Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 3:23:29 PM EDT
I have recently taken to shooting at our local indoor range since the outside temp is not condusive for extended range practice.

My problem, I have a springfield loaded with novak night sights and I have a heck of a time picking up my front sight pic. the lighting indoors is too bright for my tritium glow yet not bright enough to see my sights worth a damn. The targets are lit well but the shooting position in the lane is not.

We are shooting IPSC style matches with multiple targets and stages.

Slow fire is not a problem, however I am trying to better my times at our club shoots. My scores arent bad but damn if I could pick up my sight faster I could greatly improve my times.

Dawson? I thought this would be a good solution, but shooting my friends STI I noticed that the dawson was black (not enough light to light it up)

I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me check and see what kind of sights came on my Kimber Eclipse Target. They are night sights but the front sight has a heavy white outline.

ETA: They're Meprolights, adjustable target set. I don't have any trouble picking up the front sight day or night.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Good recommondation. I think the white ring would help
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Truglo TFOs seem to work best across the broadest range of light conditions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Truglo TFOs seem to work best across the broadest range of light conditions.

I agree. For a competition gun I can't think of anything better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been on a never ending search for sights for my Springfield TRP - I too have that tiny, crappy novak night sight on the front, and I cannot see the thing unless it is dark.

Meprolight does not make sights for a Novak cut on a 1911. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 possibilities - at www.novaksights.com - they now make new fiber optic sights that will fit the existing cut. And, MMC sights - http://www.mmcsight.com/ - If I got these, I would go w/ just the white dot sights. I have heard that their tritium sights are not that bright.

Novak does sell a set of sights w/ a brighter white ring around the night sight - not sure why Springfield puts the crappier of the 2 Novak versions of night sights on their guns.

I am going to a big gun show this weekend, and will be looking at the various sights. Then, I will decide which of the two. I don't feel like paying for another set of night sights when I already have them on the gun - so, it's either fiber optics or white dot for me.

But, U may be able to call Novak and swop out just the front sight, if you can live with the back. I personally don't like the rear sight either, with the silver ring around them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I would get a Trijicon or get someone to put the white ring around the tritium insert like Trijicon's sights have. Like this:

Note: I stole this image from Pistol Wrench's post on "The Grey Gun II" (or something like that) that you'll find by searching this forum: forums.1911forum.com

You'll probably never shoot at night or in low light so the tritium is just "insurance". A white dot (or white ring) on the front really helps me pick up the front sight in the day. I shoot USPSA (run and shoot pratical pistol) competitions and get some real use out of my pistols, so I know what I like.

I'm pretty sure you won't get the white ring (around the tritium insert) with Heinies or Novaks because they just install the insert which is surrounded by an aluminum "can". I have both Heinies and Novak's and while these are great sights, I miss something bright on the front to aid in "pick-up" of the front sight. The tritium insert itself is not that easy to see in the day without the white ring.

I have the Yo-Bo retro rears and they're my favorite rear sight. I got them with a Yo-Bo installed front with a gold line inlay which is quite nice and I recommend them. I also have Yo-Bo Pro grade sights with tritium inserts in a "straight-8" config. They're good but I wish they had th white ring around the insert that Trijicon's have. Here's a pic of my Yo-Bo retros with the gold inlay front.

A good smith will be able to select the correct size for you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, it seems that Novak makes 2 different versions of their night sights (the one that sucks is called the "Serrated night sight":

I came across a thread on a 1911 website - they had the number to the company who does work for trijicon - they can put their inserts into your sights - unfortunately, if you don't already have THEIR tritium inserts, they want $220 in total for it ($99 w/ labor if you do already have their inserts) - it's cheaper to buy new sights and get them put on.

I plan to try to look at the MMC sights up close this weekend, but more than likely, I will buy these:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
HOT DAMN  Shipwreck, thank you

I just ordered a set of fiber optics from Novak. I really think this will be the ticket. Red front/green rear.

I almost went with the TRP. Here is direction I went with. I fell head over heels for the black TRP, but could not afford the 1300.00 right off the bat.

Purchased a new Parked loaded for $595.00 last year

Tommorow 1/19 I am having the following installed

STI infinity trigger system, silver base/black medium curved shoe
STI super match hammer, sear, spring set. 1.5lb trigger pull
Smith and Alexander 1pc main spring housing/magwell 20 line checkered
Wilson combat slide stop,slightly longer mag release, safety

After I shoot the piss out of it it will take a trip back to springfield for front strap checkering, Schuman(sp)? bushingless bull barrel, STI FLGR, black armorkote.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, let me know how U like them. I am debating between the fiber optics (I plan to send my slide to Novak) or MMC. If I go w/ Novak fiber optics, I'll send the slide off next week. If I go w/ MMC, I will wait until I send the whole thing to Tripp for refinishing - he will then put the MMCs on for me, I'm wanna look at the MMCs up close first, though....

I like the red rear and the green front - the green should be brighter, and I'd rather have the brighter portion up front.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, it seems that Novak makes 2 different versions of their night sights (the one that sucks is called the "Serrated night sight":

img7.imageshack.us/img7/3920/allfrontsw8nv.jpg

img8.imageshack.us/img8/4656/crg3dots00057wsmall1ub.jpg

img8.imageshack.us/img8/8476/crgset00075wsmall1zb.jpg

The front that I shot  a bit on a custom gun was close to the 2nd from the left.  For night sights, it seemed to be the keeper although the blade is still too wide for me. The sight was easily picked up in all conditions.  

Another option  is some paint on the blade without obscuring the tritium.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I have the one all the way on the left, and it is terrible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would get a Trijicon or get someone to put the white ring around the tritium insert like Trijicon's sights have. Like this:

www.the-gunsmith.com/sarge/12-17-05%20SIZED/4.jpg

Note: I stole this image from Pistol Wrench's post on "The Grey Gun II" (or something like that) that you'll find by searching this forum: forums.1911forum.com

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Eager/1991YoBo_rear01.jpg

A good smith will be able to select the correct size for you.

I have a setup like this on my 1911. Meprolight front sight with black Novak rear.
Works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Before you do any of that stuff-

Try having a 'smith trim your front sight to .100". It's probably .125" or so from the factory.

Also make sure the rear notch is at least .125", even better make it .130" or so.

You'll find the front sight easier like this than with any of that fiberoptic stuff.

My STI and Glock 35 both have .100" fronts & .125 rear notches. I can find the sights easily & I don't really notice the fiberoptic on the STI. I'm planning on changing it out to a plain black .100" this season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top