap buy twice.

buy once cry once
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Um. Yeah.

Understatement of the year!!

Gun Snob in training here.

Really everybody can own the good stuff.  If you can save for two months to buy a $300 piece of shit than you can save for six + months to get something worthwhile.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
1911snob

thats my handle @ 1911forum
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I proud to say that I am not only a Gun Snob,

I am a Colt Snob Too
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#25]
A piece of shit is a piece of shit, regardless of how pretty the gun is, or how much it cost, or who made it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:41:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Can one reform and become a gun snob?

I won't list the guns I have had pass through my hands over the years, but there were some real turds.  

What is worse are the guns that I sold that were not turds and I did not know what I had.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, actually, I am a gun whore.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I am most definitely a GUN SNOB. And I am quite proud of that fact. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Guilty 1st degree LOL
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#31]
not a snob, just dont like buying crap nor hold back from voicing my opinion
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#32]
huh..... not sure how to put myself...

I have my CPO Sig 228. A Walther P22.. a makarov 9X18 in great shape.... and a FEG HiPower Clone..

All Four shoot and look quality... all four are built like a brick reliability wise after a little break in shooting and maybe a little TLC in the case of the P22.

Not ONE cost more than 600$ The only one I had any failures with was the makarov and that was because it was so new and I was shooting that crappy cone tip Wolf FMJ that doesn't feed smoothly in new (not broken in) Makarovs.

So no.

I'm a Gun PRICE snob....

I won't pay for a quality piece unless I can get it for a discount... and I won't buy crap either unless you call FEG's and Maks junk... Personally I don't but YMMV based on what makes or breaks the firearm for you...

Some people are happy with a Ruger P89

Some people aren't happy until they have a 2K internal extractor 1911 milled out of a solid block of Titanium with controls plated with ploished platinum and REAL mother of pearl grips....

me

personally?

If it goes bang every time, hits what I point it at, fits my hand, and doesn't EXPLODE when I shoot it.... it'll make me grin and my $$ is well spent.

Dropping 1K on a sidearm sounds crazy to me but then I'm just perforating paper for fun.... if I was doing something more serious like competing or carrying it for work maybe that opinion would change.

At this point I've been shooting less than a year so a few cheappo copies of the guns I'm actually interested in will help me decide what I actually want and what I actually shoot well...

What If I drop 800-2000 smackers on a nice 1911 and find out it naturally points at the ground when in my hand?

IMO I'd be better served by a cheaper version to get a feel for it and if it really turns out to be the bee's knees trade in the clone with some saved $$ for the real deal.

And If dont' like it I can sell it or keep it so I still have a cheap example for my friends to try out and I'm not out a ton of $$$ if I decide it's not the best design for me to shoot well.

I totally agree with triburst.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh my bad... I'll keep my mouth shut in the future...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Absolutely not.

I don't care nearly as much about the name or price tag on a gun as I do whether or not the one(s) I own work.

I currently own about 200 firearms & have owned & sold/traded/given as many more (and I'm just talking about my personal stuff, not my years as a dealer) and I certainly can afford to own most anything the "gun snobs" hold in such high regard.  But I have found some great "lesser" guns over the years that were real gems (and, of course, some real turkeys too, at every price level).  If I offer advice on a gun here, it is because I have owned and shot it.  If not, I won't comment beyond my opinion of its features, aesthetics, etc. (and I'll go to great lengths to point out that it's my opinion only).

I do not like "snobs" of any description.  I especially don't like the type of people who pronounce "All Brand XYZ products are junk!" with exactly ZERO experience upon which to make such a pronouncement.  Parrots and sheep, every one, IMHO.

Good or bad, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

YMMV, of course...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a "eurotrash snob" HK, SIG, Steyr, Glock and Walther fan

Chris
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I suppose you could call me a gun snob...but I'm odd about it.
I think most military surplus firearms (Maks, CZs, M1911s, Walthers, etc) are all fine weapons.
I think there are some guns which cost a lot of money, and are not worth it.
(Not to start a debate, but newer Colts - non-std FCG, anti-civie policies, their handguns lack the famous Colt fit and finish like the old one's had)

So, yes, I am a gun snob.
I think a gun should be reliable, be accurate, and that a firearm's price should accuratly reflect it's worth.
A 1911 has to cost so much because of the construction.
A Glock does not cost nearly as much, because of the construction.
Both are equally considered "quality" handguns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Ever Hear... "You Get What You Pay For?" Well lets just say I am a strong believer in that.

