Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT
I just recently started shooting when I found out there was a new range close to my house. Can anyone suggest a really good cleaning kit and explain the best way to care for my new guns. The guns I have so far are Glock 17, Walther p99, H&K Mark 23, and a Ed Brown Classic Custom 1911. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The kits generally include a bunch of stuff you won't use and you will need to buy some caliber specific stuff that's not in the kit.

Get a pistol rod, 9mm jag and brush, .45 jag brush, cotton pistol patches, the bore solvent of your choice, a GI toothbrush, some light teflon oil, and maybe some Tetra grease. I like a little grease on the slide rails instead of oil because when you carry the gun all the time, the oil runs out the muzzle end after a few days. You should be able to buy all of this for around $20 at any gun shop or Wal Mart.

Cotton swabs, rags, tooth picks, and a can of compresssed air will also come in handy. Boresnakes are really nice, but I tend to use them more on rifles. I also have a bore light, a dental mirror and pick set, and keep it all in a cheap little plastic tool box.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
personally i like the boresnakes better.  yes they are more practical for rifles but i am too lazy to keep putting new patches on the jag so it is much better for me in any firearm.  that reminds me i need to wash mine--machine washable too.  the only down side is that they are kind of expensive--$12-$17 depending on where you look.  on the up side though you don't need the rod, jags, or brushes.  and you can use them on revolver cylinders if you ever get any of those.  granted they aren't the best tool for that job but they aren't bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean your guns each time you take them out shooting. As the others list the parts needed for a good cleaning, I add oiling them well before you put them away.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Ryan
Welcome to the site!
There are some really good (in my view) tutorials by ken_mays you can look at.  Start with the "Handgun"  section. After you have opened it, click on the "Handgun discussions" post and when it opens the fourth post down is the one I am referring to by Cleaning Tutorials by ken_mays
I have e-mailed him and he is really good about answering questions you may have.  I have seen nothing better yet
Learning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top