Nathan

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#39]
......are..."gun snobs"...also "yuppies" ???.......or maybe ....."gun yuppies"..??.....you know...the ones that have to get the $300 handguards......."cause they look cool"......hhhmmm........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Naaa I'm not a snob. I love my ruger P90 in .45 something about that smooth functioning stainless steel weapon that didn't cost the mint. Over 1000 rnds and never a single malfunction.

If it goes bang and the owner is happy with it more power to them. Worrying about who, what or how much just isn't worth the trouble to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I proud to say that I am not only a Gun Snob,

I am a Colt Snob Too

That's cool...just don't get too drunk on the kool aide.

And yes, I am a gun snob too!!! Particularly about handguns (I'll only buy Sig pistols).
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#42]
There are no hard and fast rules in life.....

just because a gun does not COST a shitload, doesnt mean you shouldnt at least take a look at WHY it costs so little.

I own a kel tec P3AT that I paid $240 for brand new.  Would I put it in the same category as my beretta?  Of course not.  It is no where near as well made, reliable, or nice to shoot or look at, BUT IT SERVES ITS PURPOSE.

To automatically call a gun crap based SOLELY on a price blinds you to applications.

That being said, 90% of the time you DO get what you pay for, but I am willing to bet that if we started a thread where people listed JUST what they paid for for their guns, without giving any specifics (make, model, caliber, ect) there would be IDIOTS who would look at it, pick a price, and dismiss every gun below that price as "crap" without even wondering what it was.

Go ahead, be a snob, but be one for the right reasons.  Base your snobbery on QUALITY, not PRICE, as they do not always reflect eachother.  Don't forget, you can sometimes pay a whole lot of money for an anchor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I would prefer to be called a Connoisseur  of fine firearms
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
self-admitted gun snob here

me too, but this comes from experience. You 95% of the time get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't get all the bashing on Jennings/Bryco guns?!?  The first handgun I every bought was a Jennings 9mm.  I've got about 2000 rounds of factory reloads(not known for their reliability), without a single problem.

I don't think a brand name makes a POS or a great gun.  I have a Colt Government Model 1911 in 9mm, that wont shoot worth a shit.  Does this make Colt a POS?!?!

Just my $.02

Travis
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I don't get all the bashing on Jennings/Bryco guns?!?  The first handgun I every bought was a Jennings 9mm.  I've got about 2000 rounds of factory reloads(not known for their reliability), without a single problem.

I don't think a brand name makes a POS or a great gun.  I have a Colt Government Modle 1911 in 9mm, that wont shoot worth a shit.  Does this make Colt a POS?!?!

Just my $.02

Travis

GET HIM! He hasnt swallowed the Colt Kool Aid!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Now I have some fine high quality pistols. HK USP, Colt 1911 but I wouldn't trade my Jennings 22 for anything. I mean it's going to go boom almost every time. Almost every time for sure on the first shot.They've done tests you know. 70% of the time it works every time!!I swear I've even got it to shoot through a whole mag once or twice without jamming. Now thats performance!! For those who don't know this is called sarcasm!!!I do have a jennings however. My best friend has a chromed one. He used to keep it on a butter dish in his fridge. He called it his last ditch do you mind if I get a drink Mr bad guy holdout gun. Afterall it was almost for sure going to go off with the first shot!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A piece of shit is a piece of shit, regardless of how pretty the gun is, or how much it cost, or who made it.

Sounds like you're just a SNOB

No, not really. Well, then again, maybe...but if I am, I'm a function snob. A rusty $75 Makarov that works is a better pistol than a $950 Kimber that doesn't.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#49]
for those buying inexpensive guns...you are not going to bet your life on it should you need a gun for self defense, are you?  Maybe your gun snobs would just hate to see you get killed because your cheap junk jammed when you needed it most...Maybe they actually care about you and hate to see you make a bad judgement error in buying a gun.  Did your Mom or Dad recommend a reliable, quality piece?  See, these so called snobs, actually love you more than your own mom and dad...should scorn their concern for you...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#50]
No matter how much you polish a turd, you still have a turd.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top